Canon's new $30,000 video camera does only 1080p

LimitBreak

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lol.  Just couldn't bring yourself to make the title "Canon introduces 4 million ISO camera" like everyone else.  On the other hand I love a title that tells you the author's agenda right out of the gates!

No doubt, talk about burying the lead.

ISO 4,000,000. Four freaking million! 

Amazing.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Am I wrong or do the sample images not look substantially less noisy than the A7s?

http://www.filmanddigitaltimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/NYC-Night-51.2K_ISO.png

Actually this doesn't look far from the 5DIII. That looks pretty unimpressive especially the 36.000 ISO picture they have on that site you linked, not that better than the C100/300 in noise at 20-30.000 ISO or a7s.Tons of NR smearing, SD-720p resolution and tons of chroma noise.

I wonder if these two images are legit.

Will the sensor is only 2 mp resulting in bigger pixels/photosites , while the A7S is 12 mp, so if Sony were to make the A7sII 8 MP for 4K capability with BSI and other enhancements it can probably reach above 1 million + ISO.

And without real world results and how much noise it generates, how much DR it retains, etc.. we can not tell.

you need more than 8mp for 4k

my A7S aint as clean as that at 51000iso!  in shots like that with little to no fill light the a7s isn't much use above 16,000.  now if that shot had a little 1x1 led panel around 25meters behind the camera position as a fill, I'd pretty sure the noise would be near gone.  

The real stand-out for me is that Canon managed to put in two motorized ND filters, despite the small size and massive full frame sensor. So, if you want, you can shoot this camera in daylight. As we move to full frame 4K sensors with larger pixels and massive sensitivity, internal ND filters will increasingly become a necessity. Stacking ten filters in front of your lens just to bring your camera back into exposure range is just not practical. I remember having to scrounge for every ND I could find to shoot in broad daylight with an FS100 and still winding up at f16. Really wished for an FS700 then....

Is it valid to say "no internal recording and only 1080p for $30,000 - that sucks?" well the customers who will buy this camera for the set of Big Brother or an astrophysicist up in his telescope will say that isn't a valid criticism at all - they will want a live feed off the back of the camera, no need for internal recording, no need for 4K either as delivery will be in 720p or even SD...but it is valid in the sense that there must be quite a bit of margin in this camera!! And it is a shame that Canon are not so innovative in their DSLR imaging at the moment by comparison.

Exactly - the Phantom Miro is what - $45k? it only records 1080p, has a limited dynamic range compared to any other camera at that price point, is rated at 640 ISO, ideally needs a data umbilical to a computer to function properly, can only record 3 seconds at a time at max fps, and that must be triggered 'after the fact'... and that still seems to have found a market - so I imagine this will too.

Exactly - the Phantom Miro is what - $45k? it only records 1080p, has a limited dynamic range compared to any other camera at that price point, is rated at 640 ISO, ideally needs a data umbilical to a computer to function properly, can only record 3 seconds at a time at max fps, and that must be triggered 'after the fact'... and that still seems to have found a market - so I imagine this will too.

Yeah. I think this will be a magnificent tool for shooting nature documentaries in low light. It's only recently when they've been using infrared lights, and cameras capable of filming in starlight or by using heat. This will be another tool in the box.

I'm thinking of documentaries like this one in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75qTQixq66Y

The EF-PL Mount for the C300ii might be included in the,
"Canon Service will put whatever mount on it you want".

https://youtu.be/-Oe2sZMWbvg?t=8m25s

That entire video is amazing.  That video really should have its own thread.  Did one of those guys say VER bought over 100 C300s for their rental business?!  The first minute and five seconds of that clip is something everyone on this forum needs to watch.  That first minute would end so many internet rants it's not even funny.  And really as someone who isn't even in the videography business it pretty much echoes what I've been saying for years because it mirrors every job I've had since college.  When you are doing something for a lot of money you need something straight forward that works 100% of the time.  If I was a pro with EF lenses I know what I would own or rent.

• Super Members

Only for people that don't value their skills over their gear.

yes, the most skilled shooters love bad gear. Nothing makes them happier than worrying about gear that break.

Because they are so skilled they feel a lack of challenge or excitement unless their stuff has really buggy firmware and dodgy build quality. 

That's why all the big names in Hollywood use Magic Lantern, under performing SD cards, fourth party batteries. 

Ok I'll stop :)

Really skilled people want stuff that's good enough but works. Because they want to shot. 

yes, the most skilled shooters love bad gear.

My ambigious point being:  if you're a pro and have a great skill set, you're not worried about GAS, you're just doing the job with what works for your situation, such as a c300, or an Alexa, or a 4 million ISO camera, or a RED Minotaur, or a BMPCC crash cam, or whatever.  And you're probably not on internet forums like me, waiting for FCP7 rending to finish on a crappy corporate video job...

My ambigious point being:  if you're a pro and have a great skill set, you're not worried about GAS, you're just doing the job with what works for your situation, such as a c300, or an Alexa, or a 4 million ISO camera, or a RED Minotaur, or a BMPCC crash cam, or whatever.  And you're probably not on internet forums like me, waiting for FCP7 rending to finish on a crappy corporate video job...

Use your procrastination time to download FCPX and be done with the old pensioner FCP7. It will turn you into a corporate video genius...guaranteed! :d