Interesting Canon interview with Masaya Maedya on C500 future, XC10, mirrorless 4K, future DSLR Log option,

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

There is something about this interview, I have to reflect on.
In Japan, most of Far-East, if a manager talks about their problems, difficulties, that has to be appreciated. It is more a sign of trust, and anything but arrogance. 

It is difficult to see behind the curtains, but I still believe, Canon has made mistakes or nothing, they have ignored important market and technology changes. It is though clear from their Cinemaline cameras that they have the technology. They offer it for an interesting segment of professionals, who understand technology, know what they want, and can pay for it. Canon also offers products for that other interesting segment of millions of amateurs, who do not understand and don’t want to pay either. And we, enthusiasts, are stuck in the middle. We do understand, we know what we want, but we don’t want to (can’t) pay. This is the segment, Canon doesn’t want to take seriously. I believe, Canon is making a critical mistake…. 

Back to technology. Canon can obviously produce beautiful 4K film material. And they are genius about one thing. They use native 4K sensors, even in the XC10, and this means no downsampling, no need for processor power. This is why, I doubt the heating-problem explanation…

On the other hand, if I had Canon lenses and wanted to use them on a large-format sensor 4K camera, I wouldn’t wait for Canon’s 5Dxxx, for 3.000 EUR.
I would buy a Blackmagic URSA. Now.

And now to something completely different. 

Dear Ebrahim,

I am really sorry about, what you have experienced.
This happens everywhere, but we don’t need this bad feeling here.
I run a somehow similar hobby-site, and we ban the people, who can’t behave. Of course, they can come back with a new user-ID, but we have made our point. Maybe Andrew should know about this.

Take care and take pictures :-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

But then Canon likely believes that their average Rebel customer filming birthday parties and baseball games isn't ready for 4K yet anyway. Nikon certainly said as much on record.

Does they also think  DSLR-videographers  are NOT ready for 4K\LOG,even pixel binning instead of line-skipping?

Is that the reason why Canon not giving  their users all those features?

I will suggest they learn from Apple,think differently! 

The 1dc is three years old and it can handle the workload, along with being one of the 2 or 3 best sports cameras ever produced.

Not sure why people keep saying the 1dc is "3 years old".  It was released officially March 2013.  2 years 4 months old.  It came out AFTER the 5d3 and 1dx.  Hell Andrew didn't even review it until the end of April 2013, and we know that guy's pretty cutting edge.

http://www.eoshd.com/2013/04/the-canon-1d-c-review/

• Administrators

Not sure why people keep saying the 1dc is "3 years old".  It was released officially March 2013.  2 years 4 months old.  It came out AFTER the 5d3 and 1dx.  Hell Andrew didn't even review it until the end of April 2013, and we know that guy's pretty cutting edge.

Yep not out long and £12,000 in April 2013.... £4500 in December 2015 :)

• Administrators

Those are 7 out of the total 36 e-mails, the nicest 7, that make most sense, others are not written in understandable language just name-calling that I can't copy here as young children/women read this public forum and it's disrespectful. It's both funny but also really offending me. I will not reply however.

This is disgraceful!

Keep up the good work Ebrahim. It isn't easy doing anything worthwhile, people will always be jealous.

Basically if they were actually innovating there would be no need to imitate anybody.

If there wasn't a huge price difference I would agree more that if you add a little bit of size it becomes the C300, but that's not the case, even if they really needed to make it a little bit bigger, it wouldn't turn into a C300 because it wouldn't cost the same and not just that but if would have different limitations and it'd be directed at a different market.

Maybe Canon is really waiting to stablish themselves in the Cinema Market before getting back to invest in DSLR's video but I think that the clock is ticking. Although a lot of people are starting to go mirrorless there are still a lot of people that only know Canon as a video reference or is relutant to leave Canon lenses - which is starting to change since there are more and better active adapters now. Well, until there are still these many people buying and having Canon in this uninformed pedestal, I doubt Canon will feel any urge to be more aggressive and innovative. But as it was already discussed, that's such a lame posture by Canon.

It was announced in April of 2012, that's why I call it three years old. No worries.

wow that's some hardcore hate mail and accusations of fraud I've been receiving since I am the ''apparent' source on EOSHD and Rumor websites,

I don't appreciate hate mail, and never will I engage in replies. Let's just make it clear that:

I am not the source. The source is this Here you go http://www.hdvideopro.com/gear/cameras/cinema-eos-v2-0/page-2

Don't you worry about those. I appreciate your contributions to the EOSHD forum, and I bet there's a lot more of us than just me!

Cheers mate!

• 4 weeks later...

The Sony RX100M4 has a 5 minute recording time at the higher levels, then you have to wait for it to cool.

Canon use a heat sink in the 1DC so presumably can record longer.

Some of the posts say that Sony can do it with the RX100M4 but not mentioned the 5 minute recording time. So that is one of the trade-offs between the sizes of the cameras.