Interesting Canon interview with Masaya Maedya on C500 future, XC10, mirrorless 4K, future DSLR Log option,

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I haven't seen this anywhere here so thought I'd share. It's an interesting read. Masaya seemed to be a bit giggly (laughing, making jokes, wine?) and open-minded than usual, gave strange direct answers which I underlined below.

An interview with Canon's Managing Director and Chief Executive Masaya Maeda
By Neil Matsumoto

We got the chance to interview Masaya Maeda, Canon's Managing Director. Maeda gave us his thoughts on 4K, Cinema EOS, mirrorless cameras and DSLR lenses, as well as the new XC10 camera. 

HDVP: Happy to see that the C300 Mark II is offering 4K. On that note, what sort of future does the C500 have?

Masaya Maeda: There isn't anything I can say about the C500 at this point. We're currently investigating to see if we can take this product to the next level. We're looking into that now.

HDVP: When you say "next level," could we be seeing a more traditional digital motion-picture camera, like the ARRI ALEXA or the Sony F65?

Maeda: Yes, we're looking into this.

HDVP: Why has Canon been slow in transitioning to 4K for your DSLRs?

Maeda: Because we're slow (laughing). There are power consumption challenges, as well as heat issues, that we need to solve, so we're investigating what we can do right now. The DSLR camera will have to be compact in size because, if it becomes larger, it turns into a C300.

HDVP: One criticism of your DSLRs for video capture is the lack of a neutral or flat color profile. Will Canon Log ever be offered on your DSLRs?

Maeda: Yes, we're considering that, although I can't tell you what level that will be incorporated. In the future, we would like to bring that into our DSLRs.

HDVP: The mirrorless M-series is no longer available in the U.S., correct?

Maeda: When you look at the Canon sales companies, whether it's in the U.S. or Europe, they have the right to choose which products they want to carry.

HDVP: So it's a Canon USA decision?

Maeda: From a Canon Inc. perspective, we would like them to sell everything, but there are still a few stubborn people (laughing).

HDVP: We've seen the success of the Sony a7S and Samsung NX1 mirrorless cameras. Do you think there's a market for a Canon mirrorless 4K camera that doesn't fit in the Cinema EOS line?

Maeda: I think that's a promising product, but we don't like to imitate others, so I think it would be a slightly different product if we release something like that.

HDVP: One of the most innovative features in your cameras has been Dual Pixel CMOS AF. Have you received much feedback from filmmakers on the technology? If so, have they voiced their opinions on the effects the technology has had on film crews? Do you think it can potentially eliminate the focus puller?

Maeda: The Canon USA people have a better idea about feedback, but regarding the impression they've received, they're very pleased with the response. Although this technology has a high level of [focus] matching for filmmaking, it will still require a person who specializes in matching, so I don't necessarily think this will be the case. If only we could invent a camera that we could control with our brain, that could be the future (laughs).

HDVP: At the moment, STM lenses available aren't considered professional-quality lenses. Could we see STM lenses in the near future that have L-series- or Cinema EOS-like glass? Can they overtake USM lenses?

Maeda: Yes, there's that possibility, but the characteristics are completely different between the USM and STM, so in the near future, they will continue to exist separately and be used separately.

HDVP: What are your expectations with the new XC10, and how will it be used?

Maeda: We developed this small 4K camera so that the users themselves can figure out how to use it. We really want users to explore the camera, and we're looking forward to what they come up with. I hope that Canon USA is also exploring new ways that this camera can be used. Initially, my personal impression is that it was going to be suited for news crews.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes it's really strange he'd publicly say that, we have heat and power issues we still need to fix to go 4K in DSLRs basically!

I read that as an honest answer. This has been said over and over on this forum... Canon cameras just work. If you have 4K and it's overheating within 5 minutes, then it's not working, and since Canon's Rebel line is for enthusiasts, who will film their kid's birthday parties or baseball games, and it starts overheating before Susie blows out her candles, or before Billy gets up to the plate, that becomes a problem and in the end would hurt their brand more than not having it in the first place.

• Administrators

1D C / 1D X body quite a bit bigger than a mirrorless camera so they got away with sticking a big heat sink in it.

I think Canon need to wait for their new sensor manufacturing capabilities to come online before they will do it... as they are taking so long over doing that, chances are it might be pretty special and worth the wait. How much longer can one company - Sony - get away without being unchallenged?

I read that as an honest answer. This has been said over and over on this forum... Canon cameras just work. If you have 4K and it's overheating within 5 minutes, then it's not working, and since Canon's Rebel line is for enthusiasts, who will film their kid's birthday parties or baseball games, and it starts overheating before Susie blows out her candles, or before Billy gets up to the plate, that becomes a problem and in the end would hurt their brand more than not having it in the first place.

Yes good point...

But then Canon likely believes that their average Rebel customer filming birthday parties and baseball games isn't ready for 4K yet anyway. Nikon certainly said as much on record.

Yeh there is the thing though. Canon cant even get a 1" full HD down to the size of the Sony RX100.. The RX10 is able to record 4K for 1/2 hour and restricted due to tax laws not heat. A full frame 5D is way larger, but you cant get 4K in there without it burning up? Retina screens are getting more popular. Being able to take stills from 4K footage at 25fps is amazing. Nikon today pretty much just do the lenses and the camera body. Their sensors are Sony's and the processors are modified Fuji ones. The same is now happening to Canon. They cant keep up with Sony power. Sony is 40% of the global sensor market. Soon as Sony have the AF cracked and flash assist AF sorted I sadly think its going to be game over for Canikon. I sold all my canon gear to get the Sony A7S. The size is awesome, the zeiss lenses are perfect. For me now canon is like an old girlfriend you remember fondly but wont ever go back to.

They should of asked the Canon rep, "so how much more money can Canon lose until you are let go?"  After all, I heard they closed some of their "retail shops" in China a few weeks ago.  hahahahaha...   Only two reasons why canon is acting the way they are.  1) they just don't have the tech as mention earlier in this thread 2) upper management is stupid. 

However, if you look at the big picture, the real underlying problem is management is stupid.  Even if they currently don't have the tech, management is stupid for NOT cultivating new products and new technologies instead of sitting on their piles cash.... or presently, their fast shrinking piles of cash.

Dude, this may sound mean, but I hope canon crash and burns quickly.  IMHO, they are one of the most arrogant companies that string people along... oh, next model, we'll have xyz feature.. .oh just want until Mark blababhha.. and you'll get xyz feature.. oh just wait for the mark 4, etc.. and when the feature does come along; Oh, you want this feature?? That will be $15,000, etc., etc.. arrogant and not in a good way.  Crash and burn, baby!!!

• Super Members

I'm no huge Canon fan. I used to be. Bought the t3i when it was new and loved it. Good times.

But I must say that Canon has always given me the Apple vibe. On paper it looks expensive and without the latest and greatest features. But when using it you sort of get it. The features and hardware it does have work, and work very very well.

A camera I've always been intrigued by but never owned is tha XA20. The little sister of the XF100 but with a longer zoom and slowmo. I thought, "it seems nice but man, that price".

First time I played with it, Ahh now I get it, and want it more than ever.

Same with the C100.

And now the xc10. The dvx200 and xc10 I think will be the two most underrated cameras this year.

Slow lenses, weird features, high prices aside. When Canon does something they might not do it right but they do it well. And Panasonic, they do lots of things but when they finally make a successor to a legend, it will be sweet. 

To me the XC10 thread here and on other places is a pretty good example. Nothing but hate. Everything was wrong, everything. And then it stopped. 

Because the footage looks great and the actual user experiences are positive. 

Any who, don't exactly know the point of this post since I'm a little bit drunk from drinking beer while waiting on Indian food, but those where my thoughts.  

Good point but the GH4 seems pretty rock solid, so it reflects badly on Canon if they are not able to do something similar. Heck my LX100 is limited by Panasonic to 15 minutes due to overheat concerns, but at least I have never had an issue shooting for 15 minutes straight, and I usually stop after a few minutes, start up again etc many times. I can handle a birthday party just fine with that camera even ;)

They cant keep up with Sony power. Sony is 40% of the global sensor market.

Please stop posting this nonsense with zero context.  A big chunk of Sony's sensor sales are for camera phones and they see "selfies" as a big opportunity for them.  What relevance does that have to the discussion we are having and Canon?

Sony counts on 'selfies', video calls to drive image sensor growth

Sony Corp is counting on the boom in smartphones and the market's voracious appetite for megapixels - vital to better quality video calls and "selfies" - to sustain the double-digit revenue growth in its image sensor business. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/25/us-sony-sensors-idUSBREA2O0PQ20140325

The areticle doesn't even mention DSLRs or mirrorless cameras nor 4k.

Canon has enough real world issues.  No need to take a trip to fantasy land.

IMHO, they are one of the most arrogant companies that string people along... oh, next model, we'll have xyz feature.. .oh just want until Mark blababhha.. and you'll get xyz feature.. oh just wait for the mark 4, etc.. and when the feature does come along; Oh, you want this feature?? That will be $15,000, etc., etc.. arrogant and not in a good way.  Crash and burn, baby!!!

I'd love to see even a single quote from Canon that has promised something and not delivered. They simply don't promise things like that... so you only have yourself to blame if you have read somewhere that can will do this, that or the other and it hasn't come true.

They are ultra conservative and move when they want, not when we want.... It is a shame, we all dream of some kind of 1DC with ML turbo boost... and we all know it is probably very possible.... But Canon will only move when they absolutely have to.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well the GH4 has a quarter sensor size of a 5D, less than quarter when shooting 4K. 

The RX10II, RX100IV, AX100, X70, XC10, FZ1000, LX100 are all a tiny fraction of the sensor size on the 5D.

It just may be the technology hasn't been ready for a small 4K FF camera, in fact nobody does it, (1DC comes closest) and even Sony, still to this day can't do it on the A7s due to heat issues.

So not having internal FF 4K is justifiable (well nobody else does it, as of 2011 to now) but not having good FF 1080p isn't justifiable however (Others do it, well the A7s and D810)

We all know Canon is not going to give the rebel s35 line internal 4K before the FF 5D, so I guess that could very well be the reason for the long delay, is that they are pretty obligated to give it to the 5D before lower end models. 

They better hurry up however as an A7rII with 4K FF is coming soon and that one will make it unjustifiable not have a 4K 5D IV in the same era. 

Good point but the GH4 seems pretty rock solid, so it reflects badly on Canon if they are not able to do something similar. Heck my LX100 is limited by Panasonic to 15 minutes due to overheat concerns, but at least I have never had an issue shooting for 15 minutes straight, and I usually stop after a few minutes, start up again etc many times. I can handle a birthday party just fine with that camera even ;)

Yeah.  I need a source for this Canon story.  I don't know which is worse.  Maybe he is lying to protect higher margin products, or maybe he is telling the truth and they can't produce power efficient cool 4k sensors.  Either way it is a poor showing in the consumer products.  15 minutes of record time is more than enough for me.  Unless I'm waiting for a chance fleeting event I usually don't record for more than 30 seconds.  I don't do any narrative or journalism stuff.  A birthday party can easily be covered by 30 second or less takes.  Singing happy birthday will be the longest take most of the time!

What is quite funny is that Sony are now doing to Canon, in the consumer end, what RED did to Sony in the high end. Bullishly bringing out state of the art specs at a much lower price, to try and gain market share.... Canon will have to react.

Yeah.  I need a source for this Canon story.  I don't know which is worse.  Maybe he is lying to protect higher margin products, or maybe he is telling the truth and they can't produce power efficient cool 4k sensors.  Either way it is a poor showing in the consumer products.  15 minutes of record time is more than enough for me.  Unless I'm waiting for a chance fleeting event I usually don't record for more than 30 seconds.  I don't do any narrative or journalism stuff.  A birthday party can easily be covered by 30 second or less takes.  Singing happy birthday will be the longest take most of the time!

Really, most people I know record the entire party. They move throughout the party and hide behind the camera, people wave to the camera and wish the kid happy birthday. They record the entire gift process, the birthday cake, of course you need it on record that the guests are eating the food you shelled out money for or the wife made.

If he is lying, then they are analyzing the market, why spend the money on r&d, if the lack of 4K has zero affect on their sales... or why throw a lot of resources at it?

I really doubt they have heat issues.

I think is more of a profit problem, they need the cheapest approach possible to obtain 4k in a smaller body.

Processing power already exists to downscale high megapixels to 4k, high quality and small processors at 20nm or 14nm can be done and they don't overheat, but hey, they cost, canon wants dirt cheap components.

If a mobile phone can do 4k, gh4, samsung nx1, go pro 3, phantom 3 camera, it's kind of obvious Canon wants a 4k camera that costs as little as possible  to make and get sold at absurd Canon premium price.

Man, if it weren't for the lenses, they keep milking the poor people traped in the canon system lenses.

Whats the source of this interview? Neil seems to work at hdvideopro.com but I can't find this interview online. Is it from the print magazine? It all sounds legit, but a source would be nice... Kind of weird to just copy paste a wall of text here without proper credits if you ask me.