How crippled is the Samsung NX500?

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Reviews of 6th Ave Express on ebay have someone claiming they sold them a counterfeit GH4.

Intriguing price.  Not sure if I'm down with huge crop factor for 4k nor the lack of manufacturer's warranty.

Well, those 7 negative comments are vs. 826 positive ones. You're never going to get 100% of the buyers satisfied, some of those may well be competitors. Besides, there are a million protections these days: we have the 14 day money back protection, the eBay protection, the PayPal protection, and the credit card protection. Not to say all said and done we're talking about $344 bucks, so the thought of risk didn't even occur to me.

But buyers, note that this is just the body (they're taking out the lens), it isn't same as the retail packaging that goes for $799 regular.

You're never going to get 100% of the buyers satisfied, some of those may well be competitors.

Everyone I checked on that first page of results had a higher customer satisfaction... and a higher price.  Just giving everyone a heads up.  If you order check your purchase out and realize you have no manufacturer's warranty.  I'm not telling people not to buy.  Just giving information.  I'm tempted but I'll at least wait to see how people's orders turn out.

If you order be sure to post back... good or bad.

• Super Members

Well, those 7 negative comments are vs. 826 positive ones. You're never going to get 100% of the buyers satisfied, some of those may well be competitors. Besides, there are a million protections these days: we have the 14 day money back protection, the eBay protection, the PayPal protection, and the credit card protection. Not to say all said and done we're talking about $344 bucks, so the thought of risk didn't even occur to me.

But buyers, note that this is just the body (they're taking out the lens), it isn't same as the retail packaging that goes for $799 regular.

There is pretty much zero risk to be a buyer on eBay. Seller on the other hand, absolutely nothing stopping buyers from ripping you of.

I wouldn't have a problem buying anything from eBay but I would never sell something expensive. 

I read on PV that the NX500 does not have focus peaking a in 4k mode - does anyone know if that is that still the case?

Does anyone know what is is the native luma range is (as Andrew said there is no setting option?)

Does anyone know if the NX500's HDMI outputs a signal when recording 4k and if so is what the resolution is and if it is clean?

Thanks!

I'm thinking about buying one as well from there. Hope everything works out.

Thanks, I'll post when I get it. I ordered it yesterday morning, and it's supposed to be delivered today, but I am not home, so it may not arrive until tomorrow. 

I read on PV that the NX500 does not have focus peaking a in 4k mode - does anyone know if that is that still the case?

Does anyone know what is is the native luma range is (as Andrew said there is no setting option?)

Does anyone know if the NX500's HDMI outputs a signal when recording 4k and if so is what the resolution is and if it is clean?

Thanks!

No peaking during 4K. Lame, I know. You can prefocus in video preview mode, but useless for racking focus during the shot. 

0-255 I believe. Either way, your editor should handle it just fine. 

I believe it's a clean 8-bit 4:2:0 4K signal, so there's not a huge benefit to external recording unless you really don't want to transcode. 

"You can prefocus in video preview mode, but useless for racking focus during the shot."

Not quite. If you have a lens with a manual focus switch, you can use focus peaking to focus *outside of video preview mode.* Then when you press record or go into video preview mode your subject remains in focus at the point you set. No big deal.

However, if you cannot switch the lens to MF (there is no switch on the lens as is true for many NX lenses), then no matter what you did to focus outside of video preview mode, every time you go into video preview mode or start a video it will go into AF - you lose the focus point in most cases you determined using peaking. You can switch back to MF within video preview mode or course, but you will be unable to use peaking. This is more than just "lame."

I really like the 500 for video, but this focus limitation is really bad.

Okay, I received my NX500 today. It was not made of chocolate, or anything. I don't have a lens for it, so I will not be able to test it out until my adapters arrive, but it looks new and although the box was opened to remove the lens, it was resealed with a professional looking sticker. I will have time to charge it and mess with the menu tomorrow morning. 

Okay, I received my NX500 today. It was not made of chocolate, or anything. I don't have a lens for it, so I will not be able to test it out until my adapters arrive, but it looks new and although the box was opened to remove the lens, it was resealed with a professional looking sticker. I will have time to charge it and mess with the menu tomorrow morning. 

Or take some cool lens-less photos!