SLR Magic Rangefinder footage - kiss goodbye to focus breathing / Kowa anamorphic goes single focus

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As interesting as the rangefinder is, I am much more interested in the slr magic anamorphic prime lenses that they spoke of. I think a true anamorphic lens is the only way to overcome the short comings of using all of these various adapters. And I also would love to see a sharp anamorphic zoom with a reasonable price tag... That means affordable for normal people... Under $3k.

As interesting as the rangefinder is, I am much more interested in the slr magic anamorphic prime lenses that they spoke of. I think a true anamorphic lens is the only way to overcome the short comings of using all of these various adapters. And I also would love to see a sharp anamorphic zoom with a reasonable price tag... That means affordable for normal people... Under $3k.

the concept lens they showed at CineGear was made with the optics from a 70mm taking lens, 2x Anamorphot and a Rangefinder, all placed in a single housing. the benefit of having them all together would be to eliminate alignment issues, which a lot of users of anamorphic projection lenses seem to have trouble with.

the concept lens they showed at CineGear was made with the optics from a 70mm taking lens, 2x Anamorphot and a Rangefinder, all placed in a single housing. the benefit of having them all together would be to eliminate alignment issues, which a lot of users of anamorphic projection lenses seem to have trouble with.

I've heard about using spherical lenses in place of Anamorphic lenses. What are the benefits and which lenses work best in this capacity?

Would it work with this setup? I like the picture from it, but so far found it too cumbersome to use much:

• Moller 32/2x Anamorphic lens
  • Redstan Clamp 
  • Russian lens helios 44

Thanks!

Still not clear to me whether my setup could be used with this..

I know Monet, this is not Monet. And I have lived in Berlin, and it's an okay city but you don't become an artist because you move there. It's full of angry poor young people complaining about newcomers stealing their jobs.

It's confusing me when you're putting pretentious prose and soft generic music in a test video for a lens and calling it filmmaking.

There's no balls here, just filming people without them knowing usually from a distance. 

(Insert ironic smiley here to deflate any hurt feelings)

Hallo Miraud,

interesting catchy terms you´re giving- motivating further communication:)

Poverty mostly comes from exploitation of one´s labor. Respect for the hardworking angry poor people of all ages! You were bold enough to leave that aspect out,

so I guess it takes formal boldness to be leaving out up close in your face shots. There is no boldness just in filming people from close.

It would be interesting enough to analyse Andrew´s piece regarding the formal, visual decisions have been taken by him.

I think, it is a beautifully done little vignette about the daily ways of things, with sense for motif, combination and order

of different framings and shotlengths. It´s an opptimistic outlook on the opportunity this place is providing, a stimulating poetic and also practical overview of different places

and activities. Do you have other pieces within that running time providing this kind of overview, and that in a stimulating but also factual manner? Haven´t seen too many.

Berlin is not an just okay city, it´s a beautiful as any place in world, when you don´t let it be stolen from you by people with money they´ve been steeling from

the hardworking people they´ve been exploiting. Takes boldness to make a film about that in Germany, because there is not a large audience for it over here,

so financial risk would be quiet a bit involved in that bold task. Would you like to share your pieces? Maybe I can understand your point of view a little bit better.

(no irony intended)

Cheers

Thank you sir!

Berlin is a tricky place to live in at times but it's worth it.

You think living here is exhausting, try living here and having two jobs, one running EOSHD and one being a filmmaker :)

You are welcome sir! Have been inspired by your forum and your work quiet a bit. If you like assistance, I´m a man not shy of hard labor:)

Loved your Bolex vid too, showing me a place where i pass by every day but having never been there- that´s what I meant by inspiring people to take opportunity.

Opportunity- quiet an American paradigm we people cannot be pushed towards to enough! Thank you for that and that in a tasteful and appetizing manner! :)

This is all very cool, but if it has a rotating front element it means that it almost demands a matte box, but the second you place it within the matte box you can't reach the focus ring gears, right?

i use 82mm Hoya ProND with the Rangefinder and an adjustable top flag instead of a matte box to control flares.

Where do I pre-order? :)

this has been long awaited for me. The FM module only works with Cinelux anas, and the Rectilux (while I'm sure it's good quality), is way on the expensive side of things. This is the ideal solution: screws on like a filter. The only thing to sort is neutral density. I wish there were more lens-to-camera adapters with built-in filter holders (added bonus of buying smaller filters).

It fits over anything provided you have the means to attach it. No idea what the thread is on those. You will probably have to clamp it like I did with the Kowa. It's no fuss.

Thanks Andrew!   Could you perhaps post some pics of how you have your Kowa Clamped... just trying to get some ideas.   What's the thread size on the Rangefinder?

Do you guys think a cinelux with an rx10 II and rangefinder would work?

I know most anamorphic users use manual glass, but im curious about cameras with lenses.

EDIT: Ah crap.  never mind, that extending lens makes it very complicated.

Have you seen Seb's pictures of the rangefinder?  It's quite large, even though it's smaller, or maybe thinner, than the FM or Rect.  But it has almost the same front as the Rect and it does extend a little when close focusing.

Thinking about the smaller version of the Rangefinder...

You can call me crazy but... i was thinking that it could be useful for BMPCC users to use it with Nikon 1 lenses (especially the wide zoom 6,7-13mm).

Would it be possible?

Unlikely due to the shorter flange focal distance of 1 mount compared to micro four thirds. 17 vs 19.25. I think the nikon 1 lenses are too fat to go inside the mft mount, so an adapter would add to the distance. 

I supose its possible that the lens can focus to more than infinity, and there might be some leway in the Rangefinder.  I presume that one would have to make a bespoke adapter as no-one will have yet tried to put a 1 sysyem lens on a mft camera for the above reason. Im guessing that due to the control by wire one would have to conect it to a 1system body to set it to infinity and set the aperture. And that presumes the settings will remain when you take the lens off.  

Having said all that, i would love to see someone try it.  Overall though it would probably be easier to go with mft lenses or a speed booster.  I would. Like to see if the Rangefinder would go on and fullu cover a 7-14 or an 8-16 with their curved front element.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Just arrived today, and as soon as those step-up rings to attach it to all me glass arrive I'll begin testing. 

The one lens that I have with a 77mm thread, the ef 16-35mm 2.8, shows some initial findings:

The rangefinder makes the lenses wider, by more than 2 mms at least, which does make a difference with a 16mm (positive or negative). 

The glass elements are huge and coated with a markedly blue coating material, giving the lens all blue flares that look pleasing to me, it seems intentional, as the colour matches anamorphic flare colour. I love the flares on it but not everyone.

IMG_0009.thumb.JPG.8b9506a365ac63d4e2660

It's bigger and heavier and better build thank you think, it really screams pro cinema grade, the focus ring is exactly similar to the Canon CN-E lenses, but a bit more stiff than CP.2s. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So I see is flares, lots and lots of flares subtle colour coldness. Intentionally searching for a spot where flare is over the top

Before 

zgNXF7s.jpg?1

After

6imtO3c.jpg?1

This the most extreme situation keep that in mind. I actually like it but that not for everybody. 

(Also note on the antique TV, there's a markedly wider field of view with the Rangefinder)