which 2 ND strengths?

dhessel

Finally going to be getting a mattebox and using solid NDs rather that a variable one. I am wanting to get 2 ND s that when stacked will give me 3 strengths. I will be wanting to shoot ISO 800 at 1/48 second from 2.8 - 5.6, maybe 8 at most. What do you all think would be the best strengths to get for this scenario. Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What camera? Not an expert at all, but Hurlbut often examines the point with different cameras when too much nd causes ugly infrared pollution. Think it has to do with the filter the camera comes with right on the sensor, hard to find out without tests. Don't know about adding an infrared filter along with the nd at a certain strength or just being careful not to go too high with nd strength, but could be important to be aware of

The Sunny f/16 rule is helpful to determine the approximate exposure for typical settings:

Sunny: f/16 - ISO 100 - 1/100
Overcast: f/8 - ISO 100 - 1/100
Sunset: f/4 - ISO 100 - 1/100

In your case, ISO 800 = 1/800. You want 1/48 (1/50), so you need 4 stops of ND to correct for the shutter speed. And 1 to 5 extra stops of ND to compensate for the aperture if you want to shoot at f/2.8.

3 + 6 sounds about right. Enough to tame the bright sunlight when you combine them, and good for overcast/sunset using them separately.

The Sunny f/16 rule is helpful to determine the approximate exposure for typical settings:

Sunny: f/16 - ISO 100 - 1/100
Overcast: f/8 - ISO 100 - 1/100
Sunset: f/4 - ISO 100 - 1/100

In your case, ISO 800 = 1/800. You want 1/48 (1/50), so you need 4 stops of ND to correct for the shutter speed. And 1 to 5 extra stops of ND to compensate for the aperture if you want to shoot at f/2.8.

3 + 6 sounds about right. Enough to tame the bright sunlight when you combine them, and good for overcast/sunset using them separately.

Thank you, that is what I was thinking as well but have no pratical experience as I have always been able to dial whatever ND I wanted.

Thank you, that is what I was thinking as well but have no pratical experience as I have always been able to dial whatever ND I wanted.

I don't have practical experience with fixed ND's either, so don't trust me on my word... ;)