Sony A7R II official user thread

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I found it very odd that the noise was significantly higher in 1080p compared to 4k modes either FF or S35. Seems it is a completely different readout mode and not a downsampling of the 4k image, which is super clean at the same ISO ratio.

I found it very odd that the noise was significantly higher in 1080p compared to 4k modes either FF or S35. Seems it is a completely different readout mode and not a downsampling of the 4k image, which is super clean at the same ISO ratio.

Oh really? That's doubley bad news. I was hoping this would be something to replace the A7s and 5D so I have one body for stills and video but looking currently like this is a no go.

Oh really? That's doubley bad news. I was hoping this would be something to replace the A7s and 5D so I have one body for stills and video but looking currently like this is a no go.

These companies and their strategists know exactly what they are doing and know exactly how to position themselves by what they enable and disable in their products. I began to see this trend emerge as early as 2004. Pay more you get increased functionality, pay less and you end up frustrated and looking for work-arounds.
It wouldn't surprise me at if if these companies form strategic alliances with long range roadmaps to swing buyers in and out of their products... especially given the considerable expense of such items as lenses, it become highly profitable motive. 

So I decided to look at 1080p a bit since that question has come up. I shot a boring subject - the contents of a cabinet - because its raining outside. Everything was shot at ISO 6400, same shutter speeds, same aperture, STD profile 0,0,0 and AWB because this crap takes time and I didn't feel like messing with it. I have three images of combined screen caps. The first is 1080p from the A7rII in s35, FF and 1080p from the A5100 to compare. The second is 1080p quickly downsized from 4k on the A7rII in s35 and FF. The third is the full rez 4k frames.

Note - all the 4k was shot at 60mbps because I took the day off and I left my U3 card at the office. I used the FE 70-200 to try and match framing as close as possible. I left it at f/8, despite the differences when moving between FF and crop modes.

S35 is the cleanest in either 4k or 1080p, and downsized its clearly better than the others. Its a push between the s35 1080p on the A7rII and the A5100. FF is the worst at high ISO's, its much better at 1600 and below. 4k to 1080p really pops compared to 1080p in cam.

Its not the best scenario, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like. I don't have anything else to test it against. Right now the A5100 and A7rII are all that's in the bag.

1080p 6400.jpg

1080p from 4k.jpg

4k 6400.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's definitely a great camera, I'm loving my A7R2 a lot but there's one issue which is particularly troublesome for shooting video that I wish was getting more coverage from these big-name reviewers: the screen (and EVF) darkens substantially when shooting in 4K (but not in 1080p). Presumably this is done to reduce the heat, but it makes shooting in bright sunlight extremely difficult. I documented the issue here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAHGsw_ca9A&feature=youtu.be

Note that test was done in Manual but the issue also occurs when in Movie Mode (the screen darkens immediately when you switch to Movie Mode).  Also note that this is most noticeable when the screen brightness is set to the brightest setting (which they call "Sunny Weather"), which is of course what you'd want to use when shooting in bright conditions..

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I wish the A7R2 had was a 48p 1080 recording option.  Let me elaborate..

Normally I want to shoot at 25p in 4K for a cinematic look.  But occasionally if I want to shoot something in slo-mo I'll go down to 1080p so I can capture a clip at 50p, which allows me to slow it down to half speed and have the framerate match the rest of my footage.

However tonight I ran into a problem with this approach.  I live in North America (LA) and thus our fluorescent lights run at 60Hz.  When shooting inside my friend's house I saw a super noticeable strobing effect on all the footage I shot in his kitchen where the fluorescent lights are.

The solution of course is for me to shoot in NTSC at 24p, which would be fine for 4K, but whenever I want to shoot a slo-mo clip I'm now shooting at 60p, which does not divide into 24 evenly, creating some noticeable transcoding artifacts when you try to output the footage at 24p.

Since the camera can obviously shoot at 50p or 60p in 1080, why not give us the option of shooting at 48p so we have even multiplier of 24?

Apologies if I missing some obvious solution to this problem.. help me out here