Sony A7R II official user thread

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

While I would love an A7Rii I will be happy keeping my A7 and A7s pair instead.

42mp is a bit much for my current computer and I use ISO 51200 often with the A7s for stills and video even above that.     I find setting auto ISO to 102400 for video, the camera will often go to something like ISO 80,000 and that is still quite good.     I just use it to record bands using either a 17mm f4 or 24mm 3.5 Canon TS-E lens  often at f5.6 with the camera on a tripod or even table and get all the band in focus and turn it on and let it run (let the band do the work).  I don't need 4k for this and full HD from the camera FF is nice.

I would therefore not get as much use out of the A7Rii with ISO limited to 25600 for video.     The A7s also auto focuses to a lower light level than the A7Rii (or anything really) for stills at least in AF-S (DMF).

I can't seem to get IBIS to turn off using the Metabones Ultra Speedbooster. The option is greyed out, greyed out being ON and the Symbol for IBIS is displayed on screen while recording as well.

Not to seem alarmist or annoying, but can anyone confirm the camara has an internal fan? Because if you put it to your ear the camera in fact does rattle and hum, which is kind of new to me. 

I can't seem to get IBIS to turn off using the Metabones Ultra Speedbooster. The option is greyed out, greyed out being ON and the Symbol for IBIS is displayed on screen while recording as well.

Not to seem alarmist or annoying, but can anyone confirm the camara has an internal fan? Because if you put it to your ear the camera in fact does rattle and hum, which is kind of new to me. 

That is the IBIS in the work

@NTBLOWZ

it appears there are two types of sound. One constant humming even if IBIS is off and the slight rattling of the IBIS adjusting when it is on. The hum is very constant and it really resembles the sound of a fan. 

Update:

Got heat warning at around 25 minutes of rec time in 4k FF mode. It finished up to 30, then I swapped the battery as it was down to 6% and resumed record. The heat warning was gone. The battery change was performed very quickly. This is giving me hopes that the heat issue is in part due to battery adding heat in the body and this can be perhaps remedied by using a battery grip, or a battery dummy / external battery solution. 

@NTBLOWZ

it appears there are two types of sound. One constant humming even if IBIS is off and the slight rattling of the IBIS adjusting when it is on. The hum is very constant and it really resembles the sound of a fan. 

Update:

Got heat warning at around 25 minutes of rec time in 4k FF mode. It finished up to 30, then I swapped the battery as it was down to 6% and resumed record. The heat warning was gone. The battery change was performed very quickly. This is giving me hopes that the heat issue is in part due to battery adding heat in the body and this can be perhaps remedied by using a battery grip, or a battery dummy / external battery solution. 

I wonder can any one do test with external battery solution and see if that helps with long time recording?

@NTBLOWZ

Update:

That's very interesting actually.  The 1dx/1dc shooting stills will have the framerate reduced when the battery is less than 50% (I think the 5d3 as well).  Are you saying after only shooting 25 minutes your battery is almost completely gone?  Yikes.

5-axis sounds like a fan. I shot with the EM5 a few years ago and now the A7II/A7RII and they all sound similar - like a fan inside the camera.

Even if you turn IBIS off, the sensor is still suspended by the IBIS mechanism. Take off your lens, turn on the camera and you'll see it in action.

The 1dx/1dc shooting stills will have the framerate reduced when the battery is less than 50% (I think the 5d3 as well).  Are you saying after only shooting 25 minutes your battery is almost completely gone?  Yikes.

Where did he say battery ran out only after recording for 25 minutes and nothing else? 

I posted my heat testing results on DVXuser (mine was the camera that turned off without warning).

Further testing yesterday with an external power supply and a cable battery adapter, and there's no difference in overheating. Again around 27 minutes in S35 and about 48 mins (with a 1min break at 29mins) in FF. I did notice that in S35 4K mode, that it did sometimes overheat without first getting a temperature warning icon.

And testing with USB power wasn't enough to to keep the camera on.

I posted my heat testing results on DVXuser (mine was the camera that turned off without warning).

Further testing yesterday with an external power supply and a cable battery adapter, and there's no difference in overheating. Again around 27 minutes in S35 and about 48 mins (with a 1min break at 29mins) in FF. I did notice that in S35 4K mode, that it did sometimes overheat without first getting a temperature warning icon.

Why do you not use a recorder (then the 30 limits is also gone). 

In any case, there is the chance a fresh battery may somehow refresh the temperature of the camera. And let her work. The point is to know if this can bring any damage to the sensor. Worthy to give it a try and test the thing anyway, isn't it? ;-)

That's not good. Someone suggested to pull out the LCD screen to mitigate. I have both the A7s and A7R ii, + ShoGun, but leave for a trip today.