Sony A7R II official user thread

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello guys!

As promised here's a quick and dirty test of the various recording modes and picture profiles of the camera. Apologies for the quite crappy and changeable lighting conditions, i'll definitely do a better and more controlled test soon but at least it should give you some more indication about the camera performance..
Since it's quite a long video I put some chapters in the description so it's a bit easier to navigate :-)

I haven't yet had the chance of making a proper comparison with the α7S in terms of dynamic range but in my opinion it's very very close (which is quite a feat giving the resolution!). One thing is for sure, the base level of ISO800 for S-Log2 is so much easier and practical to work with than 3200! :-)

I've also shot some stills yesterday and I'm quite shocked by the insane amount of detail (and latitude) you get.. put that together with the ability to use a fully electronic shutter (that apparently for the first time ever has no penalties in terms of bit depth but i'm definitely gonna test that) and you get a timelapse dream camera! Let me know if you're interested in having a look at the RAW files and will upload some of them!

Thanks again for watching guys, let me know if there's something in particular you want tested and I'll do my best to do it! :-)

https://youtu.be/TzwEH_b9-3w

Hello guys!

As promised here's a quick and dirty test of the various recording modes and picture profiles of the camera. Apologies for the quite crappy and changeable lighting conditions, i'll definitely do a better and more controlled test soon but at least it should give you some more indication about the camera performance..
Since it's quite a long video I put some chapters in the video description so it's a bit easier to navigate :-)

I haven't yet had the chance of making a proper comparison with the α7S in terms of dynamic range but in my opinion it's very very close (which is quite a feat giving the resolution!). One thing is for sure, the base level of ISO800 for S-Log2 is so much easier and practical to work with than 3200! :-)

I've also shot some stills yesterday and I'm quite shocked by the insane amount of detail (and latitude) you get.. together with the ability to use a fully electronic shutter (that apparently for the first time ever has no penalties in terms of bit depth but i'm definitely gonna test that) and you get a timelapse dream camera! Let me know if you're interested in having a look at the RAW files and will upload some of them!

Thanks again for watching guys, let me know if there's something in particular you want tested and I'll do my best to do it! :-)

"silent film era" (1894–1929), please do not attempt to bring it back... That is not a review.

• Super Members

Hello guys!

Since it's quite a long video I put some chapters in the description so it's a bit easier to navigate :-)

I've also shot some stills yesterday and I'm quite shocked by the insane amount of detail (and latitude) you get.. put that together with the ability to use a fully electronic shutter (that apparently for the first time ever has no penalties in terms of bit depth but i'm definitely gonna test that) and you get a timelapse dream camera! Let me know if you're interested in having a look at the RAW files and will upload some of them!

Very good job, thanks alot for taking the time :)

• Administrators

Hello guys!

Thanks for the video Davide, great stuff. I'll feature it on the blog later!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Looks like quite apparent aliasing/moire happening with this guy, in s35 4K (and aliasing/moire is even more in FF based on Sony)

Yep, Vimeo downsampling 4K to 720p will do that!!

Until he shares the original footage that test is completely bunk.

I've opened a new thread here to discuss these issues:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/9067-aliasingmoiré-on-a7rii/

Having pre-ordered, this is one of my main concerns to pair RS. I hope you as early reviewer can pay a special attention on topics.

I guess we can take his word on the subject matter. I agree with Ebrahim, this can be a deal breaker. In any case, I think Caprock can be the last 2% we need to have a clean outcome from there.

i'll definitely do a better and more controlled test soon but at least it should give you some more indication about the camera performance..  Since it's quite a long video I put some chapters in the description so it's a bit easier to navigate :-)

Thank you Davide, the beauty of your London and the Thames river lansdscape ala Canaletto will remain in our memories. It's so rare to see so well composed images attached to the tests of a new camera !!

Granted, the A7rII with its multilayered Exmor sensor will be a game changer for the film industry, it deserves the first owner's tests be at such a professional level for both the image content and the metadata presentation (perfect tempo btw).

• Super Members

Yep, Vimeo downsampling 4K to 720p will do that!!

Until he shares the original footage that test is completely bunk.

Maybe on Vimeo. But on youtube my experience is actually the oposite.  Viewing a video in a smaller window than its resolution in other words not full screen will do it.

But viewing it converted to 720p in full screen shouldnt exaggerate the artifacts, in fact there should be less. Again this is from my tests on youtube,  can't swear by Vimeo.