Sony A7R II official user thread

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've just picked up an early shipment of the camera here in London! I'll do a field test and an evolving review over the next few days on my blog if anybody's interested! :-)

http://www.drlapse.com/?p=398

Full frame vs APS-C mode.

High ISO.

Rolling shutter.
Color rendering in all available color matrices.

Resolution.

Over/under exposure test. See how the sensor/codec responds to bringing up underexposed footage and bringing down overexposed footage. 

Highlight/shadow rolloff. See how the camera renders a normally exposed scene with one or two very dark shadows and another with one or two bright highlights.

If you have any Canon lenses with the metabones adapter, I'd be curious as to how well autofocus works in video. Initial reports showed that autofocus in video mode was slow. (Pics were fast, video slow.)

I've just picked up an early shipment of the camera here in London! I'll do a field test and an evolving review over the next few days on my blog if anybody's interested! :-)

http://www.drlapse.com/?p=398

Davide Roveri, I guess you might risk to be the first one worldwide to show up the first decent review for real. Hands on it!

To those who have pre-ordered, you can easily figure how important your findings will be...

Thanks,

Emanuel :-)

PS: Posted on dvxuser:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?337587-A7R-mk-II-Announced-42-4MP-5-axis-Stabilization-Internal-4k-3-200&p=1986564572&viewfull=1#post1986564572

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?337586-Re-Sony-A7RII-FIRST-video-sample!!!&p=1986564573&viewfull=1#post1986564573

Rolling shutter looks awesome in FF and terrible in APS-c mode. Moire looks fairly well controlled too, especially since there's no low pass filter. Not my video:

Wow, the full frame RS looks great. Can you do some low-light test also stepping through the various ISO setting?

Looks like rolling shutter in super 35 mode is fantastic at 1080p however. If shooting 4K looks like we can stick to full frame. Seems like a lot of flexibility. Can't wait to see a few more tests. I have a feeling I better start offloading the rest of my nikon gear

Hello everybody!

Today I recorded a number of test scenes trying to cover as many of the video modes as possible (i've checked the different pictures profiles both in FF and S35 mode as well as the various 1080p speeds all the way up to 120fps).

I'm gonna try to put together a video tonight (there's a lot of material!) but for now i've uploaded two clips straight off the card for you guys to check, both 4K, same scene, one is in FF mode and the other one in S35.

Settings as follows:

- Slog2/Sgamut (detail -7)

- ISO800 (minimum iso for Slog2 on the a7rII)

- WB Cloudy

- Sony/Zeiss FE4/16-35 @ 24mm/f8

ps. ignore the file date, i just realised i set the camera clock two days behind!!

here's the link to download the clips: http://we.tl/xNEDXe3WId

First impressions are generally positive: the camera feels very well in the hand (massive improvement over the a7s design) everything went smoothly, (although the software feels just a tiny bit slower than on the a7s but it's the first revision so it still might need to be polished a bit) the camera gets quite a bit warm during 4k recording but didn't have any problems (to be honest London is quite chilly at the moment which may helps!) :-) 
Power consumption seems on par with the a7s, the EVF is wonderfully massive and bright, not a big fan of the new locking mode dial (you have to keep the centre button pressed to be able to turn it, i prefer the GH4 design where the dial can be left lock or unlocked)
In order to record 4K video you need a UHS Speed Class 3 SD card otherwise you get a warning on the LCD. (i've used a Transcend W95/R60 64gb and it recorded perfectly)
Last but certainly not least it is finally possible to assign the movie record to a custom button of your choice, REJOICE!!! :-)

Thanks for reading, have a good evening everybody!

Hello everybody!

Today I recorded a number of test scenes trying to cover as many of the video modes as possible (i've checked the different pictures profiles both in FF and S35 mode as well as the various 1080p speeds all the way up to 120fps).

I'm gonna try to put together a video tonight (there's a lot of material!) but for now i've uploaded two clips straight off the card for you guys to check, both 4K, same scene, one is in FF mode and the other one in S35.

Settings as follows:

- Slog2/Sgamut (detail -7)

- ISO800 (minimum iso for Slog2 on the a7rII)

- WB Cloudy

- Sony/Zeiss FE4/16-35 @ 24mm/f8

ps. ignore the file date, i just realised i set the camera clock two days behind!!

here's the link to download the clips: http://we.tl/xNEDXe3WId

First impressions are generally positive: the camera feels very well in the hand (massive improvement over the a7s design) everything went smoothly, (although the software feels just a tiny bit slower than on the a7s but it's the first revision so it still might need to be polished a bit) the camera gets quite a bit warm during 4k recording but didn't have any problems (to be honest London is quite chilly at the moment which may helps!) :-) 
Power consumption seems on par with the a7s, the EVF is wonderfully massive and bright, not a big fan of the new locking mode dial (you have to keep the centre button pressed to be able to turn it, i prefer the GH4 design where the dial can be left lock or unlocked)
In order to record 4K video you need a UHS Speed Class 3 SD card otherwise you get a warning on the LCD. (i've used a Transcend W95/R60 64gb and it recorded perfectly)
Last but certainly not least it is finally possible to assign the movie record to a custom button of your choice, REJOICE!!! :-)

Thanks for reading, have a good evening everybody!

Nice latitude. Looking forward to seeing some human faces.