Sony A7R II official user thread

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

a7r-ii-hands-on1.thumb.jpg.fe85d803c037b

Pre-order the Sony A7R II now - B&H / Amazon

Sony have communicated the confirmed ship date of the A7R II to me - the first batch will arrive at stores in Berlin on 5th August!

UPDATE: this is now the official thread for A7R II updates, footage and user experiences..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Therefore in the EOSHD review you will see the reality of how this camera performs in the real world and not some glossy reality distortion field.

I am glad at least one review is not going to be a spec-lusting article. We really need real practical evaluations in an age where specifications mean absolutely nothing.

a tough bar that it has to displace in order to be used full time in my own filmmaking.

Are you able to actually do filmmaking or is the blog your main occupation these days?  Curious because my colleague wants to make a go at on-line reviews as a career shift, but I'm constantly discouraging him to do so.  I don't know...  He's a decent writer and loves buying stuff, so maybe he could pull it off.  He's also much more productive than me and could handle both things simultaneously.  I certainly couldn't.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Are you able to actually do filmmaking or is the blog your main occupation these days?  Curious because my colleague wants to make a go at on-line reviews as a career shift, but I'm constantly discouraging him to do so.  I don't know...  He's a decent writer and loves buying stuff, so maybe he could pull it off.  He's also much more productive than me and could handle both things simultaneously.  I certainly couldn't.

blogging and reviewing about filmmaking technology is a full-time job. It compromises your ability to spend your full day working on videos/films. That's a fact. 

Is running a blog and informing people about filmmaking gear a lesser job than a filmmaker? No. 

Finding the balance between doing both, is hard. But can be achieved, however, you will never be as good of a filmmaker as you would be as a full-time filmmaker, but you can be good nonetheless. 

Andrew, any news on the availability of the RX10 II in Germany? Really looking forward to your fully review, please be sure to talk a bit about low-light performance, the small sensor is the only weak spot for my usage profile...

The Canon 1D C has too much going against it, despite the nice image/color. Those absurdly massive files, bulky form factor, price, and lack of EVF are deal breakers for me. Not to mention still image quality, which is using Canon's outdated (even at the time) sensors. I think it's slightly disingenuous to compare the used price of a three year old camera to the new price of a new piece of tech, with all the latest bells and whistles. 

I hope the RX10ii review is before the 29th July, there are literally no other reviews about it anywhere. A certain videographer started a review then pissed off to Iceland after playing with the slow motion settings. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So far there is just a single review from a photographer who is not too well known and he seems to highlight some negatives with image quality.

• Super Members

I hope the RX10ii review is before the 29th July, there are literally no other reviews about it anywhere. A certain videographer started a review then pissed off to Iceland after playing with the slow motion settings. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So far there is just a single review from a photographer who is not too well known and he seems to highlight some negatives with image quality.

You could always pull a fast one. Buy it, try it and return it ;)

Hey Andrew, Looking forward to your review! If I'd have the cash for the A7R II, I'd want one as it sure looks like a very exciting camera.

And after reading some juicy rumors I'm starting to get very excited about the A7000 as well. It looks like the more affordable option for me, with the same kind of sensor tech. Might take another 6 months or so though.

Personally I'm still not all that excited about Sony's new 1" sensor camera's. I totally get now that it's actually possible to get shallow DoF with the RX10 II. Thanks for all the examples! But like Ebrahim explained in the first look thread about the RX10 II, I'd want to use a larger sensor camera as well, specifically for the shallow DoF shots. Why go out of your way to get shallow DoF out of a 1" camera when there are larger sensor camera's for that, which are more practical for this purpose and do a better job at it? Unless you'd want to make a point, like shooting your whole film with an iPhone. Or if you can only afford one camera, like me actually.

Also I'd love to know how good these new small sensors are in low light. I know, the new tech is amazing, but are they still sharp and without too much noise? I tried M4/3, but ultimately I was disappointed. Sure I was able to get some shallow DoF with it, and in good light it was great. But in low light the image just broke down. I know, I should have used lights, right? But when filming a bunch of highly sensitive kids doing meditation and yoga in a dimly lit room, putting a bright light in their face just didn't seem like the right thing to do. And the daylight that was trickling in through the small window looked amazing! And... and... Fuck it, I don't need another camera, I'll just get another lamp.

Seriously though, it's exciting new tech. Keep up with the critical reviews! I don't post much myself, but I've enjoyed reading your reviews for quite a while now.

I am excited for this particular comparison because for one I love the 1DCs image but absolutely despise Canon who has essentially abandoned DSLR video. I have a A7Rii on pre order but I am concerned about the compression and color look of the image it will produce. The 1DC is almost like when I first shot with a DVX back in the old days.... it just feels right. The price point and card size just make it unreasonable in this market. 

Pre-order the A7R II now - B&H / Amazon

Sony have communicated the confirmed ship date of the A7R II to me - the first batch will arrive at stores in Berlin on 5th August!

Those in the US won't have to wait long either, with the camera due to ship around a similar time frame - early to mid August. I am told Sony had to delay shipments slightly (by a week or two) to ramp up supply due to heavy demand. It is certainly an eagerly awaited piece of kit and you can expect my review very soon.

The A7R II is an exciting camera, however my review won't be a salivating hype piece. Why? For the simple reason that I have a Canon 1D C as a benchmark for it. That is one heck of a tough bar that it has to displace in order to be used full time in my own filmmaking. Therefore in the EOSHD review you will see the reality of how this camera performs in the real world and not some glossy reality distortion field.

Until then, my final conclusion to the Sony RX10 II review is coming soon. I have also decided to work on a review for the Sony RX100 IV so stay tuned in the coming days...

Will you have a review of the Ursa Mini 4.6 vs the 1DC since they are priced very close?(1DC $7999 vs loaded Ursa Mini $4995 + Evf $1495 + Shoulder mount $395 + Battery plate $95 + Battery $218 + Cfast card 2 x 256gb $1198 ($599 each) ). All prices via BH.

Andrea, tutte le notizie sulla disponibilità del RX10 II in Germania? Davvero impaziente di vostro completamente recensione, essere sicuri di parlare un po 'di scarsa luminosità, il piccolo sensore è l'unico punto debole per il mio profilo di utilizzo ...

RX10 is already being distributed all over the world ...

• Super Members

I'm predicting that like all prior cameras with exception of the bmpcc it will be regularly available in stores that have it from day one and never out of stock.

A little plus of living in a small country, a place where pretty much nobody uses mirrorless and where Nikon is considered the "new kid".