Shootout of the 4K flagships - Canon 1D C versus Samsung NX1

Andrew Reid

• Super Members

The used price is the point. Your argument of the comparison being pointless is only valid if you where the only reader of this blog and only your needs and views where allowed.

I always buy used if I can so for me that's the price to consider. 

And even if it broke down the first day I would still have more money left than if I had bought all my previous gear new.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"Die NX1 bietet das derzeit mit Abstand sauberste uns bekannte 4K-Bild in der 4K Kamera-Klasse unterhalb von 10.000 Euro an."

"The NX1 offers currently by far the cleanest 4K image, we know in the 4K camera class below 10,000 euros."

Quote of the following (sponsored) Article: http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Sponsored-Workshop/Samsung-NX1---Teil1--Drehpraxis-und-Setup.html

And here the Link to their Clip:

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRBKaQf_DGk

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/134698607

• 3 weeks later...

A video we just completed with NX1/NX500 for a label this week

https://vimeo.com/brainstem/review/136679800/daa914d0aa

Wow..that's incredible work, Ryan! Besides some slight flatness in the skintones in a couple bird's eye shots of the couple in bed, there's nothing to give away that this wasn't shot on a high-end cinema camera. How did you find the camera to use on set? Did you feel like it ever got in your way? How was it to deal with in post? Did you try and get your look in camera, or shoot neutral and find your look in post?

The songs name is memories

Wow..that's incredible work, Ryan! Besides some slight flatness in the skintones in a couple bird's eye shots of the couple in bed, there's nothing to give away that this wasn't shot on a high-end cinema camera. How did you find the camera to use on set? Did you feel like it ever got in your way? How was it to deal with in post? Did you try and get your look in camera, or shoot neutral and find your look in post?

the birds eye shots were the 4K GoPro.  Not the most ideal to color, at least for me ( I'm no colorist).  The budget was limited so I had to color myself.  The cameras were mostly a breeze to work with.  Their screens are darker than your actual recorded image so you really need to pay attention to histogram when shooting.  It's a bit of a pain hooking up converter boxes to get the image to client monitor, but that's me being a bit spoiled and nit picky.   Post was pretty simple... Converted everything to prores422.  The images were fairly  gradeable but for sure fall apart faster than red or arri.   Overall though these little cameras are a hell of a bang for your buck

The songs name is memories

the birds eye shots were the 4K GoPro.  Not the most ideal to color, at least for me ( I'm no colorist).  The budget was limited so I had to color myself.  The cameras were mostly a breeze to work with.  Their screens are darker than your actual recorded image so you really need to pay attention to histogram when shooting.  It's a bit of a pain hooking up converter boxes to get the image to client monitor, but that's me being a bit spoiled and nit picky.   Post was pretty simple... Converted everything to prores422.  The images were fairly  gradeable but for sure fall apart faster than red or arri.   Overall though these little cameras are a hell of a bang for your buck

The video looks great. The images between the two cameras are seamless. Where was the NX500 implemented?

Also, what settings are you using with the NX500. My learning curve with it was the saturation. One click down and bright orange turns to deep yellow, but red, green and blue look better. For a straight from camera image, I found -2 Saturation, -10 Sharpness and -5 Contrast yields the best results. It seems with the saturation at 0, there is an odd sheen to the image that doesn't completely go away until -4, -5, but if I pushed it any further the colors start to fall apart. 

The NX500 was 4k 24fps custom profile with contrast - 6, saturation - 1, and sharpness -7

the NX1 was the GammaDR with sharpening turned off.

We used auto white all day.  It was a very run and gun tiny crew kinda shoot... so we simplified as much as possible.

Thanks, for the info. Earlier I was messing with -8 Sharpness and didn't tell much of a difference. I also found -5 across the board, except for hue... Left that default, but it was fairly gradable with a rec709 LUT, I had to dial the opacity down in the LUT to about 25%, but the results are promising. What program did you grade with?

I recently came across the below video and thought it looked pretty good. This was shot on the NX1. I think it shows that the NX1 can truly be as professional as you choose to make it. In the right hands it can produce very good results. For me this really does beg the question that I'm seeing popping up more and more... Is it worth it to spend $3k + for  a camera body when your story could be just as compelling being filmed on a more budget friendly option. And before anyone brings it up, yes yes yes I know about the transcoding from h.265 overhead, but I suspect the downside of h.265 will soon be an upside as support for the new standard becomes widespread. Indeed, in due time I have little doubt many will be seeking out h.265 cameras.

Today I filmed my daughter on a bouncing carped on the beach. I had my 16-50s lens and ois was on. Dis was on as well, shutter was at 1/60 for uhd@25fps. The result is incredibly good! Looks like I used a gimbal. And I don't have steady hands! I'm really happy with dis!

P.s. the af is much better than before as well.

I recently came across the below video and thought it looked pretty good. This was shot on the NX1. I think it shows that the NX1 can truly be as professional as you choose to make it. In the right hands it can produce very good results. For me this really does beg the question that I'm seeing popping up more and more... Is it worth it to spend $3k + for  a camera body when your story could be just as compelling being filmed on a more budget friendly option. And before anyone brings it up, yes yes yes I know about the transcoding from h.265 overhead, but I suspect the downside of h.265 will soon be an upside as support for the new standard becomes widespread. Indeed, in due time I have little doubt many will be seeking out h.265 cameras.

Some information on the settings of this shot can be found 
in this post, from page 5 onwards.  By the author himself.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?337061-Samsung-NX1-all-sorts-of-tests-imaginable/page5