NX1 H.265 (HEVC) editing without transcoding

LimitBreak

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks like Google might save the day with the free VP9 alternative to H.265.

This post recommends holding off choosing new hardware based on either for now: http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Is-it-Time-Yet-for-4K-H.265-and-VP9-Adoption-Not-So-Fast-104430.aspx

It does look like lots of new Smart TVs are able to use both. If they are as good as each other and one is free, surely that will win though?

Looks like Google might save the day with the free VP9 alternative to H.265.

This post recommends holding off choosing new hardware based on either for now: http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Is-it-Time-Yet-for-4K-H.265-and-VP9-Adoption-Not-So-Fast-104430.aspx

It does look like lots of new Smart TVs are able to use both. If they are as good as each other and one is free, surely that will win though?

skylake supports VP9 Encode/Decode

And btw it seems like the native H.265 hardware decoding/encoding in skylake is limited to 8 Bits for 4k, and you'll have to wait for intel's 7th gen in 2016/2017 canon lake for native 10 bit 4k hardware decoding / encoding 

This doesn't mean that a software solution won't be possible, but will be slower and the quality might suffer without native hardware acceleration. 

• 1 year later...

Personally I use proxies in premiere pro. I import the native H.265 files and create H.264 proxies for editing.

Works great. takes quite a bit of time up front to trans code but you can edit while it works in the back ground. For the most part I just import before I goto bed and let it chooch while I am sleeping.

Added bonus, when you wake up to a completed trancoding job you literal roll out of bed feeling like you have already accomplished something for the day. lol