Voigtlander Nokton 25mm vs 17.5mm for GH2 video

bmboo

Hi i just bought the panasonic gh2 and I'm about to buy a voigtlander nokton lens..
just wondering which would be better - voigtlander nokton 25mm or voigtlander nokton 17.5mm?
i would be using it primarily for video.. i understand the 17.5mm has clickless aperture ring but it's easier to focus in 25mm?
any advice welcome!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 6 months later...

The 25mm is closest to a 50mm on full frame, which is a "standard" lens, if you will. Very versatile.

The 17.5 is a 35mm on full frame. It's a wide-angle lens. You can get portrait shots with it, but there will be more distortion of the image perspective. However, you can more easily capture wide scene-setting type shots without the need for being so far away.

The 25mm would be my choice if I had to have only one, as it covers most uses comfortably, and since I usually shoot people, it's better to have good portraiture than good landscapes or wide angles. I guess I'd just step back quite a bit for those.

Of course YMMV depending on the work you do. If you mainly want huge sweeping landscapes, you'd want wider. probably something that looks good closed down too.

• 11 months later...

Ive been usinng a Fujinon 25mm f1.4 c mount lens on my g6 it is superb very very sharp wide open , I use it for shooting at night on streets in the city .

It is fast small and very cheap on ebay - I highly recomend it to you , I just picked up 2 off ebay for $40 each!!

at f1.4 fully wide open it has less than 1cm depth of field and great bokeh and colours too , it is also good for portraits / head shots too

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/13547-czj-tevidon-versus-fujinon-cctv.html#post176111