SLR Magic Rangefinder converts "dual focus" anamorphic (aka Kowa) to single focus - and more

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Am extremely interested in this product and thank everybody in advance for the test footage that is to come.. 

I just noticed this quote on the Rectilux Facebook page...

" QUESTION: SO WHEN IS A RANGEFINDER NOT A RANGEFINDER?
ANSWER: WHEN IT IS AN ORIGINAL RECTILUX 3FF

Say NO to those who willfully copy and plagiarize the original work of others. "

It is really sad that John has to resort to such bad business practices. It is also against the law. What he is saying is false, it is damaging and that is the very plain definition of libel.

That is the last I'm going to say about it because I don't want to wade in and blow it all out into a discussion... especially if there might be a law suit to follow. SLR Magic are really angry about what he is putting out onto social media. it isn't worthy of a discussion. We will SHOOT and not do politics on this forum, thanks for understanding.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Take it to the legal channel, the court, or else stay silent, for you sake. Many seem to fail doing that for some reason.

It is really sad that John has to resort to such bad business practices. It is also against the law. What he is saying is false, it is damaging and that is the very plain definition of libel.

That is the last I'm going to say about it because I don't want to wade in and blow it all out into a discussion... especially if there might be a law suit to follow. SLR Magic are really angry about what he is putting out onto social media. it isn't worthy of a discussion. We will SHOOT and not do politics on this forum, thanks for understanding.

Haha I'm always arguing with that guy on a FB group. He's almost too naive to be a businessman to be honest. A more cunning, calculating person wouldn't even expose his thoughts that much online. 

BTW I just saw the price on the Rangefinder page. Says £549.00, thought it was a mistake and went into the european version and it says €769.00 there. 

Did they increase the price since the initial release? If this is the updated price, this really puts me off. Probably won't sell my other stuff to buy this if so. 

http://www.slrmagic.co.uk/slr-magic-rangefinder-cine-adapter.html 

BTW I just saw the price on the Rangefinder page. Says £549.00, thought it was a mistake and went into the european version and it says €769.00 there. 

Did they increase the price since the initial release? If this is the updated price, this really puts me off. Probably won't sell my other stuff to buy this if so. 

http://www.slrmagic.co.uk/slr-magic-rangefinder-cine-adapter.html 

When they announced it on June 3rd those prices were already communicated by SLR Magic UK: http://www.slrmagic.co.uk/news.html

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very interested in whether twisting the focus too hard in one direction would just unscrew the rangefinder?  Could make it problematic if I paired it with a redrock microremote's auto-calibration, as it'd mean I'd have to do it manually and always be aware of not overshooting it.  

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Very interested in whether twisting the focus too hard in one direction would just unscrew the rangefinder?  Could make it problematic if I paired it with a redrock microremote's auto-calibration, as it'd mean I'd have to do it manually and always be aware of not overshooting it.  

Not a chance in hell turning the ring would unscrew the RF. Don't worry. It's not a cheap plastic filter screw, something entirely different, locked metal. 

No the Rangefinder will not unscrew. however, the torque could loosen any step-up rings in your lens chain if they aren't secure. and as a matter of fact, after i reported back on some issues I had using it with their 2x anamorphic, SLR Magic is redesigning how it attaches to a taking lens because using it with the Rangefinder occasionally caused it to twist out of alignment.

• 2 weeks later...

No the Rangefinder will not unscrew. however, the torque could loosen any step-up rings in your lens chain if they aren't secure. and as a matter of fact, after i reported back on some issues I had using it with their 2x anamorphic, SLR Magic is redesigning how it attaches to a taking lens because using it with the Rangefinder occasionally caused it to twist out of alignment.

Really?  I got the 2x anamorphic on their early bird sale because of the bonus diopter, I'll be quite annoyed if they decide to update it so soon...