SLR Magic Rangefinder converts "dual focus" anamorphic (aka Kowa) to single focus - and more

Andrew Reid

Yes soft and hazy, flarey, with a local low contrast filter streaks.

Perhaps it's the nature of the taking lenses used here I hope. 

Thanks for the stills @Sebastien Farges What are the lenses and how much of optical change did you notice?

the taking lens (LINOS MeVis-C 35mm f1.6 C-mount) is good with this combo from f5.6. The video was taken between f1.6 to f8. The baby Hypergonar is not the highest sharpest lens in the world ;) Apparently I'm happy with the Rangefinder, despite the results are a little under with duet diopters.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Thanks Sebastian. 

Anyone tried this with a normal quality non-anamorphic lens to see if it affects IQ?

That's the most important part of this being a success outside the niche anamorphic platform.

Don't lenses have completely un-standardized front-element-to-filter-thread distance? How could one possibly make an optical block that works with all lenses at and put at any distance, to place a lens in the optical formula and get a decent pictures the alignment has to be micrometer accurate. 

Anyway I don't care if it works it works. 

@Zak have you tried it on any normal lenses yet? (non anamorphic) Any loss?

I suppose the lens will have to be calibrated with the rangefinder attached.  Infinity without the rangefinder will not necessarily be infinity with the range finder.   If the lens in question has a hard stop at infinity and has a large distance between its front element and filter threads, then there is the potential that infinity will not be possible with the rangefinder attached.  However hopefully there is has been enough leway in the design of the rangefinder.  And if there has, this would mean that unless the hard stop of the rangefinder can be adjusted, that most lenses will have to be set to less than infinity in order to achive infinity at the hard stop of the rangefinder.

Yes soft and hazy, flarey, with a local low contrast filter streaks.

Perhaps it's the nature of the taking lenses used here I hope. 

Thanks for the stills @Sebastien Farges What are the lenses and how much of optical change did you notice?

Yeah there is a high chance of any number of goofy things happening with vintage lenses and anamorphic.  We dont know what is due to the lenses and what is due to the rangefinder.

Thanks Sebastian. 

Anyone tried this with a normal quality non-anamorphic lens to see if it affects IQ?

That's the most important part of this being a success outside the niche anamorphic platform.

Absolutely! In terms of establishing the quality, we need full resolution still comparisons with still lenses at various apertures independently meticulously focused on a tripod.

Plus, Im not entirely conviced by anamorphic anyway.

I like it that SLR magic work continually to design new anamorphic systems!

But I´am not convinced until today.

In my Eyes, they all have a cheap looking behaviour in case of Sharpness, CA, Bokeh, etc. 

For me, they are more like fun lenses.

But maybe I´am wrong, and probably there are some ways with the right taking lens, etc...

In case of the rangefinder, I cannot imagine, that even high-end spheric lenses work as fine from closer distance to infinity at the same quality level like the intern complex lens design...  (puuh, my english...)

So, I´am curious to see more footage.

I like it that SLR magic work continually to design new anamorphic systems!

But I´am not convinced until today.

In my Eyes, they all have a cheap looking behaviour in case of Sharpness, CA, Bokeh, etc. 

For me, they are more like fun lenses.

But maybe I´am wrong, and probably there are some ways with the right taking lens, etc...

In case of the rangefinder, I cannot imagine, that even high-end spheric lenses work as fine from closer distance to infinity at the same quality level like the intern complex lens design...  (puuh, my english...)

So, I´am curious to see more footage.

Well I guess speed boosters and filters are out also?

Looks good guys.

I have mine set up now with the Kowa 8Z 2x anamorphic and Helios 44M, the infamous russian 58mm F2.0. It is tack sharp at F5.6 and plenty of lovely anamorphic bokeh going on. Shooting 4:3 on the GH4.

The Kowa (2x B&H) is know for it's sharpness with big apertures, right? Does the Rangefinder make it worse in this sense? Any chance on using bright lenses + speed booster + Kowa B&H 2x in combination with this filter?

yeah, GH4 on the Natural profile. taking lens was an SLR Magic 25mm T/.95 set to a T/2.8 I think. Kowa B&H.

How does the Rangefinder attach to your Kowa...I pre-ordered from Adorama as soon as I saw your footage!!...Does SLR Magic sell directlyor is this only available to a select few at this stage?...Also, do you remember your white balance setting...the clip is so spot on!...Fritz

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

This might be a silly question, but does the rangefinder destroy sharpness? I've yet to see anything that looked sharp from this thing.

SLR magic reached out to me and sent out a prototype sample to review to Egypt, really impressed on how they are searching the forums and marketing their product by sending them to a commenter that has ideas of the product applications to test its capability. That's top notch marketing and research, they're listening here so do give then feedback. 

It I'll arrive soon and will do a comprehensive test on how it affects all elements of optical lenses performance, in resolution, viggete, flaring, contrast, breathing, and how it could be used to fix fly by wire lenses and non-linear lenses, and how it responds to different lenses. I hope it does what it claims. 

SLR magic reached out to me and sent out a prototype sample to review to Egypt, really impressed on how they are searching the forums and marketing their product by sending them to a commenter that has ideas of the product applications to test its capability. That's top notch marketing and research, they're listening here so do give then feedback. 

It I'll arrive soon and will do a comprehensive test on how it affects all elements of optical lenses performance, in resolution, viggete, flaring, contrast, breathing, and how it could be used to fix fly by wire lenses and non-linear lenses, and how it responds to different lenses. I hope it does what it claims. 

That's great news. Could you do some side by side comparisons of the lens with and without the rangefinder installed? That way we will have a baseline.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

OK yes that's the priority, to comprehensively test how it affects the taking lens' image quality vs. not having that lens block in front of it. Will update here test by test rather than waiting for the entire tests to be done. 

• Administrators

Here is my first hands on with the SLR Magic Rangefinder :)

Thanks for the footage as ever Seb!!

Will put it on the review along with my own footage which is now shot, just waiting to get clearance on the song I used on it, from a friend.

Curiously I found taping the focus at around 50ft on the prime & kowa gave me a sharper image than sticking it at infinity.

Probably because of the adapter (was using it on Speed Booster and infinity isn't aways right)

Decided to use a Helios 44M 58mm F2.0 and Zeiss Jena 80mm F1.8 (M42 mount) for the taking lenses. The Zeiss in particularly is a well suited one, it is really small for a fast 80mm, compared to the Zeiss 85mm F1.4 it is tiny.

Am extremely interested in this product and thank everybody in advance for the test footage that is to come.. 

I just noticed this quote on the Rectilux Facebook page...

" QUESTION: SO WHEN IS A RANGEFINDER NOT A RANGEFINDER?
ANSWER: WHEN IT IS AN ORIGINAL RECTILUX 3FF

Say NO to those who willfully copy and plagiarize the original work of others. "

I was just about to order a Rectilux when these original tests surfaced and now I am holding off..  Ideally, I would like to know the difference between the two.  The FM module is out for me, as it looks quite big and seems to be quite fiddly..  Also, I have a Kowa B/H and it seemed I needed to alter it to make it work..

Zak Forsman, as far as I can tell, you are the only person who has access to all three special ingredients for such a test...  Your tests so far with the SLR Magic Rangefinder have been really impressive and I really hope you have the chance to do a side by side comparison of the two...

Andrew, do you plan on getting a Rectilux to pair with your Kowa?  Any chance of seeing a side by side comparison?

Also, does anybody know if these should work with fixed focus anamorphic lenses like the Iscomorphot 8/x2 ?  Any issues that might be had with these lenses?

O.K, thanks so much once again, I really look forward to seeing some more!

: