SLR Magic Rangefinder converts "dual focus" anamorphic (aka Kowa) to single focus - and more

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is the first thing I shot with the Rangefinder. Just a simple rack focus followed by a look at the effect it has on the flares (adds more blue basically). The focus mechanism is very, very smooth. This is paired with the Kowa B&H. I'll try it out on the SLR Magic Anamorphot tomorrow.

https://vimeo.com/134275447

At a glance, this looks similar to what the FM lens and the Rectilux are doing, but far simpler, lighter, and less complex. And the price is a steal. Hopefully SLR Magic combines this and the Anamorphot 2x in a single housing. No one in their right mind would use the 2x without this. I'm excited. And even more so for the upcoming anamorphic prime lens. In my mind, I dream of having cheap second-hand Alexa 4:3s and inexpensive anamorphic lens sets. Here's hoping that five years from now, this becomes a reality.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Getting the lens at pin-point infinity is going to be a challenge yes, with stills lenses and lenses without hard infinity stop that is. 

The lens will always shift focus around infinity in usage and play around, it's not going to be accurate. So we'll have to find a solution to accurately fix these lenses focus rings at a specific point. 

1. Suprglue would be my choice, if the adapter is good enough to replace the focus ring without much penalty. 

2- Tape, I would not trust it one bit is usage. 

3- A mechanical solution can be easily constructed. Something like a flexible but hard wide rubber cup that can be put to cover both the focus ring and a fixed potion of the lens behind/in front of the ring and tightned with a knob/screw. 

Or if rails is an option, then one that's fixed to the rails right beneath the focus ring and tightens on it with a knob/screw. 

Anyhow we will easily find a solution, just hope this adapter is what it claims! 

This is the first thing I shot with the Rangefinder. Just a simple rack focus followed by a look at the effect it has on the flares (adds more blue basically). The focus mechanism is very, very smooth. This is paired with the Kowa B&H. I'll try it out on the SLR Magic Anamorphot tomorrow.

Those flares look nasty (in a good way).

• Administrators

Looks tasty :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Now I want to shoot anamorphic :rolleyes:

Any loss in image quality you saw?

Sharpness especially? (a little vignette or flaring is fine - if not a bonus)

• Administrators

whey they should? i see no reason to sell isco for using kowa8z

Well for a start a Kowa is $300-400, and the Iscorama is 10x that at $3000+

That is a reason.

Also the Kowa is sharper at fast apertures than the Iscorama and vignettes a bit less so you can go slightly wider.

Flare on the Kowa is better than on the multicoated (MC) Iscoramas. Quite evenly matched vs single coated Iscoramas.

The only thing holding it back was the shit focus. Unusable.

Iscorama acted like a normal manual focus prime lens.

But still the Iscorama isn't as easy to focus as a normal lens. Usually the ring is a bit too stiff and travel is way too long for quick focus changes and run & gun. No gearing for follow focus either.

A Kowa with Rangefinder should beat the Iscorama for focus AND match it for image quality... I am about to shoot with it so will find out as despite Van Diemen taking away one of my Iscoramas for what seems like a million years now, I still have my other Iscorama 36 MC to play with.