Best primes for GH2

milandirector

Hi there,

I m just about to buy new gh2 camera body only (I actually decided to buy it after being the frequent visitor on this site. Andrew's appreciation for this camera really infected me) :)

I will be using GH2 for dramatic film shoots. Mainly for an upcoming feature and short films, and if a deal goes through for the webisodes that I m trying to create.

I do not have any glass at the moment so I have to build from the scratch. I prefer primes and I need them pretty fast. Another thing, eventually I m planning to buy Canon 5d mark 3 (whenever it comes out), or even the Canon 4k dslr (if it ever comes out), so I m interested if I could start investing now on the full frame glass, and if I could use them on the GH2, and what is the best deal for the money?

I've heard that best thing to do is buy old Nikon's with manual aperture ring. They are awesome lenses and pretty low priced too. Now I m not sure if that's true, so please I would be happy if I get any suggestions. Also if this is possible what is the best adapter to buy?

Now I do not have some supper amazing budget, but I'll try to invest as much as I can on the glass, but as I mentioned priority is to be able to use them on the GH2 and on the full frame camera too.

(if this is not possible, what is my best plan B for the good fast primes for GH2?)

Thanks a lot for your help guys, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
You are right in wanting to invest in glass that can be used on full frame as well as the GH2, it is very versatile when it comes to lenses and almost anything works, but full frame lenses are future proof and sharper in the corners with less light fall off on the GH2.

Go for a fast 35, 50 and 85.

Contax Zeiss are nice on eBay, if you can find the 85mm F1.4 for a decent price £400-£500 grab it. If you need a cheaper one, unfortunately Canon FD is out but the Nikon 85mm F2 AIS is worth a look for £100-£150.

For the 35mm obviously Samyang 35mm F1.4 springs to mind but there are cheaper alternatives like the Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm F2.4 in M42 mount which are just as sharp and half the price.

Good 50's can be had at rock bottom prices. See the Olympus OM 50mm F1.4 and the ultra cheap Helios 44M-2 58mm in M42 mount. That Helios is a bargain (sub $50!!) and should be in everyone's bag. Lovely sharpness and cinematic flare. The Contax Zeiss 50mm F1.7 has better contrast and is £130.

Thank you so, so much for your replay. It is extremely appreciated! I was mostly thinking of these 3 types of lenses too :). Do you have any suggestions for fast 20 and 100 or do you think I do need those as much?
Thanks a lot! :)

Also what is the best adapter to get for full frame to micro 3/4?

Hi Milandirector,

If you plan to purchase a Canon 5D, it would make sense to purchase the Canon compatible Samyang. You will need a Canon adapter to mount it on your GH2. I can highly recommend Andrew's EOSHD GH2 Shooters Guide as an excellent resource for these types of questions.

Best,

Mike

Have a look at the trailer for this feature shot with a GH2. It's amazing looking, very cinematic - and it seems that only three lenses were used.

According to the director, he used a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (Nikon mount), Nikon 28mm 2.8 and a nikkor 50mm 1.4 (all with a Nikon to M4/3 adaptor of course).

The results look stunning.

[url=http://vimeo.com/33025136]Musgo Trailer[/url]