Seeking Info About the B&H Projection Lens

Bold

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The front element can be removed fairly easily, so it should be easy to clean,  I'm not an expert in lens fungus, but my best guess is that the impact on the image will be minimal. 

Those tabs are part of the B&H design.  For a 60(ish) year old lens, yours appears to be in pretty good shape.

Thanks for clarifying. It's reassuring to hear that I didn't end up with a dud.

It was pretty easy taking apart the front element. Screws weren't seized or anything like that. Hardest part was looking for the appropriate tools to get them off.

Gave the glass a good clean with hydrogen peroxide and ammonia, rinsed it off then polished it off with isopropryl alcohol and it was good as new.

It gave me a good chance to check out how the thing was built and put together. I can see why you persevered with this @Bold . I'm loving the simplicity of the design! Just waiting on the series VII to 58mm adaptor to arrive. I might still go with a clamp as I'm not that assured with the smallrig lense support and rig system. The adaptor feels like it'd be a weak link in the chain from taking lense to the B&H.

42475518_1941545912574969_5345809054457397248_o.thumb.jpg.751a8cda3f0b74b0a3cee1226886a7a4.jpg42467483_1941545865908307_6867476470910943232_o.jpg42503907_1941545899241637_1367566618393051136_o.jpg

Quick update - my series VII to 52mm adaptor ring has arrived. I’ve had to resort to taping it to the b&h as the X and Y weren’t aligning properly when everything was screwed in. I can definitely see a benefit of using a clamp to connect it from the taking lense to the B&H. 

For the time being I’ve taped a 52mm ring to the front so I can use my ircut and VND filters. 

A7FC67D7-5F42-46B0-8417-EACA6EE5BDA7.jpeg

6C73867C-95B7-4128-BB3D-D8770747664C.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Bold said:

My site is finally live now.

If you're interested in my B&H mod, you can see what I offer here.

Has anyone else been doing modding or shooting with their B&H?  Please post your footage and keep this thread going!

must be popular i get this message

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later

i'll like buy one off ebay when i find one for a reasonable amount i seen em at $ 200 -400 but that will most likely be in the new year as i pretty much spent all i can this year lol 

speaking of modding, i have an isco gottengen 2x which requires both hands to turn the focus ring got any thoughts on how to loosen it up ?

if it requires stripping it down to the helicoid or taking the anamorphics out i'm not so keen, heard they can be a pill to put back in right ?

thanks for any thoughts

edit: because i am tired and its after midnight here i pulled apart a russian 35 projector  nap lens i bought around the same time i got the isco .

it was surprisingly easy one tiny flat headed screw holding the font glass cover on then another three tiny flatheaded screws around the focus ring. then simply unscrew the focus ring backwards. i haven't taken the back lens out yet or the front element out of its holder. i will start a new thread tomorrow with some pics. but thanks for thee inspiration 

Hi Leslie, thanks for the heads-up - I'm looking into the bandwidth issue and should have it resolved today.

Most projector lens designs are pretty simple and can be disassembled, cleaned, reassembled as long as you have the right tools, a good work space, and lots of patience ?

I'm sure other isco Gottengen 2x and NAP32 owners would appreciate posts dedicated to those lenses!

Cheers,

-Bold

On 12/14/2018 at 5:38 AM, leslie said:

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later

I've made some tweaks to lower my website's overhead, so for the moment the site is up and running (...fingers crossed).

1 hour ago, Bold said:

I've made some tweaks to lower my website's overhead, so for the moment the site is up and running (...fingers crossed).

good thing you replied i had forgotten all about it, only the website notifications reminded me lol,  yep it is up just checked it out. personally i think you have too much white space, i think you need to covert that white space into anamorphic images or even cropped pics to approximate anamorphic proportions, sell them a pictorial story, give them some wow,  you want to include them and take them on a journey not just what their options are . a realtor once told me when selling houses that your not selling sausages your selling the sizzle, if that any makes sense to you,  just  my 2 cents ?

when i  saw the bham for some odd reason i thought straight away of the flinstones, not sure how that works lol

• 10 months later...

hey @Bold there is a bell and howel for sale on ebay is this anything like the one you have ? kinda curious  as it seems like a reasonable price. the front glass doesn't look too bad but the back element is very ordinary.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bell-And-Howell-B-H-Anamorphic-Cinemascope-Projection-Lens-35mm-Film-Movie-335B/254197152793?hash=item3b2f54bc19:g:qBMAAOSweX5b7hTN

Leslie, that is the 35mm B&H, which doesn't share any similarities with the 16mm lens in this thread.  At 6 pounds, this 35mm beast is the one of the heaviest anamorphics out there.  I don't think it would be of practical use unless you were doing tripod-mounted/narrative filmmaking.  Extremely heavy and bulky for run and gun.  It's one advantage is the enormous diameter glass.  I suspect that it would allow you to shoot with a wider taking lens than just about any other 2x anamorphic.  But because the front diameter is so big, a single-focus solution would have to be custom made.  I imagine it's focus through, but I suspect its minimum focus distance is probably between 10-20 feet.

I have a pair of these giant B&Hs, but I haven't figured out how to disassemble them...Unfortunately I don't have any time or money to do anamorphic tinkering any more, and will probably put these and the rest of my anamorphic & camera gear on eBay soon.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:14 AM, Bold said:

Leslie, that is the 35mm B&H, which doesn't share any similarities with the 16mm lens in this thread.  At 6 pounds, this 35mm beast is the one of the heaviest anamorphics out there.  I don't think it would be of practical use unless you were doing tripod-mounted/narrative filmmaking.  Extremely heavy and bulky for run and gun.  It's one advantage is the enormous diameter glass.  I suspect that it would allow you to shoot with a wider taking lens than just about any other 2x anamorphic.  But because the front diameter is so big, a single-focus solution would have to be custom made.  I imagine it's focus through, but I suspect its minimum focus distance is probably between 10-20 feet.

I have a pair of these giant B&Hs, but I haven't figured out how to disassemble them...Unfortunately I don't have any time or money to do anamorphic tinkering any more, and will probably put these and the rest of my anamorphic & camera gear on eBay soon.

thanks for clarifying that for me. the 35mm would indeed be too much for me i think. I will have to remember its the 16mm to keep an eye out. If you do decide to disperse your gear, a heads up here would be appreciated. i would probably be interested and a few others no doubt.

Bit sad to hear that your finishing up the anamorphic side of things, as you did some good work with the b&h anamorphic lenses

• 1 month later...

Here are the results from my "BMPCC HD | RUN & GUN ANAMORPHIC RIG IN ACTION" based on this B&H and my mods:

• Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera HD (Original)
  • BELL & HOWELL 16mm f/1.4 Anamorphic Lens
  • Custom 3D Printed Anamorphic Projector Lens Housing
  • Vid Atlantic Clamp for taking lens mount
  • Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 Taking Lens
  • Deity V-Mic D3 Pro Shotgun Microphone
  • Custom 3D Printed NP-F970 battery based design
  • Universal NPF battery connector
  • MISC 3D Parts

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone I Just wanted to update everyone that I have Found that the front part of a 55mm metal lens hood will fit perfectly into the m58 Helicoid, in order to make it fit over the Bell & Howell scope you have to cut off the 55mm side so it can slide over

(I used a exhaust pipe cutter for cutting, it wasn’t the easiest but definitely doable ?)

8F187259-EB4F-478F-8FAA-A8F3CFB02BD6.jpeg