The Canon fight back begins - with a box

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Canon is repackaging a selection of their DSLRs to appeal more to video producers. Writ large with the phrases "FULL HD" and "SELFIE" the bundles come with one of Rode's cheapest mics and a 32GB SD card. The standard kit zoom (18-55mm) is provided as normal. Prices are anything but low end though with the bundles ranging from a hefty $899 for the T5i to a GH4/NX1 busting $1649 for the 70D.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Holy shit get a grip of yourself! If this is truly what you are willing to say and not just some misscarriage of a message written in a short period of anger, then YOU are whats wrong with a WHOLE lot of people on this planet.

Write all the opinion you want about products and companies and call them names and whatever, but please let other people decide on their own what to buy with THEIR money and dont call them names. How entitled do you have to feel to write shit like this!?

I really do enjoy some quality content from you Andrew and am willing to deal with some weird attitude to a lot of stuff from you, but this really takes the cake for biggest fuckup. Please stick to informing people about stuff and giving your opinion about gear/companies/weather/whatever, but NOT on consumers that buy stuff. Its everyones own decision for gods sake.

PS: I had a little vomit in my mouth when I read "If you buy this bundle you are not an artist and never will be, because you too do not care." Do you even read the stuff you wrote here?!

• Administrators

Holy shit get a grip of yourself! If this is truly what you are willing to say and not just some misscarriage of a message written in a short period of anger, then YOU are whats wrong with a WHOLE lot of people on this planet.

Write all the opinion you want about products and companies and call them names and whatever, but please let other people decide on their own what to buy with THEIR money and dont call them names. How entitled do you have to feel to write shit like this!?

I really do enjoy some quality content from you Andrew and am willing to deal with some weird attitude to a lot of stuff from you, but this really takes the cake for biggest fuckup. Please stick to informing people about stuff and giving your opinion about gear/companies/weather/whatever, but NOT on consumers that buy stuff. Its everyones own decision for gods sake.

PS: I had a little vomit in my mouth when I read "If you buy this bundle you are not an artist and never will be, because you too do not care." Do you even read the stuff you wrote here?!

​Erm! Ever heard of satire!?

I guess most enthusiasts finally figured out the EOS 700D is crap, so Canon is looking for a new target audience. You can see them pictured on the right of the box. Their dad will pay anyway.

It's offensive to ask $899,99 for this kit of crap.

​All of a sudden that Nikon Filmmaker's Kit looks quite appealing :P

​Looks like you have completely missed the point of this article, try not to take it so literally and maybe you will get what Andrew is trying to say.

I have to admit I too am confused by what this article is saying. Are you making fun of the kind of people who would buy this, or aren't you?

If you are, then I do think that's unfair. Most of us started with little knowledge and some less than top level kit, just what we could afford, or indeed what we received as gifts from well meaning relatives who didn't know what the latest cool kit was.

If the article isn't making fun of those people, then I have no idea what it's trying to say.

Edit: Having said that, it is indeed a ridiculous box design.

"If you buy this bundle you are not an artist and never will be, because you do not care."

​Ha!  Pushing the boundaries of rhetoric, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  

Suffice to say, there's a perfectly legitimate possibility that an arrogant affluent rich kid with a hell of a lot of superior story ideas than industry professionals might end up with one of these cameras, simply because they just want something to shoot with, don't really know better because they're concentrating on story, and they'll then proceed to create something incredible...since, you know, filmmaking is kind of about effective storytelling, not sensor resolution.

I seriously don't know if this is your true sentiment, tongue-in-cheek satire, click-bait, or just slamming Canon because of some internal-debate-feud you have going in your mind.  

Doesn't matter because, regardless, it's a fun read, if for no other reason than all the "huh?"'s I got to do.  And yeah, it's silly marketing from Canon.  But entire brands are built upon silly marketing.

Honestly though, thanks for the funny words. 

• Administrators

There is a good dose of irony here.

EOSHD is happy to sacrifice things like raw, 10 bit, 4:2:2, colour science and various other aspects that make an image, just to be able to shoot 4k (no doubt in big letters on the box).

Marketing works!

​The real irony seems to be a bit lost on you. But let's address your made up irony first...

I have not "sacrificed" raw, 10bit, 422, colour science and other aspects merely for resolution.

I still treat the image as a visual whole and not a mere number.

I have shot with the Digital Bolex - lovely raw and tip top colour... I have shot with Blackmagic for 10bit ProRes and of course 5D Mark III raw, and could go back to any one of them any time I please... in fact it would make my life a lot easier not having to cover all these cutting edge new cameras that just so happen to be 4K, for ungrateful bastards like you....

But I don't and that is because the current 4K cameras look lovely.

14bit Raw or 10bit 422 and the best colour science is a spec like any other... and it is rather overrated itself.

For example the highlight roll off is smoother in 8bit SLOG on the A7S compared to 14bit raw on the 5D3 - go and figure.

Indeed I prefer the 8bit 422 LOG image from the 1D C to Blackmagic's 12bit raw for colour. Again, go figure...

Hands down my favourite image at the moment is the Canon 1D C so I am not a brainless 'Canon basher'.

Those you will have followed EOSHD for a while or those in the know will get the satire... others won't... If you don't get it, then hopefully it will tweak your interest in the current state of play enough to research into the subject a bit more.

• Administrators

I seriously don't know if this is your true sentiment, tongue-in-cheek satire, click-bait, or just slamming Canon because of some internal-debate-feud you have going in your mind.

It is tongue in cheek satire making a point that Canon have released merely a new box as a whole new filmmaker package and charged top whack for it at that.

It is making fun of the kind of idiot who would fall for this kind of cynical marketing ploy... and yes there are plenty of them.

Hopefully not too many on here but sometimes I have my doubts ;)