Kinemax 6k Review

DBounce

There's a new Kinemax 6k review up on YouTube. This looks like a interesting camera for what it does and the price point. Believe it is Chinese. Not sure that I personally would take the plunge to be an early adopter, as I do not know very much about Kinefinity. But perhaps once they have a more established track record I would be more open to them. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That's me assisting Tom in the video and holding the light panel, etc. And a couple shots in the video were on my Leica R primes!

As far as purchasing, the main worry is the footage cutting out or those weird artifact issues. As he says in the video, the new firmware is supposed to address these issues, but I'd rent it for a shoot at least once and field test to be sure.

Usability-wise, the camera was very intuitive. The menus were simple, clean, and easy to navigate. It was easy to pick up the camera and just start shooting. Even though I was there, I'm surprised how nicely the grade of the night footage turned out. The grain was apparent in the raw footage, but it seems to be very minimal looking at it now. And it was apparent even on set that the camera was pretty decent in low light. Bang-for-buck wise it gives a lot of the same specs as a Red, but there are of course some trade-offs.

​But would you buy it? Or wait and see?

I will probably wait and see, not because I think the product itself is poor quality (pretty much anyone who comes into contact with a kinefinity camera says the build quality is good): but because I'm unsure how the customer service is going to be for US customers. Barely anyone here has the camera so if it's a hassle to have serviced, or to use the warranty or something, I want to know before I plunk down 15 grand.

That's a $9000 camera. What do you mean "for the price"?

Isn't an URSA cheaper for comparable quality?

Well I was talking about after you've rigged it out. And yes the ursa 4.6k looks terrific but the kinemax does have some distinguishing features. 6K is significantly more resolution than 4.6K. Clean 6400 iso vs 1600 max on the ursa.Interchangeable mounts. Speedbooster available. More resolution, frame rate, crop options, shooting to ssd vs expensive cfast. 

No global shutter though!

Well I was talking about after you've rigged it out. And yes the ursa 4.6k looks terrific but the kinemax does have some distinguishing features. 6K is significantly more resolution than 4.6K. Clean 6400 iso vs 1600 max on the ursa.Interchangeable mounts. Speedbooster available. More resolution, frame rate, crop options, shooting to ssd vs expensive cfast. 

No global shutter though!

I believe better low light performance trumps global shutter. But as you state $15k with unknown warranty/support is a bit too much of a gamble for most. I believe this camera will soon be in the sub $5k range loaded up. Ursa Mini will kill any hope it had of selling at its current price. Just look a Cion, and those still aren't flying off the shelves. They have to first sell cheap to win over some early adopters. Once they establish a reputation they can demand more. Before that point, it's going to have to be one hell of a bargain.