ARRI Alexa 65 in new trailer!

Daniel Acuña

Finally we can get a glimpse of some footage shot on the Alexa 65 and it looks amazing, Lubezki and a 65mm digital cinema camera is like the perfect combo for a new oscar! 

Can't wait to watch this movie! The cinematography looks amazing, you can really see it's lubezki behind the camera (wide angle and a lot of steady cam reminded me of Children of men and Tree of Life)!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Magical.  It's the 40mm and 50mm lenses giving similar fov's to what we'd need a 16mm or 18mm to achieve on an normal alexa that give those expansive wides such a powerful look.  wide, but not with the distortion of a super wide.  That first shot looks like it's beinf projected on a curved screen.  it wraps around!

resolution looks amazing.  if anything i'd like to see some film grain overlay on that just to take the edge off.  almost too clean for the theme of the movie.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

That large sensor and large ARRI 65mm lens set have such an ''in-you-face" aesthetic, so beautiful and high-end!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's not a simple topic, and in effect the argument for and against it is a paradox, so it's always discussed in a loop, going circles and circles. 

And many MANY people on this very forum question Full Frame look vs smaller sensors................ Smh

​I think Jonesy was being tongue in cheek about the DOF because it's actually quite large in almost all the shots. And yes, the visuals are great, but how exactly is that because of Alexa 65 and its super large sensor? I don't honestly see how you can tell the difference from a YouTube clip. There are a lot of other amazing things going on in the trailer.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's not due to depth of field, a FF sensor with Canon fast primes has a much shallower DOF than the Alexa 65 with its Arri set of primes wide open than are used here. 

It is about the wide, immersive feel of the whole image, particularly the dynamic range in how the shadows extend to the highlights gloriously, and how the extreme wide angles that show no distortion as they are 40-50mm-ish wide shots, something one can't get with other systems, and these wides are still corner to corner Tack 100% sharp. It's definitely a look, but not due to depth of field, more due to depth of the image range and colours and resolution all of which even show on a 1080p YT upload, one can only imagine how it will look projected in 4K.

Although it IS an obvious 65mm aesthetic advantage here, It also helps that the grade is very professional, very consistent and extremely fit to the story/atmosphere, skin looks perfectly coloured and the sun blowouts are just beautiful, no harsh yellow lines up there as on all non-alexas, and the acting, location, percise camera movement all help too, and sound and cutting, VFX, everything really. If I had one complaint on the trailer, motion looks a bit off, as in high shutter look or HFR in some shots, but not the rest. Can be totally YT thing though with the frame to frame compression and blurring artefacts. 

If I had one complaint on the trailer, motion looks a bit off, as in high shutter look or HFR in some shots, but not the rest. Can be totally YT thing though with the frame to frame compression and blurring artefacts. 

​I wouldn't be surprised if different scenes were shot at varying shutter angles

It's not due to depth of field, a FF sensor with Canon fast primes has a much shallower DOF than the Alexa 65 with its Arri set of primes wide open than are used here. 

It is about the wide, immersive feel of the whole image, particularly the dynamic range in how the shadows extend to the highlights gloriously, and how the extreme wide angles that show no distortion as they are 40-50mm-ish wide shots, something one can't get with other systems, and these wides are still corner to corner Tack 100% sharp. It's definitely a look, but not due to depth of field, more due to depth of the image range and colours and resolution all of which even show on a 1080p YT upload, one can only imagine how it will look projected in 4K.

Although it IS an obvious 65mm aesthetic advantage here, It also helps that the grade is very professional, very consistent and extremely fit to the story/atmosphere, skin looks perfectly coloured and the sun blowouts are just beautiful, no harsh yellow lines up there as on all non-alexas, and the acting, location, percise camera movement all help too, and sound and cutting, VFX, everything really. If I had one complaint on the trailer, motion looks a bit off, as in high shutter look or HFR in some shots, but not the rest. Can be totally YT thing though with the frame to frame compression and blurring artefacts. 

​Ebrahim, you clearly like the camera. I can't argue with your opinion that the difference in quality shows even on this YouTube clip, because it's an opinion. But I don't think you supported it with anything factual other than saying that the large sensor makes it possible to shoot wide shoots with less distortion. I don't believe that's accurate. As I understand, differences in distortion come from lens design. With the same design, whether you use a small frame with a wide lens or a large frame with longer lens, as long as you get the same field of view you're going to have the same level of distortion. So, frame size plays no part other than letting you go wider with the same lens. I may be wrong though, please point to a credible source if I am.