Download first native C300 MKII C-Log2 & 120p Crop mode

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I actually agree, there's something videoy in there, like a digital sharpening effect when coupled with high resolution. The 1DC image has ''zero'' video look in C-Log and looks extremely high-resolved yet actually soft, creamy. 

This definitely has more latitude than any footage I pushed though, and the colours are so easy to get right with a single luma curve in Vegas, easiest Log there is. 

Tons of latitude there, but I still think the image looks too digital and not very organic. I'll wait to see more footage though.

​You're seeing the L lenses.  Probably the least filmic lenses available.  I imagine if there were some cookes on there the image would look less digital.  Camera tech no longer matters.  it's the lenses that make the difference IMO.

The 'Killer App' for the C300.2 is the autofocus with all Canon lenses. Having fast + accurate autofocus is a huge time saver. Canon's color science for skin tones is also excellent. While I've learned to grade the FS700 to look decent for skintones, for the last couple months I've been shooting lots of stills with the 5D3 and really appreciate the excellent skintone quality compared to Sony color science (I'd never use a Sony for stills for a paid shoot (other than perhaps landscape / not skintones)).

For pro/paid work the C300.2 is probably worth the extra $8K over the FS7. An excellent comparison would be the C300.2 vs. FS7 where time to color grade skintones is also factored in. Time is money, and over time the extra cost of dealing with funky color science reduces profit. Additionally, there are cases where it's just not possible to get great skintones from Sony color science when one has limited time to color grade. If tests show that the FS7's skintones can hang with the C300.2, that will make the C300.2 less appealing, however Sony's autofocus on Sony lenses doesn't appear to be in the same league as Canon's C300.2 autofocus. Getting great skintones with faces in perfect focus in 4K with little hassle are very strong features with no competition at any price right now.

Regarding a video-look: I noticed that too- would expect a different grade to look more cinematic: it's really about lighting and light response+behavior, not lenses and sharpness. An overly sharp image with too much brightness in the mids & highs along with lack of grain makes an image look like video. Provided the highlights aren't clipped, this can be quickly fixed in post (with a preset / LUT (+ grain if desired)).

Canon lenses can look very cinematic: 24-105 F4L and 5D3 ML RAW: https://vimeo.com/92437795

The 'Killer App' for the C300.2 is the autofocus with all Canon lenses.  

Take notice of the AF system on C300M2 ,its AF system is only working silently with STM lens,non-STM lens will make annoying noise ,even with USM lens(due to the interal len-motor)

Unfortunately there are very few STM lens for users to choose now.

Unlike the C300M2, FS7 with all Sony E-mount lens  works silently and could use powerzoom on some zoom lens.

Moerover ,I think most filmmakers may never using AF ,and AF mostly for  documentary films and broadcasting.

Second video looks great. Really looking forward to seeing this camera with more cinematic camera movements.

Judging it on Bloom's is daft... underexposed on a cloudy day, with location/people walking around like a stock video. Also, Bloom said that he needs to learn the camera settings much better... He probably had sharpness up, by accident.

I played with the downloaded footage in Resolve, and believe getting it to look cinematic is pretty easy. There's lots of latitude. I also agree that the AF is the best I have seen yet. The C300 Mk2 is an awesome camera. But... that price? Surely they could have placed it under $10k and still turned a decent profit?

Still impressed with the FS7 bang for buck. And we will soon see what the Ursa Mini can do. Good times.

OK, i have a couple of questions for my education, would appreciate your answers:

1. The footage seems to be using only half of the DR (e.g.. nothing above 70%), why would you shoot with such broad DR for scenes that don't demand it? Seems totally wasteful of the precious 10 bits the camera is giving you. Or was it just an exposure mistake?
  2. I don't see any detail in the white shirt highs regardless of how I mess with the grade even though everything is maxed out at 70%. Am I missing something? Or is it just a consequence of not using the entire DR as I mentioned above?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I don't know who convinced Philip to start grading to mimic Instagram's Sierra filter but it's really hideous, destroys all the image personality. He used to grade SO beautifully! 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Dan's footage (and bloom's) definitely have marked digital sharpening within the camera (C-LOG & C-LOG2 untouched) that was never in previous C cameras.

IpzQCC9.jpg

8fru53r.jpg

KkXZArK.jpg

There's definitely digital sharpening in there, I know it when I see it and it's in Bloom's c-log 2 XF-AVC footage too. Looks like GH4 video images. I really hope this isn't an inherent image-processing look in the C300II, as it instantly makes it miles less filmic than alexa/varicam league cameras. 

I will preserve judgment though. Perhaps it's user error/choice, but not a good first impression, Bloom specifically hates and turns off sharpening.