Almost ready to go for the A7R II -- some questions

manueldomes

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

And don't forget moire. 

The a7ii is much better than the a7 so I imagine the A7rii will as well, also 4k often help. But still, might be smart to wait for a review. 

(personally it really needs to be special to justify the cost when one can buy an a7ii and an A7S used for less money.) 

And don't forget moire. 

The a7ii is much better than the a7 so I imagine the A7rii will as well, also 4k often help. But still, might be smart to wait for a review. 

​I don't see any moire in the 4k video Sony posted when the A7rII was released. The A7II is also much better than the original - which was really bad IMO.

The scheduled release date is 2 1/2 weeks away, I'm really surprised we haven't seen anything else from this camera yet.

• Super Members

​I don't see any moire in the 4k video Sony posted when the A7rII was released. The A7II is also much better than the original - which was really bad IMO.

The scheduled release date is 2 1/2 weeks away, I'm really surprised we haven't seen anything else from this camera yet.

Pretty much what I just said. 

And the a7 really got a bad rep when it came to moire. It was so easy to avoid. I've had much more trouble with moire in the nx1, bmpcc and a6000 than the A7.

And none so far with the a7ii. Only had for three days though. 

I preordered it and plan on testing it against my A7s when it arrives. For me, I found the A7s to have a few too many gotchas. I found that when I rented a Shogun and went to film with it, it was so impractical because of the size. If I wanted a large set up camera, I'd get a URSA mini! I also didn't like how small the stills were. 5mpx in crop mode! I have a ton of amazing crop lenses that were rendered useless. Also, the lack of internal 4k and the need for a shoulder rig to stabilize all the time irked me. Despite it's amazing low light sensitivity, those small gotchas were annoying.

Now if I could only load a preview LUT onto the damn thing, I'd be set!

Pretty much what I just said. 

And the a7 really got a bad rep when it came to moire. It was so easy to avoid. I've had much more trouble with moire in the nx1, bmpcc and a6000 than the A7.

And none so far with the a7ii. Only had for three days though. 

Do you have any samples with moiré on the nx1? I'm curious because I haven't seen it in any videos so far that I've seen. Its rolling shutter in 4k is pretty irksome from what I've watched though. 

Question: does the a7r II have variable frame rate -- as in: below 24fps -- like the GH4 did?

Also: has anyone seen the limit for exposure time where shutterless exposure is concerned? (electronic shutter) I'd love to see it up near 30 seconds for night shooting.

Also II: any chance at that we get lossless compressed raw? It really bugs me that the 11bit raw is lossy. 

• Administrators

Also II: any chance at that we get lossless compressed raw? It really bugs me that the 11bit raw is lossy.

​Don't think it has the variable frame rates but shutter speed can go slower than 1/24 in video mode if that helps and for time-lapse @ 1-24fps you don't need the video mode just the intervalometer.

I think the A7R II has 14bit raw. Still slightly compressed though. Sony are aware of requests for lossless.