Almost ready to go for the A7R II -- some questions

manueldomes

Hi, new user here...

I've been waiting for about a year now to invest in video-focused gear now since my stuff got stolen in Paris... After being somewhat letdown by the GX8's lack of IBIS while filming (something I would really value for what I have in mind), I think I am ready to go for the A7R II rather than to wait for the A7S II or whatever else might come down the road, especially as I will need some decent gear rather sooner than later :)

Some remaining questions (I know the camera is not out yet, but I figure most of these can be answered already or very soon): 

1 - If I get the Speedbooster Ultra for e-mount and mount it on the 7RII, it will allow (or rather force) me to use the S35 4k mode (which I am planning to use anyway) in full coverage?
2 - When speedbooster is coupled with the Rokinon EF Cine primes 24mm and 35mm in S35 4k mode, which equivalent focal length in 35mm "full frame" photo terms would this yield? I can't seem to wrap my head around the math there :)
3 - I have a bunch of beautiful S16 C primes flying around, and I see there are C to E-mount adapters -- if I shoot S35 4k with these, would I be able to crop out the massive vignette and still arrive at 2K footage with no pixel binning? And would IBIS work? (I assume you can input the focal lengths manually for legacy and adapted lenses)
4 - Any updates on how the A7RII is handling rolling shutter in S35 mode?
5 - I saw some interesting discussions regarding upsampling 4k 8bit footage to 2k 10bit footage for additional latitude in post -- can this be simply achieved by working with the 4k files in the editor and then exporting at 2k 10bit? The posts I saw about this all talked about the GH4 but in principle I assume it should be possible with the A7R II, too? //edit: did some research on this and seems that it's not all as beautiful as it seemed ;) So 4k to 2k for the extra perceived detail and options for post-cropping -- fine!

Sorry if some of these questions are a bit newbie-ish, just getting back into the game :) Thanks mucho in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Surprise surprise, doing a full pixel readout from a 16 megapixel area gives terrible rolling shutter skew.

The full frame mode looks usable in shots with little motion, but with what chance of artefacts?

This sensor is just not for us.  You know something is wrong when you are buying a speed booster for a full frame camera. (Unless it was a medium format speed booster. That would be a different prospect. But alas it is not.)  If you are set on this camera I would use the APSC crop for locked down shots only and use full frame for everything else presuming the artefacts are sparse enough.  Just get a regular adapter.  If you are using manual lenses then it doesn't even need to be smart.

With the global shutter options that are available or will be coming available, I personally I think that it's bonkers to spend multiple thousands on such a high megapixel rolling shutter camera if your priority is video.  Unless you are loaded.

Been doing A LOT of research today and have come to similar conclusions since my bold statement MattH... 

For what I would be putting down on the A7R II body I could get a GH2, a speedbooster XL, one of those nifty pistol grip gimbals for stabilization when needed (likely to do a better job than the A7R II IBIS) and a Blackmagic Micro with global shutter for color sensitive stuff and to get rid of rolling shutter when needed. Oh, technology...

To the OP, the A7rII is going to be released in about 3 weeks, so we should start seeing more footage soon. I'd hold off on the ordering it or speedbooster until more footage surfaces if you have any doubts. We literally have one video from the camera right now and on my 4k monitor it looks really good. Pretty tough to make concrete statements without any actual tests. Dan Chung's preview still didn't include any recorded footage and like all the previews (except for Brian Smith's romp around NYC that was all stills) he wasn't able to take the camera into the field.

It's not an A7rii, it's an A7ii :)

I just figured they would act pretty much the same since the A7 and A7r does.

Ok... but no. Your A7ii has a totally different sensor technology than the A7rii. The new chip has memory directly attached to it. This allows it to achieve super fast readouts. Also it is backside illuminated, so it should have a 1-1.5 stop advantage over a similar non-backside illuminated sensor.

That's why I figured you must have an A7rii, because doing this test with the older A7 series cameras would yield meaningless results.

Oh well, guess still have to wait and see.

• Super Members

Ok... but no. Your A7ii has a totally different sensor technology than the A7rii. The new chip has memory directly attached to it. This allows it to achieve super fast readouts. Also it is backside illuminated, so it should have a 1-1.5 stop advantage over a similar non-backside illuminated sensor.

That's why I figured you must have an A7rii, because doing this test with the older A7 series cameras would yield meaningless results.

Oh well, guess still have to wait and see.

Maybe meaningless to you, but not me since the Full Frame was better.

Even though I've had an E-m5 it seems I had forgotten how much of an impact ibis has on rolling shutter.

The a7ii has virtually none when used handheld and you really need to whip it to make show clearly. Much better than the a7, a6000 and of course A7s in that respect. 

​BSI may add a little DR, but not that much. Look at the NX1 vs the A6000 - almost identical. See here: http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Samsung-NX1-versus-Sony-A6000___976_942

Anyone expecting a dramatic jump will be seriously disappointed.

@DBounce The A7R II sensor is not a 'stacked' sensor with memory attached to it. This is only the case with the 20MP 1-inch sensor in the RX100 IV and RX10 II. The full frame sensor does have fast readout because of it's BSI design.

I think BSI doesn't do much regarding to image quality, except for very small sensors (phone cameras). Look at the RX100 cameras. First generation had a normal 20MP sensor, RX100 II got the same chip but with BSI tech. There is no clear advantage in image quality.

All I'll say is just hold off on the exciting pre-order until the reviews come in. Like the A7s, the rolling shutter won't be perfect, and there'll be the typical 8-bit grading problems but personally I love the A7s despite these issues and can work around them. It's been almost a year since I got the camera and I've gotten better and better at filming with it. For the price range of these cameras you're not going to get something perfect. For 4k more, there will still be problems, just different ones.