Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ300

shanebrutal

Looks like Panasonic just announced a new hybrid camera. They have a tech video on their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pCIKlXfjNo

Also B&H has the specs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162645-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz300_digital_camera.html

Cool features:
A 25-600mm constant f/2.8 Leica lens
30/24p 4k, 60p/1080 and slow-motion 720p/120 and 480p/240
5 Axis image stabilization(b&h claims it works in video)
Price is $597.99 USD.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"4K video is a huge part of the FZ300 experience. You can record 4K/UHD (3840 x 2160) video at 30p or 24p with full-time AF, manual controls, zebra stripes, 'cinelike' gamma, and much more - all at a bit rate of 100Mbps. If that's a bit too much, 1080/60p and lower resolution modes are also available. If you want to produce slow motion clips, there's a mode which records at 120 fps (1280 x 720). As mentioned earlier, the FZ300 combines optical and digital image stabilization to produce a 5-axis hybrid IS system, though as we've already noted that only kicks in when shooting HD (and lower resolution) video."

If you look past its fixed lens and tiny sensor (similar to a camcorder), then this appears to be a kick ass camera and at very low price! I won't buy it now, but when it comes on sale at half price in a year or two? Hell yeah. (its RRP at release is already under six hundred dollars)

4K video, weather sealing, 25-600mm zoom, constant f/2.8, 'cinelike' gama, 100Mbps, zebras, manual controls, 120fps @ HD, 5 axis stabilisation, mic jack input, and more!!

This could be a wonderful run and gun camera for a reporter, or as a back up camera to keep in the car. (need to grab a quick shot but it started dumping with rain? No problem with the FZ300! Got to get a very far away shot that you didn't bring a quite long enough lens for? No problem with the FZ300! Want a wide angle B cam to shoot 4K in an interview so you can punch in later? No problem with the FZ300! etc etc....  This won't ever be a camera which is perfect at any one specific thing, but will serve as a wonderful jack-of-all-trades to keep around in your tool kit "just in case")

http://***URL removed***/articles/1065643550/fast-zoom-what-you-need-to-know-about-panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz300?slide=8

I've been looking at the FZ1000, for it's 4K capabilities, for a specific project, but this may be all I need. Has there been any talk of the FZ1000's successor? If not, I wonder if the FZ300 will bring down the price point of the FZ1000. 

It's exciting to see Panasonic implement 4K into their smallest, sensor compact cameras. I assume Canon's hand will be forced to include 4K in upcoming models, most likely in their Rebel line, but probably into their G series as well, and who knows... Maybe even their S series. 

The FZ1000 isn't much more expensive. The difference is about 130 Euro's. I think that makes the FZ1000 a lot more attractive with its bigger 1 inch sensor.

Only advantage of the FZ300 is that you keep wide angle in 4k mode (27mm), where the FZ1000 goes to 37mm because of the crop.