What's the cheapest entry-level drone? DJI Phantom?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I am shooting a commercial for the city and I believe the only way to really get the ''wow'' effect is by doing epic drone shots. The problem is they don't really have them in the country in any store so I'll have to go the B&H international shipping way or similar, and keeping in mind there's a 256% customs & tax that I'll have to pay here on arrival, I think I am better off with the cheapest possible solution. 

What's the most basic, affordable drone that gives just acceptable results?

nothing fancy at all just a basic kit to get some shots (will end up being mostly watched in broadcast SD and 720p YT at most). I would imagine my only requirement is that it should be steady enough (no crazy vibrations and whatnot). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From a drone pilot pov your post reads like this: Guys I've been offered money to give a violin concert. Which is the cheapest violin I can buy that I can give a concert with?

If you want drone shots, get a drone pilot or someone with RC model experience, at least!

A Phantom costs 1300$, it will cost you 3000$. for that money you can fly someone with experience!

Yeah, the balloon trick isn't even such a bad idea, saw it mentioned the other day as well (for video 'mweh, not so much' though):

Buying a multirotor aerial platform somewhere I think you might be best off getting something from China? Take a look at:

In the end though, I do believe DJI has the best total package and the experience will probably be a bit superior to some of these other options out there.

Do make sure you know your local regulations though... that's what keeping me from getting one myself. Up to 250gr it's all fine and dandy, anything above gets you in trouble quickly. Especially in populated areas.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Is it so wrong to buy a drone and get into it? Nowhere have I mentioned I wouldn't take the neccessary proper steps of learning how to operate it safely. 

Thanks Cinegain for the helpful links. Look like an option. 

Anyone have more ideas on the most affordable drone/s to get decent stable footage with? Just the most basic performance of getting shots well. 

If you want stable footage, the DJI Phantom is the easiest route! And Egypt is a great place for drone flying, don't think I am trying to avoid you to learn!!! ;-)

The best way would be to get the cheapest drone you can, to train with it. Better to crash a cheap drone. Then when you are confident, you get a better drone!

Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The DJI Phantom 3 comes with light bridge software I believe (you'd have to confirm) and you can buy 2 models...the 4k pro model and the cheaper HD Advanced model...you'd have to check the specs...I also believe they use 20mm lenses...my Inspire 1 does...If all you need is SD or maybe 720P, the advanced is excellent value at $999 US...you can use your iphone as a monitor...the Inspire is like having a tripod in the sky....rock solid and if you google phantom 3 footage you will find it equally impressive...that 999 is ready to fly...only a small monitor for camera POV needed...I also tend to use the gimbal on follow mode and use the quad to create the movement I want for the shot....hope this is helpful!

I'd be extra careful to get the full information on the regulations for Drone use and possession in your country.

Even if you have full permissions of local police or government for a specific use (commercial for the city), in certain areas the military can arrest you for just having possession. I've heard a few horror stories recently where drone equipt camera teams have had their equipment seized and impounded in Egypt, apparently after being previously assured that permission had been granted. 

This admittadly has been non-native crews, so hopefully you will have a much better chance of finding out the precise rules and regulations in your country...hopefully they don't apply to you.

I would like to be told that this is wrong, and would be interested to find out what advice you can get from your authorities. You should be able to access the definitive rules and regulations that apply to you.