How to store all that 4K footage out in the field?

jonpais

I just came across a review of the new Samsung P3 4TB external hard drive. I know most of you don't get excited about storage, but for me, this is a wet dream. A portable storage solution for around $150 USD that can hold 4TB and doesn't need an external power supply (USB powered). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I for one do care tremendously about this. As RAW and higher res cameras become more common place, inexpensive storage solutions become extremely important. I would encourage other members to share their practical storage solutions too. This looks great for the field. Personally I'm interested in a 12-20 TB hard drive for studio storage.

Is it available already?

Honestly SSD is useless for storage (due to the price of course)

I believe it'll be available by the end of the month. At the moment in Vietnam, only two similar storage solutions are available: the LaCie Rugged Raid, which is only sold by one shop in Ha Noi; and the WD Pro, which sells for over $500 USD! Samsung has a greater presence here, so perhaps it will be on retailers' shelves in Vietnam by 2020!

5TO for 190€ http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00185401.html

You have to duplicate it to call it archive.

10TO is in sight, just wait a little for the price.

http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/enterprise-sata-drives/ultrastar-archive-ha10

JBOD is cheap solution for clustering disks. Duplication is necessary for backup.

And not only duplicate the files: for maximum security, the drives should be stored in different locations to guard against theft, fire, etc. :)

Why not just get one of these?

The Gnarbox looks insane for sharing almost instantly on the web. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it were available today.

Funny, they talk about usually shooting in the highest res possible and 4K capability, but they show a Canon 5D that can't even record proper HD.

5TO for 190€ http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00185401.html

You have to duplicate it to call it archive.

10TO is in sight, just wait a little for the price.

http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/enterprise-sata-drives/ultrastar-archive-ha10

JBOD is cheap solution for clustering disks. Duplication is necessary for backup.

​All well and good, but these aren't portable drives, they're meant to be installed in your desktop. Or am I missing something? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

What are the good options that suck up the memory card as fast as possible on the field? 1TB range would be great. 

Also do you think just using a large amount of memory cards just as good? 

What are the good options that suck up the memory card as fast as possible on the field? 1TB range would be great. 

Also do you think just using a large amount of memory cards just as good? 

​Ebrahim - I don't think you'll find a faster 1TB portable drive on the market than this. $600, but you pay for quality. It's also pretty.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes it's great I've seen it before but is there a way to transfer directly from cards to the drive? I've seen a few drives with SD/CF slots for transfer but they all seem to be very low end, for photos and so on. is there some kind of adapter one could use with a regular USB SSD like the Samung? I am but lost in field storage all I have are in-office SSDs into the edit suite where I simply transfer files through PCs, which is not an option to carry a Laptop on the field really.

Yes it's great I've seen it before but is there a way to transfer directly from cards to the drive? I've seen a few drives with SD/CF slots for transfer but they all seem to be very low end, for photos and so on. is there some kind of adapter one could use with a regular USB SSD like the Samung? I am but lost in field storage all I have are in-office SSDs into the edit suite where I simply transfer files through PCs, which is not an option to carry a Laptop on the field really.

​i think here we're entering the territory of recorders like those made by Atomos, which record directly to SSD, and which cost thousands of dollars. Out of my league, I'm afraid.

I just came across a review of the new Samsung P3 4TB external hard drive. I know most of you don't get excited about storage, but for me, this is a wet dream. A portable storage solution for around $150 USD that can hold 4TB and doesn't need an external power supply (USB powered). 

​This looks awesome. I'm going to be doing some extended traveling next year - and right now I'm thinking Macbook Air to edit in the evenings or early morning, but I'll need some additional storage. This fits the bill nicely. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Jonpais: So all those ''field'' storage options you're discussing here invlove having a computer on field? That's not possible for anything but studio shoots is it? 

Surely someone came up with a card to HDD/SSD solution by now? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I found this, it's not an SSD, it is a spinning harddrive (I have really no problem with that they never failed me with normal use). It's available is 500GB for 120$, 1TB for 190$, 2TB for 230$. It has an SD card Slot, it can take an SD card, suck all the data off of it, and then even format it if you want. Also has the ability to view the files over a wireless connection with phones/tablets. It seems ideal for a field 2GB storage device, what will make it or break it is the speed of transfer and how durable it is, so one should read some reviews. You sadly usually get what you pay for though.