ELI5: Expose SLOG2 without external monitor?

anchoricex

Is there a decent method to expose SLOG2, particularly on the a7s, correctly WITHOUT using an external monitor that includes waveforms and such? To be more exact does anyone expose SLOG2 with their a7s using the LCD or viewfinder? After spending almost a week reading on SLOG2 and two somewhat conflicting methods, the only thing I can seem to garner is that you need to overexpose, and some people say 1-2 stops while others say 2-3 stops and DON'T mess up your white balance. Is there not a way to nail these exposures with the camera itself with the built in light meter/exposure compensation dial/zebras? It seems as if the a7s community never really did quite come to an agreement on this outside of that it should be over exposed, but I'm curious to find the best way possible to do it without additional monitors for a lightweight setup. This isn't for gigs, just my own personal freedom to shoot things, I've been reading and reading and reading and my mind is grasping SLOG2 and how it functions with the a7s but it would seem as if there isn't a workflow that just "works" and everyone seems to have jumped ship and is no longer talking about the a7s. 

Any help is really really appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I set zebras to 100, and simply increase exposure to the point before they come up. 

​Not always a great idea if the subject you want to highlight is in the shadows with a bright backlight, like an open window. But yeah, I find getting as close to +2 as possible without too much highlight clipping works best. Also using Premiere's new Lumetri panel helped me grade footage in post by dropping blacks and playing with whites, highlights and exposure.

So does everyone who uses the a7s typically shoot with a light meter ? And what kind of work are you doing? I would find it hindering for my shooting to have to run out to my subject every shot and figure out exposures, is there simply no real way to get workable exposures for slog2 within the confines of the camera itself? 

• Super Members

So does everyone who uses the a7s typically shoot with a light meter ? And what kind of work are you doing? I would find it hindering for my shooting to have to run out to my subject every shot and figure out exposures, is there simply no real way to get workable exposures for slog2 within the confines of the camera itself? 

No you don't have to, but it's nice.

If you run N gun just use ettr or the built in spot meter.

Btw, you don't need to run anywhere. That's the point of a spot meter.