How do I avoid blue highlights?

Turboguard

I've shoot 2 videos recently where I've used ETTR and ended up with extreme highlights that turn blue when I CC.

I understand that I've pulled the footage too far when fixing the darker areas but why do they turn blue?

I did an attempt to desaturate blue and turquoise but it still stays exactly like in the picture. 

Can I fix this in post? And going forward, should I try to avoid ETTR?

Shot RAW on a BMPCC

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 5.13.31 PM.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It looks like Premiere sucks at handling the DNG file.. just opened it and I get the same result. In Photoshop CC it looks fine.

I don't have any experience with editing Cinema DNG in Premiere though, maybe someone else can chime in on that. Have you tried Resolve? It's great for grading raw files.

• Super Members

Adobe camera raw turns blown, raw highlights blue. I haven't bothered with the new lumetri panel yet but do you have "highlight recovery" there?  

In after effects you can remove the blue with highlight recovery in 2003 panel and it never shows in 2012. But then you of course risk getting flicker instead.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So It's a software problem from your side not a camera/shooting problem.

It's fine in Vegas

tG6wHQD.jpg

And going forward, should I try to avoid ETTR?

The scene wouldn't have worked without ETTR, the woman would have gone to black, she's a already noisy with ETTR.

This scene has somewhere of around 20-25 stops of dynamic range from the sunlight to the bottom of the box, no camera would get it,

so to shoot it well you need to reduce the DR of the scene yourself, as in put a high fill light to the shadows and decrease exposure until shadows are back to their non-lit point, or go the other way and reduce the light coming from the window by putting ND gels or wait for the sun to come down :)

This scene has somewhere of around 20-25 stops of dynamic range from the sunlight to the bottom of the box, no camera would get it,

​How can you possibly tell how many stops of dynamic range in the scene just from looking at a raw still? Most high-end professional DPs can't even do that.

The scene wouldn't have worked without ETTR, the woman would have gone to black, she's a already noisy with ETTR.

...so to shoot it well you need to reduce the DR of the scene yourself, as in put a high fill light to the shadows and decrease exposure until shadows are back to their non-lit point, or go the other way and reduce the light coming from the window by putting ND gels or wait for the sun to come down :)

​Or instead of using ETTR, he could've exposed for his subject and let the window's exposure fall where it may. The BMPCC has a nice enough rolloff to just let it blow. I'll never understand why people prioritize the windows when they're shooting indoors. 

Obviously, there is something crazy going on in the processing of the first posted image of the thread.

However, what I was getting at is that the "highlights" are blue in that first posted image probably because the light coming through the window is blue/colder than the inside light.  Note that even the lower diffuse values (middle tones - not highlights) from the top window sill are also blue.