GX8 Images and specs

Nick Hughes

Granted the models that the reviewers have played with are preproduction right? (So hopefully they fix some of the niggles like IBIS we have before it is fully released)

The GH4 does DCI 4k in addition to UHD, right? What about the G7? According to B&H this does only UHD, which I find very odd.

Also, why are there no slo-mo options at all? Looks like the RX10 ii will eat this Panasonic's lunch unless 1080p 120 is added in firmware.

In the Camera Store TV video, a bit of rolling shutter is visible in the video sample from the GX8.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So hopefully they fix some of the niggles like IBIS we have before it is fully released

​Won't happen. The firmware is already final. Also, IBIS not working in video is not a 'niggle', more likely a choice. I'm sure technically it's possible, it works in live view while taking pictures after all...

• Administrators

True. The GX8 is a bit of a let down for us. Panasonic is really protecting the GH4. The GX8 is clearly aimed at still photographers. But still it beats the crap out of Canon/Nikon/Sony camera's in the same price range when it comes to video...

​But it doesn't beat a £470 Sony A6000 for stills and therein lies the problem, if it's clearly aimed at photographers.

Anyway the £599 Samsung NX500 arguably performs better in 4K mode than the GX8. 2.2x crop on the Samsung, looks like a 2.5x crop on the GX8 from a noisier sensor with suspect colour.

I don't think anyone expects that this camera will take customers from Nikon/Sony/Canon in terms of it's stills quality. However, it is a much needed progression for people already using m43. It may possibly tempt some hybrid users from other formats, but it's not cheap so who knows. They did hobble its features quite a bit on the video side unfortunately.

I will wait and see what GH5 brings, personally. I hope they include (real) video Ibis (and for 4K..) in that. It will be interesting to see if we are going to see a departure in sensor resolution though. I wonder if they dare go to say a 12MP sensor for GH5 to optimize video. That would leave me a bit in a sticky position though, as I like to do both, so I have to determine if a loss of stills resolution would be worth it. 

I am not sure how did this guy get his hands on a Pre-Launch Camera as well as upload pics. But, from the pics he has uploaded the GX7 seems to pack in noticeable improvement in detail (obviously due go more pixels), and in my presumption, about 1 stop more of dynamic range in the lower ISO pics. These are not RAW pics and I am not too sure, since they appear to be lower res pics, but if they have, then regardless of the added bulk, the 2.5mm mic jack, the lack of IBIS in video (especially 4k), Panasonic has been listening to users. Just not enough. 

That GX7 EVF hump and rectangular corner just looks so ugly in my opinion... I prefer the symmetry and sleek aethetic to the GX7.

All I wanted was just a 4K update on the GX7, and maybe a 3.5mm jack and a tiltable uppy screen and maybe weatherproofing. This total re-design and 2.5 times price tag is bizarre!

Richard's photos are pretty nice. In general, the lowlight performance for stills looks pretty good. 

I still hope Panny improves the final video specs. Likelihood is low, yes. But I, and I'm sure many people would jump on this camera if they gave it higher bitrates and 1080p slow mo.

It seems like most people would buy the Sony RX10ii or Samsung NX1 instead considering the price/performance ratio.

Only benefits I see with this right now over the other 2 are Tilting EVF, Fully articulating screen.