GX8 Images and specs

Nick Hughes

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, I guess that's what you get if you get your hopes up too high. The A7RII and A7SII with the RX10M2 will probably take over. But what the A7-series concerned... I come from a M43 background. I like the M43 lenses that are availlable, I like the adaptability, the compactness, the affordability. With the A7-series the body is not too bad, but you need to cover up that fullframe with some serious glass. Also, the step-in price is way up there. All in all, it's awesome, but you're going to be willing the drop the cash on the body and lenses and be okay with the size and weight of it all. I just wish there were more M43 cameras to get it right, but for the time it seems the GH4 is still the closest we can get.

• Super Members

I use the same lenses on A7 as m4/3 and Bolex. I'm all about vintage.

The GX8 is interesting but imo not something that can't wait and be bought for peanuts in a year or two.

Btw, the ibis on the full frame Sony is killer so it will be cool to see it in the A7sii. 

Btw, the ibis on the full frame Sony is killer so it will be cool to see it in the A7sii. 

​For video applications, I found IBIS on the Olympus EM 5.2 disconcerting.  On a gimbal, you can program how it plays catch-up during the movement. You can't on a camera.  So do you find IBIS on the sony killer when you do any kind of panning movement?  I also found that it doesn't matter how well IBIS works, if objects move in the frame its benefit is lost (in lowering shutter speed).

• Even higher 4k crop than GH4

If anyone can't be bothered to watch the whole camera store TV video, they start discussing GX8 video functionality at 8.30 or so, and around the 9 minute mark they show screen grabs of 1080p vs 4K, so you can see the crop. Has the 4K crop been measured by anyone yet? (I personally can't be bothered to grab those two stills and compare them, but I guess someone will do that at some point... )

If anyone can't be bothered to watch the whole camera store TV video, they start discussing GX8 video functionality at 8.30 or so, and around the 9 minute mark they show screen grabs of 1080p vs 4K, so you can see the crop. Has the 4K crop been measured by anyone yet? (I personally can't be bothered to grab those two stills and compare them, but I guess someone will do that at some point... )

​Yeh I watched the video. And I read a preview on cameralabs that said the same thing

• Super Members

​For video applications, I found IBIS on the Olympus EM 5.2 disconcerting.  On a gimbal, you can program how it plays catch-up during the movement. You can't on a camera.  So do you find IBIS on the sony killer when you do any kind of panning movement?  I also found that it doesn't matter how well IBIS works, if objects move in the frame its benefit is lost (in lowering shutter speed).

​Yes I like it for handheld. And yes I want it to look hand held. Otherwise I use a tripod. i know some want handheld to look like jib shots but that is not for me.

No IBIS during video...  $1200... I will keep my trusty EM1 until A7sII comes then. 

There is IBIS during video, but for some curious reason  (I am sure that it is somehow related to the GH4), it does not work during 4k video.

the headphone jack being 2.5mm instead odfmf 3.5 and some of the bitrates don't seem right. I am guessing the Complete Mirrorless Package will be the GH5 with IBIS in 4k and Log profiles, and maybe higher slomo. 

There is IBIS during video, but for some curious reason  (I am sure that it is somehow related to the GH4), it does not work during 4k video.

the headphone jack being 2.5mm instead odfmf 3.5 and some of the bitrates don't seem right. I am guessing the Complete Mirrorless Package will be the GH5 with IBIS in 4k and Log profiles, and maybe higher slomo. 

​Currently, it looks like only electronic stabilization is available during 1080 video. Not much more useful than adding it in post, with the downside of having stabilizer artifacts baked into your footage.

• Administrators

Panasonic are in danger of being overtaken by competitors taking away their unique selling points.

If the next Olympus OM-D E-M camera gets 4K as it likely will and with their market leading IBIS system, then the GH5 is going to have to do something pretty damned special (like go Super 35mm and ProRes) to make me want to use it over the E-M2.

I'll give you another example...

The GH2 used to have a big video quality advantage over Canon, Nikon and Sony DSLRs. It is why I bought it.

Can anyone seriously with a straight face say that is the case now with the GH4 vs A7R II?

Yeah, and the GH5 will cost well over 2 grand. That's the problem with the constant upgrading of new models. They continue to sell the older model at its original price point and then they bump up the price of the new model into a different price/level tier. 

Can anyone seriously with a straight face say that is the case now with the GH4 vs A7R II?

It sure was the most appealing option 1,5 years ago when the GH4 was launched.

True. The GX8 is a bit of a let down for us. Panasonic is really protecting the GH4. The GX8 is clearly aimed at still photographers. But still it beats the crap out of Canon/Nikon/Sony camera's in the same price range when it comes to video...

It sure was the most appealing option 1,5 years ago when the GH4 was launched.

True. The GX8 is a bit of a let down for us. Panasonic is really protecting the GH4. The GX8 is clearly aimed at still photographers. But still it beats the crap out of Canon/Nikon/Sony camera's in the same price range when it comes to video...

​I would say that Sony is clearly the top dog in video at the moment, followed by Panasonic/Samsung. Nikon straggles behind them while Canon was left in the dust years ago and apparently has no clue how to catch up.

​I would say that Sony is clearly the top dog in video at the moment, followed by Panasonic/Samsung. Nikon straggles behind them while Canon was left in the dust years ago and apparently has no clue how to catch up.

I thought I read somewhere that Canon doesn't believe 4K televisions are going to be as big a seller as a lot predict, so if they do believe that and they're right, then 4k videoe may not be as important a feature to your average, everyday consumer, where they dominate in that market share. 

I guess Panasonic still has a huge price advantage, whereas Sony has a huge technology advantage. But the price difference is rather substantial and sony is trying hard go crash Panasonic Prosumer Market (G7 and LX100 in particular).

i guess as long as they keep pushing each other to make better cameras it can only be good news for consumers. But I feel both the LX100 and the RX100 IV could have done with mic ins, even if they didn't have headphone monitoring. Also, I must say againn THE LX100 NEEDS LOG ALONG WITH GH4, EVEN IF THEY CHARGE PEOPLE FOR IT. 

Panasonic are in danger of being overtaken by competitors taking away their unique selling points.

If the next Olympus OM-D E-M camera gets 4K as it likely will and with their market leading IBIS system, then the GH5 is going to have to do something pretty damned special (like go Super 35mm and ProRes) to make me want to use it over the E-M2.

I'll give you another example...

The GH2 used to have a big video quality advantage over Canon, Nikon and Sony DSLRs. It is why I bought it.

​But Olympus must break on of their "barriers": supply good video. They had the time to do it with the E-M5 II and failed VERY badly. 

And since both Oly (cumbersome menus, subpar video, same idiossincrasies generation after generation - like underexpose in TTL flash) and Panasonic looks like have some points that they never address, I'm not much positive about a future IBIS in GH5. Two years after the GX7, and they can't produce a working IBIS for video.

More worried about the new sensor - Sony could be taken both Pany and Oly hostages by sensors. This unit is not BSI, no improvements in high ISO (same perfeormance as the 16mp sensor, which is a relative gain, but relative to the resolution, not in the final image), and no fast readout enough to eliminate crops in 4k; if this will be the base sensor for the GH5 and E-M1 mkII, then Sony left both almost one and a half generation behind.

The incredible 1" sensors from the RX100 IV and the RX10 II have a 6 month exclusivity clause for Sony - they probably will sell them in boatloads in this period. For bigger sensors, could be even worse - BSI could remain an exclusivity to Sony, if the GX8 sensor is an example. And Sony will have a generation gap to control.

My suggestion: Olympus, Panasonic and probably Fuji (and maybe even Nikon and Canon) must have urgent talks with Samsung about sensor supplying. The NX1 sensor is BSI and very good as we know; a Samsung m4/3 BSI sensor, with higher sensitivity and very fast readout (remember: the NX1 have an APS-C 28mp sensor in full readout at 240fps) would be killer, and stops the hold that Sony could put on the sensor market.