GX8 Images and specs

Nick Hughes

pana_gx8_f001.jpg

pana_gx8_b001.jpg

pana_gx8_t001.jpg

– 20 Megapixel sensor
– Dual IS (on sensor and on lens working together)
– 2.36 million dot organic EL tilting EVF
– Dust and water resistant
– magnesium alloy body
– 4K Photo · 4K Video
– Free Angle 1.04 million dot organic EL monitor
– Wi-Fi, NFC, QR code connection
– Continuous shooting 8 frames / sec in the AF tracking
– Body color is black and silver

From Digicame-info

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wonder whether the on-sensor stabilisation works in video mode this time round (it was photos only I think on the gx7).... and why it's only the gx series that gets sensor stabilisation. Looks v promising tho. Love the tilting evf. Looks like three dials too (one round the shutter release?) one top rear, plus exposure comp.

Finally, a new Micro Four Thirds sensor! Holy shit! 

I too am very curious what the crop factor will be for 4K . I'm hopeful that they'll return to doing a pixel mix on the sensor, but for 4K this time. That way we can get lower noise and a lower crop factor. Noise will also depend on this 20MP sensor, though. If it is indeed Sony's, I'm pretty hopeful. Their 20MP 1" sensor is amazing, given its size, so this should be even better. Granted, some of us in the past haven't cared for the colors/motion cadence of Sony sensors (like the GH3), but time will tell with this one. 

I really doubt it will have VLOG, but I hope that stabilization actually works in video. Also, why did they move the focus mode selector so far away from the grip? Now I won't be able to reach it with my right thumb. Strap lug placement also looks like it might dig into the right palm, but we'll see when it comes out. 

If they do this anything like the GX7, initial price is going to be high. Over $1000 for sure. 

Here are some updated specs.  It looks like it supports OIS and digital stabilization with video, similar to what Panasonic provided with the FZ1000.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://digicame-info.com/2015/07/gx8.html&prev=search

- Still camera shake correction: Dual IS (body 4-axis / lens 2-axis) 
- Video of the camera shake correction: HYBRID OIS + (5 axis) 

Just what I was hoping for! A E-M5II-like camera (yay! built-in stabilization, yay! tilty flippy screen!) but with Panasonic video!

So much vintage glass, couple of cine primes... would definitly benefit from that! Doesn't have to be the same as Olympus's IBIS, too much chance of weird shifts and warping imho anyways. As long as it works well handheld. I can always get something like the CAME-TV Single pistol grip gimbal stabilizer for actual dynamic moving shots.

Wait. The answered to that ánd it has a new sensor?! So, even more perfect for hybrid shooting. And I was happy enough if it didn't do stabilized 4K, just proper 1080p, but it does?!!

We'll have to see how it is in lowlight... photosites are even smaller now... hope new sensor tech and Venus engine can work some magic.

Of course, they don't want you to forget about the GH and G lines. So chances are, no V-LOG or perhaps even CineLike styles. Audio interface??

But hey, exciting. I guess tomorrow is the 'keynote', so we'll know soon. But I guess this means bye bye E-M1, hello GX8.

- Still camera shake correction: Dual IS (body 4-axis / lens 2-axis) 
- Video of the camera shake correction: HYBRID OIS + (5 axis) 

5 Axis Hybrid OIS is also used in the FZ1000. It is a combination of Optical IS and electronic stabilisation. No sensor movement is involved. So if it works the same in the GX8, that means no sensor stabilisation in video mode (like the GX7).

5 Axis Hybrid OIS is also used in the FZ1000. It is a combination of Optical IS and electronic stabilisation. No sensor movement is involved. So if it works the same in the GX8, that means no sensor stabilisation in video mode (like the GX7).

This is off topic, but do you have the FZ1000? If so, how do you like it. It may be my first foray into 4K when the price drops below $500. If you do have it and have a couple secs, can you give a basic pros and cons list? I have seen some videos and I love the downsampled 4K to 1080p. I am aware of the 4K crop factor, how is the stabilization? And anything else you can think of. 

My 2 cents: just beware of operating noise. It's a bit loud, even with stabilization turned off! It does perform ok. Nothing game changing though. Highlight clipping gets a 'mweh'. Other than that, it's pretty much a mini-GH4 with the all-in-one optics range (where it performs rather well, resolving details and sharpness is excellent). Bit unfortunate that it doesn't run f/2.8 throughout, like the FZ200 or RX10 and drops off to that f/4 quite quickly. Lowlight not too great either. Oh. And SD-slot co-located at the battery compartment. Argh.

It's an ideal travelcam (great as a hybrid!). It probably works if you work at a company and they need some in-house videos shot (for training purposes or something). For other stuff. B-cam only. I know there's quite the price difference, but the RX10M2 seems to be worth the up in price. Panasonic's G7 would make sense as well.

Actually, the best entry into 4K might just be the other fixed zoomlens Panasonic, the LX100. It shoots lovely footage... so it's great as long as you can live with the quirks (most obvious surely the limited focal range). Or if you could use that kind of extended range, maybe the NX500's crop is useful after all.

Actually, the best entry into 4K might just be the other fixed zoomlens Panasonic, the LX100. It shoots lovely footage... so it's great as long as you can live with the quirks (most obvious surely the limited focal range). Or if you could use that kind of extended range, maybe the NX500's crop is useful after all.

I was pleasantly surprised by the NX500. Like others, I was more impressed with the preproduction model, but I do believe it is an underrated camera. The LX100 is another possibility, but I think it will stay in it's price point longer than the FZ1000 will.