Sony RX10 M2 - first part of my review and a mini-comparison with the A7S and Canon 1D C

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can you shoot stills while recording in 4K?

Why can't Sony just do it like Canon has done it since 2009? When you press the shutter button, the camera stops video recording takes a picture and then resumes. The video itself doesn't cut but during the photo capture there's a second of black.

Works brilliantly.

Why can't Sony just do it like Canon has done it since 2009? When you press the shutter button, the camera stops video recording takes a picture and then resumes. The video itself doesn't cut but during the photo capture there's a second of black.

Works brilliantly.

Shouldn't be necessary nowadays with enough processing power, electronic shutter and fast SD cards.

Works brilliantly.

Personally I think that it works less than brilliantly as you are stuck with the same shutter speed as you are using for video i.e. 1/50 or 1/60 which is going to end up with blurry images 50% of the time.

Personally I think that it works less than brilliantly as you are stuck with the same shutter speed as you are using for video i.e. 1/50 or 1/60 which is going to end up with blurry images 50% of the time.

You can change the shutter in about 0.25 seconds while you are filming. You're not stuck at all. And even if you have a 1/50 shutter, just jam the shutter button in and take four shots in a row, one of them will be sharp and recording will still continue automatically. Still 1000x faster than what you need to do when shooting with a Sony. Also if you shoot on manual, you still have to change the shutter speed on a Sony too. 

In Sony world you are actually stuck because you have to A) stop recording B) change modes. C) take out slog (it will otherwise bake into the RAW photo) D) take a photo E) change modes F) put slog back on (!!) G) start recording.

I actually thought the RX10 ii would've enabled taking stills while recording. But no, still shit.

I used the RX10 ii on a shoot which had the 5d III raw as the main cam, two Sony A7s cameras as b-cams. RX10 ii was used for specific 100fps and slowmo shots. It seemed to work really well but I still have to grade stuff to see how well it matches the others. 100 fps was really good!

Which camera made the worst shots? The camera which was operated by the worst user. 

While waiting for Andrew's full review on the RX10m2, can anyone post a set of 'camera video settings' for shooting the best SLOG optimized for grading quality? I've not seen many, if any, posts from knowledgable videographers on how to set up this camera. I know most of the action is over on the A7S and A7RII side of the house, but the output of the RX10m2 looks pretty good as a solid B cam. Or even an A-cam in the right run and gun situations. But I am new to shooting LOG and getting the most from the format on a tiny cam like this. Any suggestions? Andrew: will your review cover how to get the most from this camera as in specific settings you recommend?

Thanks for any help on this.

I've seen good results from SLog 2 Gamma and Pro color. 

While waiting for Andrew's full review on the RX10m2, can anyone post a set of 'camera video settings' for shooting the best SLOG optimized for grading quality? I've not seen many, if any, posts from knowledgable videographers on how to set up this camera. I know most of the action is over on the A7S and A7RII side of the house, but the output of the RX10m2 looks pretty good as a solid B cam. Or even an A-cam in the right run and gun situations. But I am new to shooting LOG and getting the most from the format on a tiny cam like this. Any suggestions? Andrew: will your review cover how to get the most from this camera as in specific settings you recommend?

Thanks for any help on this.

whatsup misterwiggles!

since the a7s came out last year i have spent way too much time reading about slog2 and being intimidated by it... because it turns out i didnt need to be...! its p easy to deal with as long as you have some crucial prior knowledge (lol). so in that spirit heres a few Quick Start Tips™

• the slog2 output of the rx10m2 is very similar (perhaps virtually identical) to the a7s in terms of dynamic range and how it handles color –– so all that info is totally relevant and theres a ton of it out there~! ?

• slog2 has a base iso on these cameras which is your only option: the a7s base is 3200 and the rx10m2 is 800. as you may know the rx10m2 has a built in nd, so that can be handy, but i dont think that its variable in any way, its either "on" or "off". anyway, this base iso thing is something to be aware of: you cant just dial down to iso 200 like with the other picture profiles

• as far as color goes, avoiding sgamut entirely may be a good idea. i used the "pro" color settings posted on the previous page as a starting point, and decided to dial down the saturation a tad, the yellow even more, and the magenta just a bit. this has easily produced naturalistic color which doesnt require a lut to make it look halfway normal –– just some curves and saturation to taste. what you want to do with the settings in PP7 (slog2) is up to you of course and depends on the aesthetic of your project~!

slog2 needs to be overexposed on these cameras –– 2-3 stops depending on who you want to listen to –– otherwise its a noisy hot mess. ive gotten great results throughout that range

ok!!!! i am not nearly as smart as most of the posters on this board but like i said it took way too much of my life to gather this information so i hope that helps a bit ?

other posters PUHLEASE correct me if i am wrong in any of this or something should be added or something!!!

Taking the plunge!

Can't turn down the high frame rates in a small body with no fuss for (relatively) few pounds.

This should be fun :)

its SO fun youre gonna love it. tbh idk if ive had this much fun shooting since i got my first camera ? 

its SO fun youre gonna love it. tbh idk if ive had this much fun shooting since i got my first camera ? 

Absolutely agree. You just take that little thing on a walk and get great video – even handheld. That's why I wanna get rid of my other cameras and get the A7RII as an A-cam, pure convenience. In terms of stills, the RX just isn't enough for me, no night time photography doable with that small sensor and poor assists. Before I thought "hey, you might need this and that and a follow focus and whathaveyou", but I now realize that I will probably always be a one man gig and because of that I wanna stay light and simple above all things. So I need image stabilization and decent AF for times I can't do it manually. And the RX10II just works in these departments.

I actually thought the RX10 ii would've enabled taking stills while recording. But no, still shit.

You can but not in 4K, or at least not been able to so far, I have mine set up to capture stills in normal HD you just hold the shutter button and it says capture on the screen, you have to enable it in the menu

Should be here by Monday!

I wish they'd made it 12mp-ish, then the low light would have been killer for a one-inch sensor due to larger pixels. Best of both worlds, and would have eliminated the only big down side.

the Canon XC10 has a 12mp-ish 1-inch sensor and can hit ISO 20,000.

Still, i think it'll do what I need, which is to fill in where the C100s let me down: frame rates higher than 30 and occasional 4K shots.

A general warning RE: over exposing log. 

Yes It reduces noise as you can effectively push the floor down in post (perhaps beside the point but this is how Dolby noise reduction worked in way in audio with pre-emphasis) BUT you lose over exposure latitude and usually more importantly, the skin tones are pushed further up the log curve and can end up with les data allocated to them than if you just shot 709.

i wouldn't personally bother with 3 stops over TBH. Though you may find a use for one and two. Best generally is to expose properly and just de noise, I find.

smooth highlight roll off is one of the joys of log. I wouldn't want to lose it over a bit of noise...

A general warning RE: over exposing log. 

Yes It reduces noise as you can effectively push the floor down in post (perhaps beside the point but this is how Dolby noise reduction worked in way in audio with pre-emphasis) BUT you lose over exposure latitude and usually more importantly, the skin tones are pushed further up the log curve and can end up with les data allocated to them than if you just shot 709.

i wouldn't personally bother with 3 stops over TBH. Though you may find a use for one and two. Best generally is to expose properly and just de noise, I find.

smooth highlight roll off is one of the joys of log. I wouldn't want to lose it over a bit of noise...

wow thank you for your wise perspective. your dolby analogy is v interesting ?

tbh denoising as part of that workflow isnt something ive heard too much about.... ill definitely do some research on the denoising part and give it a try~!

also, same, the highlight handling of slog2 is totally bringing me joy lol. takes me back to shooting film. i love it. but i guess i could be doing a lot better??? thanks for the heads up!!!!