Sony RX10 M2 - first part of my review and a mini-comparison with the A7S and Canon 1D C

Andrew Reid

Guys there is good news, :) :) 

Sony A7s ii is getting released very soon/just got a confirmation from sony.  they are just waiting for the Sony A7rii to be getting released everywhere. Like india and some south american countries. 

Got very little info on specifications are, same base ISO,3200 But with internal 4k recording higher bit rate than A7rii.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Love the color, shame that opening wide shot wasn't from the RX. Great video but the overblown shots aren't normal overblown, it is weird: like an electronic plasticky white, can't explain it but I detest it. Then the shot with the bride on the left and the bridesmaids on the right was horrific. The bride was ruined; is that how bad the edges of this lens or sensor are?

I know I just used strong words but it is all the camera. The video is awesome. If I was in that family it would certainly make me cry, you really used amazing technique imo with the color, father speaking, music, shots etc...

I have taken a screen shot which shows how bad the sides are and it also has the white plasticky overblown thing at the bottom in front of the shutter: http://postimg.org/image/xgahcglyh/. Would I be right in thinking the latter is a dynamic range issue?

Hi Matt, the whites is my mistake playing with colors on cc 2015 , i fixed it after the post 

The wood frame is bending and the focus seems to suddenly get worse. Doesn't look like the ideal shot anywhere else but it is a nice scene, so worth including. I just can't get past the bending wood especially. The shutter door is curved too. 

I was trying a wide angle lens adapter  that's why you see this                                                                                                                                              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U706UCA/ref=s9_wsim_gw_p421_d4_i1?ie=UTF8&colid=2L7AAQZE6O8V1&coliid=I1ZLX93NR3SEOP&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=1SG08FZ5CJZY0XZK1NW3&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2091268722&pf_rd_i=desktop

Thanks for letting me know about that adaptor Ruben. It has put me back at ease. I have just tried to order with the people offering it super cheap on Amazon UK, so I can't help with your question about the recording quality (wouldn't trust my opinion even after I get it as I am still learning). Not sure if they have sold out though as it was £700 and is now back up to £1500 with 1-2 month wait on Amazon. All sounds a bit dodgy to me; there seems to be a lot of very cheap versions available and not many at regular price or even over regular price.

I have only had a quick look on iPad but the corner photo looks dodgy to me. He isn't really into video from his closing comments; this isn't a camera for photographers because it is extremely similar to the previous version. That corner photo is mush: https://www.photigy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/sony-rx10II-review3.jpg 

Is it normal for that to happen or unacceptable and a weakness of the sensor size? My gut is telling me that it is the sensor size and not acceptable. My RX100ii had similar issues although generally I got away with it in video. Something about leaves and skies from these 1 inch sensors rubs me the wrong way. I compared my RX100ii to a phone and the phone was far more accurate with color and it did 4K, so I made do with the phone instead for a while, obviously the phone is crap for dynamic range but it killed the Sony for detail and realistic color.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Panasonic FZ1000 versus the RX10m2? In the UK at least the Panasonic is half the price. It has the same size sensor & the lens is an F2.8-4.0 25-400mm equivalent. It doesn't have the HFR but what other advantages does it have to justify the 2X price?

Does anyone have an opinion on the Panasonic FZ1000 versus the RX10m2? In the UK at least the Panasonic is half the price. It has the same size sensor & the lens is an F2.8-4.0 25-400mm equivalent. It doesn't have the HFR but what other advantages does it have to justify the 2X price?

The guy from Egypt (Ebrahim?) said the FZ1000 is crap when I asked this (he said something like "never been able to get/see good video from it"). The RX10ii price fluctuates wildly so don't make any rash decisions and certainly do not buy through Amazon because there is a scammer there called ASK who seems to be the only seller at the moment. Waiting on whether DigitalRev are selling the proper camera for a nice price (maybe £900) as someone has ordered two from them in the UK. 

The guy from Egypt (Ebrahim?) said the FZ1000 is crap when I asked this (he said something like "never been able to get/see good video from it"). The RX10ii price fluctuates wildly so don't make any rash decisions and certainly do not buy through Amazon because there is a scammer there called ASK who seems to be the only seller at the moment. Waiting on whether DigitalRev are selling the proper camera for a nice price (maybe £900) as someone has ordered two from them in the UK. 

That's just one opinion. I've seen some very good stuff done with the FZ1000. That said, it's been outdone in every basic respect by the RX10 Mark II. 

That's just one opinion. I've seen some very good stuff done with the FZ1000. That said, it's been outdone in every basic respect by the RX10 Mark II. 

Thanks for your opinion. I am so sick of looking at cameras that I might just pick up the FZ1000 if they have it for a good price foday at shopping center, where there is a Jessops (UK camera store). I am in the middle of a f-ing fraud case now with Amazon about their dodgy sellers. Anyway if it is crap I will know who to blame:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know the RX10ii is better in every way, but it is basically the same sensor (as far as I can tell), which has been modified so it can do slow motion. I expect a slight improvement in quality. But I have seen mushy corners and other hints of the limits I had with my RX100ii. A cheap FZ1000 would probably be fine for a year or so. Then I can invest in a system like the A7sii (when my bank manager is fatter), which I assume with become the gold standard prosumer for video.

Let's put it this way: your clients will never know! 

If you need HFR and can pay the difference, why not?? For the rest of us, the FZ1000 is probably good enough. I have an LX100 and would love to get an FZ1000 to compliment it!

Just a word up to say the cameras are being shipped from Hong Kong and will arrive in a week. From what I know, RX10's from Hong Kong have no recording limits. 

Just a word up to say the cameras are being shipped from Hong Kong and will arrive in a week. From what I know, RX10's from Hong Kong have no recording limits. 

To quote myself, the tracking data now says it's out for delivery in my area. The cards haven't come yet though so will have to hustle on getting a card sorted when they arrives today. 

Any word on the updated review or what?

Are you guys able to tweak the individual picture profiles like they do with the A7S on these smaller cameras?

Slog2 PicPro from Kholi modified to CINE4- 
Black Level: 0
Gamma Slog or CINE4: 2
Black Gamma > Range: Middle , Level: -3
Knee > Mode: Auto , Auto Set > Max Point: 95 , Sensitivity: Mid
Colore Mode: Pro
Saturation: +8
Color Phase -2
Color Depth > R+1, G-1, B+2,, C-2, M-1, Y-3
Detail > Level, -5 Adjust > Mode; Manual, V/H Balance: -2, B/W Balance Type3, Limit: 0, Crispening:0, hi_light Detail: 0

White balance > Manual > Grid setting B 1 (one to the left)

Any word on the updated review or what?

Are you guys able to tweak the individual picture profiles like they do with the A7S on these smaller cameras?

Slog2 PicPro from Kholi modified to CINE4- 
Black Level: 0
Gamma Slog or CINE4: 2
Black Gamma > Range: Middle , Level: -3
Knee > Mode: Auto , Auto Set > Max Point: 95 , Sensitivity: Mid
Colore Mode: Pro
Saturation: +8
Color Phase -2
Color Depth > R+1, G-1, B+2,, C-2, M-1, Y-3
Detail > Level, -5 Adjust > Mode; Manual, V/H Balance: -2, B/W Balance Type3, Limit: 0, Crispening:0, hi_light Detail: 0

White balance > Manual > Grid setting B 1 (one to the left)

Just got the camera and yes all those tweaks are in there

While waiting for Andrew's full review on the RX10m2, can anyone post a set of 'camera video settings' for shooting the best SLOG optimized for grading quality? I've not seen many, if any, posts from knowledgable videographers on how to set up this camera. I know most of the action is over on the A7S and A7RII side of the house, but the output of the RX10m2 looks pretty good as a solid B cam. Or even an A-cam in the right run and gun situations. But I am new to shooting LOG and getting the most from the format on a tiny cam like this. Any suggestions? Andrew: will your review cover how to get the most from this camera as in specific settings you recommend?

Thanks for any help on this.