Sony RX10 M2 - first part of my review and a mini-comparison with the A7S and Canon 1D C

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's a new review, first time for this guy. Great stuff, I love him. Confirms that this camera is awesome and that it doesn't overheat, so I think we can put the five minute bullshitometer up to 95%. Another Sony page did reply to me on Facebook then deleted it immediately, so they are not 100% sure either. Anyway we should get confirmation soon and then it is time to buy. The reviewer also talks about the A7rii so maybe it should be shared there too? This guy is well worth subscribing to...

Here's a new review, first time for this guy. Great stuff, I love him. Confirms that this camera is awesome and that it doesn't overheat, so I think we can put the five minute bullshitometer up to 95%. Another Sony page did reply to me on Facebook then deleted it immediately, so they are not 100% sure either. Anyway we should get confirmation soon and then it is time to buy. The reviewer also talks about the A7rii so maybe it should be shared there too? This guy is well worth subscribing to...

This guy rules. I hope he keeps reviewing cameras.

"I do alot of asian weddings."

Yeah that photo at 7.28 was really blown out in the sky, but the bride actually looked awesome. The black and white one looked great to me. I took it as this being someone who isn't obsessed with things that we necessarily always need to care about. I thought it might be Mickey Mouse time when I saw that first photo but I left thinking this is an interesting guy who has been at it along time and has his own opinions and standards. I think he might be a guy that is willing to let a sky look nastily overblown for the sake of getting the best shot of the bride and groom. Whereas most people would want to play by the rules at their expense. I dunno, I am still a noob.

I really want to know does it overheat in 4K mode?

Not after 30 minutes of continuous recording and I doubt it's generally much of an issue, the sensor is small and the body quite substantial. The camera has never felt too hot, either.

Dear Andrew, 

I bought this camera and I do love it. I bought it though for mostly 4K video which is fantastic but the selling feature for me was the ability to record 4K while taking 16.8 MP stills.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to take photos while recording in 4K, I've downloaded the manual and a help guide but nowhere does it state this, yet everywhere I read it states this "16.8-megapixel stills can be captured while recording 4K movies" and here is one of the sites

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx10-ii/sony-rx10-iiA.HTM

If anyone can help on this matter please do so I'm lost & tried just about everything with every card possible and still a no go.

I don't see why Sony would leave this out, I also own a Sony AX100 a great 4K video camera and it allows me to take stills while recording in 4K albeit not as good as the Sony RX10 MII

Cheers

Chris

Dear Andrew, 

I bought this camera and I do love it. I bought it though for mostly 4K video which is fantastic but the selling feature for me was the ability to record 4K while taking 16.8 MP stills.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to take photos while recording in 4K, I've downloaded the manual and a help guide but nowhere does it state this, yet everywhere I read it states this "16.8-megapixel stills can be captured while recording 4K movies" and here is one of the sites

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx10-ii/sony-rx10-iiA.HTM

If anyone can help on this matter please do so I'm lost & tried just about everything with every card possible and still a no go.

Cheers

Chris

Watch the video on the previous page. He says what to press and I think he also says that the photos are random. Fairly sure he says you can just press the button too, perhaps just once whatever he selects is turned on.

Watch the video on the previous page. He says what to press and I think he also says that the photos are random. Fairly sure he says you can just press the button too, perhaps just once whatever he selects is turned on.

No, he never said you can record stills in 4K, he only said that you can record stills when filming in HD meaning 1080P only, I can do that too, I can't figure out the 4K video recording and taking stills at the same time. Maybe it's not possible and most of these sites have a misprint or a misunderstanding and wrote in the wrong info.

I don't see why Sony would leave this out, I also own a Sony AX100 a great 4K video camera and it allows me to take stills while recording in 4K albeit not as good as the Sony RX10 MII

We do have the camera - Question

is it better quality to record HD at 120p 100m  or 24p 50m ?

is it better Quality to record 4K at 24p 100m or 30p 100m

or is just a better slow mo recording setting for post production

thanks in advance

here is a wedding Highlights we shot with the Sony RX10II  and canon 6d  on neutral settings and some grading in post 

https://mediazilla.com/wnsj9vsK0

I believe the focus locks (apart from all other settings) on the RX100 iv and RX10 ii on all fast speed modes for the two cameras. This may be a biy of an issue. Also, both the cameras are noisy anywhere about ISO 1000. I saw the pics on dpreview and a few other sites, and the video shot with SLog at ISO 1600 on the RX100 ii seemed to have noticeable noise.

No, he never said you can record stills in 4K, he only said that you can record stills when filming in HD meaning 1080P only, I can do that too, I can't figure out the 4K video recording and taking stills at the same time. Maybe it's not possible and most of these sites have a misprint or a misunderstanding and wrote in the wrong info.

Ah, sorry about that. I was getting excited about the stills as I hate taking frame grabs with motion blur from Premiere Pro.

We do have the camera - Question

is it better quality to record HD at 120p 100m  or 24p 50m ?

is it better Quality to record 4K at 24p 100m or 30p 100m

or is just a better slow mo recording setting for post production

thanks in advance

here is a wedding Highlights we shot with the Sony RX10II  and canon 6d  on neutral settings and some grading in post 

https://mediazilla.com/wnsj9vsK0

Love the color, shame that opening wide shot wasn't from the RX. Great video but the overblown shots aren't normal overblown, it is weird: like an electronic plasticky white, can't explain it but I detest it. Then the shot with the bride on the left and the bridesmaids on the right was horrific. The bride was ruined; is that how bad the edges of this lens or sensor are?

I know I just used strong words but it is all the camera. The video is awesome. If I was in that family it would certainly make me cry, you really used amazing technique imo with the color, father speaking, music, shots etc...

I have taken a screen shot which shows how bad the sides are and it also has the white plasticky overblown thing at the bottom in front of the shutter: http://postimg.org/image/xgahcglyh/. Would I be right in thinking the latter is a dynamic range issue?

It looks like a user error to me.

The wood frame is bending and the focus seems to suddenly get worse. Doesn't look like the ideal shot anywhere else but it is a nice scene, so worth including. I just can't get past the bending wood especially. The shutter door is curved too.