Sony RX10 M2 - first part of my review and a mini-comparison with the A7S and Canon 1D C

Andrew Reid

He said "today or tomorrow" about two weeks ago. It ain't happening for some reason (with any kind of predictibility). Same thing happened with Bloom. Hopefully the Camera Store do one soon and there are some other opinions slowly popping up. Pretty mixed opinions though; generally photographers are "meh" and videographers seem more enthusiastic. But nobody is making bold statements like it can be used as a b cam for the Sony xxx or it is on a par with the Panasonic xxx.

No replies from Sony yet about the five minutes. The fact that it costs a lot in India is a good sign, which points to it more likely being a mistake in the specs list, as it is very similar to the RX100 in other ways. The reason Samsung make lower spec phones in Asia is so they can charge less, so it makes no sense to criple it and actually charge more. The fact there have been no replies means even Sony aren't sure.

I honestly think this is a goof by Sony. I couldn't think of any reason why this would be reduced - the GH4, NX1, A7RII and all the others 4k internals certainly aren't. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I saw some sample pics from the RX10 ii (on http://***URL removed***/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/sony-rx10-ii-real-world-samples#page=1 ), and I noticed, that it doesn't seem to resolve a lot of detail for a 20MP camera. Also, the low light on it doesn't appear to be very good. I would say that ISO 1600 is probably the maximum that one should push it, and ISO 800 would actually be quite good. I also find that the lens, like that on the LX100, seems better at portraits that at wide shots. In portrait it seems ti resolve a lot more detail. 

Rx10ii is more expensive in india comparatively USA. Despite having its 5 minutes limit. 

He said "today or tomorrow" about two weeks ago. It ain't happening for some reason (with any kind of predictibility). Same thing happened with Bloom. Hopefully the Camera Store do one soon and there are some other opinions slowly popping up. Pretty mixed opinions though; generally photographers are "meh" and videographers seem more enthusiastic. But nobody is making bold statements like it can be used as a b cam for the Sony xxx or it is on a par with the Panasonic xxx.

No replies from Sony yet about the five minutes. The fact that it costs a lot in India is a good sign, which points to it more likely being a mistake in the specs list, as it is very similar to the RX100 in other ways. The reason Samsung make lower spec phones in Asia is so they can charge less, so it makes no sense to criple it and actually charge more. The fact there have been no replies means even Sony aren't sure.

I think camera manufacturers who are complacent about markets like India are actually ill-informed. I see a lot of Nikon and Canon DSLRs and their long zooms cost less in India than in a lot of other countries (including the US). I am sure Canon and Nikon are milking the market for millions of US$. It's actually Sony and Panasonic's loss, by bringing in older models, and having a poor after sales setup. 

Just to wade into the 4 min recording limit debate.

I bought my RX10II off UK ebay from a Hong Kong seller and saved a lot. I checked the 4 minute recording issue and it's a NON-ISSUE for my model of camera. Not sure where it was sourced from, but I let it run at 4K for 14 or so minutes to make sure. Even if there was a limit, I don't think it would be an issue. You very rarely need to record consistently for longer than a minute or two unless you're filming a wedding or concert, and this is not the camera for that!

I bought my RX10II off UK ebay from a Hong Kong seller and saved a lot. I checked the 4 minute recording issue and it's a NON-ISSUE for my model of camera. Not sure where it was sourced from, but I let it run at 4K for 14 or so minutes to make sure. Even if there was a limit, I don't think it would be an issue. You very rarely need to record consistently for longer than a minute or two unless you're filming a wedding or concert, and this is not the camera for that!

The 5 min record limit applies to the Rx100 iv. The RX10 ii has a 29 min record time. 

Funny as that is exactly what I was looking at it for. All in one stuff when I don't have the luxury of renting things.

I'm ordering 2 tomorrow to cover the lower end of my music video enquires (and as a general shot grabber), probably from Digitalrev. 

Do please let us know if you end up with this 4K recording limit or not, if you could.

I think I need to find out for sure first! Don't want the bollock ache. 

Yes,  rest of the world has this timings, but in Asia RX10ii also has limit on 4k video recording 5 min.

Do you have any other reasons to believe this? (besides the website information, which could be a mistake). 

I saw some sample pics from the RX10 ii (on http://***URL removed***/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/sony-rx10-ii-real-world-samples#page=1 ), and I noticed, that it doesn't seem to resolve a lot of detail for a 20MP camera. Also, the low light on it doesn't appear to be very good. I would say that ISO 1600 is probably the maximum that one should push it, and ISO 800 would actually be quite good. I also find that the lens, like that on the LX100, seems better at portraits that at wide shots. In portrait it seems ti resolve a lot more detail.

How can you say that based on photos downscaled to a much lower resolution.  

SanDisk are usually higher quality than Transcend and if they advertise up to 90 MB/s write instead of the 65 from the Transcends, I'm pretty sure they will work. Kaylee can probably tell us that they do.

edit: oops i forgot i ended up getting this actually http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-pixtor-advanced-64gb-sdxc-class-10-uhs-3-memory-card-black-gold/7801057.p?id=1219290682626&skuId=7801057

so i cant be of any help there; it worked perfectly but it is U3. i returned it for 2 Transcends for the same price ?

I felt really bad when i knew about it, since i shoot mainly events. RX10 is a versatile camera with all the goofy frame rates and S-log and supreme 4k. have strongly  decided to buy it, thats when i knew it has f-king 5 min limit. hmm...may be i wait for panasonic contender. 

I felt really bad when i knew about it, since i shoot mainly events. RX10 is a versatile camera with all the goofy frame rates and S-log and supreme 4k. have strongly  decided to buy it, thats when i knew it has f-king 5 min limit. hmm...may be i wait for panasonic contender. 

Again: I'd wait for an actual human being with an Asian model in hand to confirm it.

edit: oops i forgot i ended up getting this actually http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-pixtor-advanced-64gb-sdxc-class-10-uhs-3-memory-card-black-gold/7801057.p?id=1219290682626&skuId=7801057

so i cant be of any help there; it worked perfectly but it is U3. i returned it for 2 Transcends for the same price ?

Nvm, all that counts is that you're enjoying using the camera. :d

Did one the owners record 4k for 29 mins and then started another clip right away? Sorry, but for me its sometimes important to use and record on a camera for a long time. I know these are consumer cameras, but the rx10 ii could be the perfect B Cam for my 1D-C. Cool if you are ok with only recording shorter clips - most of the time I am too, but for recording interviews and events I need a camera that records for a long time - everytime.

I haven't, but it wasn't overly warm after 27 or so minutes of 4K recording. Also I believe that due to the body ergonomics the RX10 isn't as overheating prone as the (even if improved) A7RII. Still, though, I'd never expect Canon reliability from the Sony. The lens does seem a bit frail for the long run imho.

Nvm, all that counts is that you're enjoying using the camera. :d

Thats so nice thank you!!!! Im lovin this lil cam  

ive barely had a chance to use it, just got it the other day, but my first experience shooting with it (or any sony mirrorless for that matter) was great insofar as i found it intuitive enough to use without knowing how it worked~! it came late in the day and the sun was setting so i just wanted to get something on a memory card before dark

when i took a look at what was literally the first clip i [accidentally lol] shot on my mac i was surprised and delighted –– a heck of a difference from my experience with so many lousy video tools over the years; so that makes me real happy ?

half the reason i got this camera was to (frugally) finally get some first hand experience with the fabled and controversial slog2. i will not derail this thread with slog2 grading discussion but so far so good??? :flushed: