Sony RX10 M2 - first part of my review and a mini-comparison with the A7S and Canon 1D C

Andrew Reid

If you really need 24p output then just conform to 24p.  The speed increase and pitch increase will be utterly negligible.

However, unless your content is being projected its unlikely you do need 24p output.

For PAL you would need to conform to 25p anyway, so no difference in effort there.

And to do a 3-2 pull down to 59.94 NTSC or 29.97 you need 23.976 anyway.

So even real 24p would have to be confomed to 23.976

Converting perfect 24 to 23.976 is much more problematic than doing it the other way around, so that's what most people seem to recommend. There have been some good threads on this over at DVX User and Red User. 

Also, I've worked at 3 local film festivals and have never encountered a projector that couldn't handle 23.976. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How's the lens for manual focusing? 

It was pretty good, I tried following my friend around the block with it. The autofocus was reliable for any sort of wide shot or once you were at f5.6.

I needed to use focus peaking for the onboard screen to make it viable at f2.8. I would rather use the graticle or 502/sidefinder to actually see it at high-resolution with a nice contrasty LUT.

Needs some getting used to, after all there's always software involved. Depending on the mode you're in, functions change and you can't always customize to your liking. Sometimes you have the automated magnification assist, sometimes you don't. Together with the AF switch on the front and the peaking w/ the large DoF it's workable for me. Think, you'll have to try it out yourself.

Converting perfect 24 to 23.976 is much more problematic than doing it the other way around, so that's what most people seem to recommend. There have been some good threads on this over at DVX User and Red User. 
Also, I've worked at 3 local film festivals and have never encountered a projector that couldn't handle 23.976. 

they all want perfect 24p

I understand that for US it doesnt matter, but to me it matters if it is 23,97 or 24p

I cant understand why Sony does advice that the cam can shoot 24p, when it doesnt. the gh4 can handle it perfectly too, and I suppose other Sony cams can also do perfect 24p

it's a pain.... for video you need to switch to MF, caus in DMF it still runs the zoom, while in Af Mode you can either use DMF or MF to focus. In my opinion, focus peaking and the display does work really BAD

What? They all specify specifically "not 23.976" without you prompting it?  Or are they just saying they want "24p" or "perfect 24p".  This is an important distinction given that most people don't know the difference.  They may just mean 24p rather than 25p.

But if it really matters to you, then it obviously isn't the camera for you.

Hello everyone. A question if I may?

I have been playing around with the slog function and was wondering if like the A7s, there is a base iso for log with the RX10? 

I tried iso 800 as a starting point with decent results but was wondering if like the A7s, I should be using 3200?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

it's a pain.... for video you need to switch to MF, caus in DMF it still runs the zoom, while in Af Mode you can either use DMF or MF to focus. In my opinion, focus peaking and the display does work really BAD

well, of course, if you're shooting video professionally you would never want to use DMF anyway.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I understand that for US it doesnt matter, but to me it matters if it is 23,97 or 24p

I cant understand why Sony does advice that the cam can shoot 24p, when it doesnt. the gh4 can handle it perfectly too, and I suppose other Sony cams can also do perfect 24p

Pretty much select very few cameras shoot at 24p.

On the 7DII I remember finding a dedicated menu setting separate from the normal res/fps one, it's called 24p. When you activate it, the camera gives you a warning not to use this mode for anything other than inter-cutting the video with footage shot 24p negative film. 

I have been playing around with the slog function and was wondering if like the A7s, there is a base iso for log with the RX10? 

I tried iso 800 as a starting point with decent results but was wondering if like the A7s, I should be using 3200?

3200 is hardly usable, just stick with the SLOG minimum of 800, pretty sure that will be the native. The small sensor is no good in high ISO.

agolex, TheRenaissanceMan,

Thank you. I didn't realize the camera would automatically pick an iso when I chose PP7. I just manually set the camera to iso 800.

3200 did seem a bit high for such a small sensor but I thought I'd ask to be sure. Now the learning curve with Davinci resolve and maybe I'll be able to make some nice videos.

Thank you again.

What? They all specify specifically "not 23.976" without you prompting it?  Or are they just saying they want "24p" or "perfect 24p".  This is an important distinction given that most people don't know the difference.  They may just mean 24p rather than 25p.

i just prefer the number 24 aesthetically tbh ?

The client and the cinema projections says 24,00p. No 23,98, no 23,976, nothing else.

Since Sony statet out it is 24p (while they are mentionin 23,97 as 23p on their website) I thought the camera cna support also perfect 24p cinema standard like the gh4, that also can handle 23,97 / 24,00 / 25,00 / 29,97

Native ISO is 800 as I understood. I would go up to 1600 and maybe 3200 since the cpu is very good. But the chip is only 1".

Have you been able to get a better display quality in Av Mode when shooting in low light conditions? It looks like to me the display is switching to SD resolution

well, of course, if you're shooting video professionally you would never want to use DMF anyway.

yes no doubt. but what I dont understand why in Av mode DMF + MF is controlling the focus and why in video mode it drives the zoom in DMF. Looks pretty unlogical to me. When you are going to shoot pictures in AV you need to switch back from MF to DMF becouse otherwise you have focus zoom in on the display.

I whished that the controls would be more logicla and intuitive like on the GH4....