Sony RX10 M2 - first part of my review and a mini-comparison with the A7S and Canon 1D C

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, with all due respect, when you write lines like this "The RX10 M2’s nearest competitor is the Canon XC10" and fail to make any mention of the Panasonic FZ1000, you lose some of your credibility as an intelligent and impartial reviewer. The FZ1000 costs $400-$500 less than the RX10 M2 and has been doing 4K for more than a year. Many GH4 shooters use it as their B cam. Hopefully in Part 2 of your review you'll correct this oversight and tell readers why you do not consider the FZ1000 in the same class as the RX10 M2. Yes, the FZ1000 doesn't do slo-mo as well, does not have a constant 2.8 aperture, a headphone jack or adapter for XLR, but if someone doesn't need all those things it's probably a much better buy than the RX10.

• Super Members

Andrew, with all due respect, when you write lines like this "The RX10 M2’s nearest competitor is the Canon XC10" and fail to make any mention of the Panasonic FZ1000, you lose some of your credibility as an intelligent and impartial reviewer. The FZ1000 costs $400-$500 less than the RX10 M2 and has been doing 4K for more than a year. Many GH4 shooters use it as their B cam. Hopefully in Part 2 of your review you'll correct this oversight and tell readers why you do not consider the FZ1000 in the same class as the RX10 M2. Yes, the FZ1000 doesn't do slo-mo as well, does not have a constant 2.8 aperture, a headphone jack or adapter for XLR, but if someone doesn't need all those things it's probably a much better buy than the RX10.

Post 1 :)

Not to be mean at all but it's a little funny to imagine someone finally having enough, completing the registration and defend the Pany. 

Again, no mean intentions. Welcome abord.

Part 2 of your review you'll correct this oversight and tell readers why you do not consider the FZ1000 in the same class as the RX10 M2. Yes, the FZ1000 doesn't do slo-mo as well, does not have a constant 2.8 aperture, a headphone jack or adapter for XLR, but if someone doesn't need all those things it's probably a much better buy than the RX10.

You've answered your own question. Add to that lack of a good LOG profile. 

Does anyone know what the image quality of this camera vs the Gh4 ?  I have a gh4 but I love shooting with LOG and the Slog 2 is not that hard for us to grade for what we are shooting.  We shoot in bright sunlight most of the time so it really helps out having a Log file.  I would not get the camera tho if its a step down of IQ from the Gh4.  

I would like to know the answer to Igor's question as well. I'm in the process of ordering an RX10II right this moment!

May I please ask you guys what I need in terms of memory cards to get the most out of the RX10II, shooting 4k at the highest bitrate? I know Andrew made some comments about that somewhere on here but Im havin trouble findin it

May I please ask you guys what I need in terms of memory cards to get the most out of the RX10II, shooting 4k at the highest bitrate? I know Andrew made some comments about that somewhere on here but Im havin trouble findin it

Transcend SDXC UHS-I U3 64GB (95 MB/s Read, 60MB/s Write) e.g.

My cleint is requesting perfect 24p since we are in Europe and he want to deliver it for EU + US

also for conema spots you need 24p

Can't you just shoot in 23.98 and deliver 24p? It seems that most feature length films do it this way.

EDIT: That is to say if your projecting on film or in PAL.

the monitor of the RX10 has serious issues when in High ISOs in Av Mode... You can't see anything other than a lot of noise. It is really strange, it seems to affect only the preview on the monitor, becouse the image is almost clean

Can't you just shoot in 23.98 and deliver 24p? It seems that most feature length films do it this way.

EDIT: That is to say if your projecting on film or in PAL.

I could... but wouldn it be better if the Sony shoots at perfect 24 fps like the GH4? Unfortunately also the export from Vegas to XAVC is only at 23,97.... really unhappy about this... you need to wrap it into a mainconcept AVC or X264 file to get proper 24p

Hi Andrew

Have you been able to set the camera up to shoot REAL 24p? Cause mine RX10 II shoots only 23,976 in NTSC Mode.... Im really unhappy about this....

would be glad to get any workaround.... thanks

If you really need 24p output then just conform to 24p.  The speed increase and pitch increase will be utterly negligible.

However, unless your content is being projected its unlikely you do need 24p output.

For PAL you would need to conform to 25p anyway, so no difference in effort there.

And to do a 3-2 pull down to 59.94 NTSC or 29.97 you need 23.976 anyway.

So even real 24p would have to be confomed to 23.976