Wide Angle Advice for GH4

jonpais

I've got a GH4 with the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8 zooms and I just purchased the new Speed Booster and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens. Now I'm considering purchasing either a Kowa Prominar 8.5mm f/2.8 MFT mount or a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. The Prominar would run around $860 + shipping while the Tokina is available here in Vietnam for around $550 I believe. Any thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well you'll get more light from the Tokina with the speedbooster, which would be a big advantage to me. If you get one, make sure to do a lot of tests to verify it's in good condition- cheaper WA lenses seem to have QC problems in my experience.

​I guess even the new Tokina is outdated already - I believe it suffers from chromatic aberration and does poorly against direct light (serious flaring). I've yet to see a lab test of the Kowa lens. The SLR Magic 10mm would be the equivalent of a 20mm full frame, while the Kowa would be 17mm, and the Tokina around the same only faster. I want as wide as I can possibly get, especially since C4K on the GH4 is cropped so much. I'm thinking I'll be shooting in cramped, dark interiors, so speed could be an important factor to consider. There are so many cool rooms in the narrow alleys here in Saigon, if only I could figure out a way to get people to allow me to shoot them....

Andy gave me advice on an interesting option to go wide...a Schneider Century Wide Angle Converter...the widest you can go is x7 and remain optically neutral...I bought 2 and some 77 mm Chinese sky filters...the optic makes the field of view on any lens wider by 30%...I converted one and use it with my Nikons, tne Sigma 18-35 and although I don't have the XL Speedbooster yet, it solves going wide on my Canon FD 20mm and of course on the bigger Zooms where everything thing is 77mm...I was going to use both, but I'm moving to Ecuador and will only keep the one I converted...I live in the USA so no idea about shipping but the optic was only $110 plus 16 for the 77 mm sky filters I...I really like this solution as I can also change the field of view by 30 % on any of my Primes...if interested I could ship my spare to you...otherwise the SLR Magic 10 or your 11-16 Tokina would be your best bet....Cheers, Fritz

The new Olympus M.Zuiko 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO. But yeah, it's around the price of what a GH4 runs for these days. :P

i6ucfRb.jpg

zDbXONT.jpg

Nice perspective from Darren:

Best way to go wide natively, though (as long as you creatively come up with something to throw ND's in front)?

​I guess even the new Tokina is outdated already - I believe it suffers from chromatic aberration and does poorly against direct light (serious flaring). I've yet to see a lab test of the Kowa lens. The SLR Magic 10mm would be the equivalent of a 20mm full frame, while the Kowa would be 17mm, and the Tokina around the same only faster. I want as wide as I can possibly get, especially since C4K on the GH4 is cropped so much. I'm thinking I'll be shooting in cramped, dark interiors, so speed could be an important factor to consider. There are so many cool rooms in the narrow alleys here in Saigon, if only I could figure out a way to get people to allow me to shoot them....

​You want Wide, Fast, then it only makes sense to go Full Frame......

It honestly make no sense to me why someone that needs Wide and something great/amazing in lowlight would not own a Full Frame camera such as the A7s or up coming A7R II.

It honestly make no sense to me why someone that needs Wide and something great/amazing in lowlight would not own a Full Frame camera such as the A7s or up coming A7R II.

you're absolutely right! know anyone who wants to buy my GH4, 12-35mm Vario, 35-100mm Vario, a Speed Booster and Sigma 18-35mm zoom? I've been such a fool! ;)

​Well, as they would say in the Netherlands: there's always going to be people who want to be 'sitting front row for a penny'.

But valid point. If it can't get wide and fast enough for you and that's your main focus (doens't seem the case here), you might want to be looking at something fullframe after all. But then we're back to: money, size & weight again you know (and depending on what fullframe road you'd have to choose, the loss of internal 4K).

Depends on what you want to use it for....Fincher's most used lenses on S35 are 24 & 28mm...if 12 mm does not get you there on the GH4, go to the Tokina 11-16... f.2.8 and with the XL Speedbooster you'll be as wide as you ever need to be, or spend $900 plus on the SLR Magic 10mm...you already have the speedbooster so the Tokina at I believe $477 is a good price and then you're not stuck with a one trick pony camera:)

Depends on what you want to use it for....Fincher's most used lenses on S35 are 24 & 28mm...if 12 mm does not get you there on the GH4, go to the Tokina 11-16... f.2.8 and with the XL Speedbooster you'll be as wide as you ever need to be, or spend $900 plus on the SLR Magic 10mm...you already have the speedbooster so the Tokina at I believe $477 is a good price and then you're not stuck with a one trick pony camera:)

The 12-35mm was fine for me on the GH3 but with the crop on the GH4 it is no longer wide enough. I'm leaning toward the Tokina simply because it is widely available in Saigon. Also, it is much less expensive than the alternatives.

Personally I don't like to invest in native mft lenses. Apsc lenses like the tokina are more versatile. Easier to sell probably. And you can still use them when changing to another camera (which I might do).

​I agree, although I do own a full set of SLR Magic lenses...if you look at the trailer for Musgo, it was shot mostly with the Tokina 11-16 on a GH2...the lens produces a lovely image, as does the GH2...https://vimeo.com/33025136

I presume you went for the Nikon mount?...I own both the Tokina and the Sigma, which will cut together, giving you a full set...plus there's some amazing Nikon AFS f2.8 glass that Andy discusses in the lenses thread, so going this route will leave you with no shortage of glass to buy for the future:)

​I agree, although I do own a full set of SLR Magic lenses...if you look at the trailer for Musgo, it was shot mostly with the Tokina 11-16 on a GH2...the lens produces a lovely image, as does the GH2...https://vimeo.com/33025136

I presume you went for the Nikon mount?...I own both the Tokina and the Sigma, which will cut together, giving you a full set...plus there's some amazing Nikon AFS f2.8 glass that Andy discusses in the lenses thread, so going this route will leave you with no shortage of glass to buy for the future:)

Nice trailer, but not a single frame remotely approaches the decency level in terms of resolution. 

Nice trailer, but not a single frame remotely approaches the decency level in terms of resolution. 

Did you watch it in full screen? The trailer is 720p, so that might be the problem. I don't see resolution issues.

You can actually watch the full movie on Vimeo in 1080p:

Just found this clip, Tokina 11-16 speed boosted on the GH4. Doesn't look too bad for a $500 lens that becomes an f/2.

​This one looks even worse, with awful softness not only at the edges of the frame, but also at the center.