Panasonic GH3 vs G6 vs G7 for Video

Tibo16

Hi there,

I'm considering to buy one of these three cameras:
-Panasonic GH3
-Panasonic G6
-Panasonic G7
I own the Sony Alpha 5100 for about 6 months now, but in my opinion its not a great camera for video. Thats the reason, why I want to upgrade to a more professional one.
I found these three Panasonics, but have big problems to choose so I hope your guys experiences can help me to decide. 
My budget is ~800€.

Thanks in advance

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It would help knowing what exactly is it you find about the a5100 that makes it not a great camera for video, so that we'd help you choose the camera that doesn't have these specific issues. 

It would help knowing what exactly is it you find about the a5100 that makes it not a great camera for video, so that we'd help you choose the camera that doesn't have these specific issues. 

​In my opinion these are the main reasons against the a5100:
-to small for my hands
-body is getting pretty hot after using it in video mode after only 3 minutes
-no function buttons, you have to configure everything over the menu
-no external mic jack
-no view finder

I'm still a beginner and do not have a lot of experience, but these features are pretty important and the a5100 dont have it.

​In my opinion these are the main reasons against the a5100:-to small for my hands
-body is getting pretty hot after using it in video mode after only 3 minutes
-no function buttons, you have to configure everything over the menu
-no external mic jack
-no view finder

I'm still a beginner and do not have a lot of experience, but these features are pretty important and the a5100 dont have it.

- Are you recording long takes? Because, I have the a5100 and have used it in the hot, summer sun and have never had an issue with it overheating. Although, I have heard that it is a problem. 

- You can go into the menu and set any of the external buttons to do any of the manual functions you want. For instance, I set the ? Button to work for zebras. I set the up button for white balance and the left button for creative styles, etc, etc...

- Yes, I wish it had an external microphone jack. 

- And a viewfinder would be helpful, but since I use focus peaking, combined with magnification... a viewfinder isn't necessary.

Anyway, if you want 4K, then go for the G7. If not, either of the other two should work well, just remember you have a larger crop factor with the Panasonic cameras, not a big deal if you plan on using modern m4/3rds lenses, but if you intend on using vintage glass, without some version of a speedbooster, then your wide angle 28mm lens, becomes a 56mm  lens. Your 50mm normal lens becomes a 100mm telephoto lens, etc, etc...

Good Luck with you choice. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

among these three G7 is best of course. Just make sure you count in the price of lenses and/or adapters you'll need and that the camera is a 2.3x crop vs 1.5x on the a5100.

Even though the OP went with the G7, I have the A5100 and haven't experienced any overheating. Make sure to move/tilt the LCD off the body. I rolled three consecutive 25-30 minute takes shooting 30p XAVC with no issues in the hot Florida sun. Its far better than the Nex5n/7 days when the camera would get really hot to the touch and shut down after a few minutes. YMMV.

I saw this video randomly, and I realised that apparently Inadvertently  (since Panny doesn't seem to advertise it), the Panasonic G7 seems to have made a huge improvement, in auto focus, during video. It doesn't do jumping and hunting anymore, for focus. Maybe 30% behind the Canon Cinema line, in terms oof efficienty for video autofocus, at a fraction of the cost.

I could be wrong. Until someone confirms it. Here is the video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ugy8lrPTVCY