nex 7 vs a6000

BrorSvensson

So my NEX 7 is starting to act wierd since a while back when it got it when filming and i went to a place which fixes camera and they said it would cost around 350£ which is the same amount i bought it for. So right nog im contemplating if i should get another nex 7 for around 350 or spend the extra money (500£) and get an a6000?

Is the quality any difference in video mode?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yup. Whole other league of video quality. Much sharper, no aliasing/moire artefacts, less rolling shutter, markedly better lowlight light performance, it's a much better video camera. 

There is less moire and now almost no edge-weirdness (not really sure how to describe it) in XAVCS vs the old codec. Moire is still present though, the usual suspects like distant brickwork. I would say, less moire now than the 5N, but more than the Panny G6. The XAVCS is a whole lot nicer overall though. It doesn't break up when you have lots of detailed movement (trees blowing etc).

I just picked up an a5100, I bought it because of the 50mbps XAVS-C codec. I usually transcode everything to prores before bringing it into FCPX, but MPEGStreamclip doesn't handle it. Does anyone know of another program that will transcode it... EditReady?

I too been wanting to get the a5100 after having both the Pany GF2 and Canon EOS-M, and heard so much about the XAVS-C codec.  Maybe Sony Vegas would do the trick, Resolve - I don't know either.

Fcpx transcodes everything to prores on import anyway. I'm curious, why do you want to transcode before import? XAVCS in fcpx is seamless, even on the lowest spec MacBook Air.

Honestly, I don't have an answer for you. I know FCPX would do it, in fact I could only watch the files on my computer via iMovie or FCPX. I remember reading somewhere, a while ago, that it was better to convert before you bring it into FCX and then choose not to optimize in FC, and you would get a cleaner, quicker conversion. Since then I have read that you cannot set IN and OUT points while importing through FCPX? I don't ingest every second of every clip, I only transcode and import what I need. 

I just emailed Divergent Media, the makers of EditReady, and they claim their program will work with the XAVS-C files from the a5100 and the firmware updated a6000. I am going to download the free trial tomorrow and test it out.

I'm interested in seeing how the metadata functions work in that program and the LUT applications  

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

I just emailed Divergent Media, the makers of EditReady, and they claim their program will work with the XAVS-C files from the a5100 and the firmware updated a6000. I am going to download the free trial tomorrow and test it out.

I'm interested in seeing how the metadata functions work in that program and the LUT applications  

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

​no problem, i find it intersting getting to know the xavc-s codec more

I've just checked my settings, I have transcoding turned off for import in FCPX. I think it's just the clips that I drop into the timeline that get transcoded (although.... when I look at video info for a clip in the timeline it says that only the original is available)

I've just checked my settings, I have transcoding turned off for import in FCPX. I think it's just the clips that I drop into the timeline that get transcoded (although.... when I look at video info for a clip in the timeline it says that only the original is available)

I think that means you are editing in the native format. 

You can select individual clips and transcode them. I'll look again to see if there's an option to transcode the clips in the timeline automatically. You could be right though that it transcodes the entire original file, (not just the section in the timeline).

I'm not sure though that transcoding is even necessary. The only time I've ever seen it remove codec issues was with the mark 1 omd em-5 footage, which would become really macro-blocky sometimes if you edited it natively. With other cams I've occasionally tested this, transcoding one clip in the timeline but not the others, and I've never been able to see a difference. I guess if your media is fast enough to handle the increased amount of data, then editing transcoded footage should be lighter on the processor. But I'm always amazed at how well fcpx performs, even on lowend laptops. I was playing with someone else's 100 Mbit GH4 footage, and even that worked ok on the Air.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Lots if moire in the a6000,  but nice form factor and evf. 

Compared to the Nex 7 and 5n and the T2i generation, it has zero aliasing/moire. 

It still exists though fine lines when the situation induces it, most cameras do have it actually but it just depends on how much of it there is. The a6000 is a whole different league from the Nex cameras. 

About transcoding, if your NLE takes XAVC-S natively (which it probably does, it's a pretty supported codec by now)  Nothing beats editing and grading the native file, only transcode when your computer is not powerful enough to edit the native footage so ProRes/DNxHD is much lighter for the machine. Transcoding is a cumbersome process that takes time and effort and is best avoided if you can edit the native files. 

• Super Members

Compared to the Nex 7 and 5n and the T2i generation, it has zero aliasing/moire. 

It still exists though fine lines when the situation induces it, most cameras do have it actually but it just depends on how much of it there is. The a6000 is a whole different league from the Nex cameras.