gx7...still good?

Kangaroo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I love my silver GX7+20mm but I'm ready to let it go in favour of the GX8, or the G7, or the GM5.

It takes wonderful images, great camera. 

Things to note: The EVF in my opinion is also horrible. I notice tearing and rainbowy stutter on it that isn't enjoyable to use. and I never bothered with the in body stabiliser much :)

I love my silver GX7+20mm but I'm ready to let it go in favour of the GX8, or the G7, or the GM5.

It takes wonderful images, great camera. 

Things to note: The EVF in my opinion is also horrible. I notice tearing and rainbowy stutter on it that isn't enjoyable to use. and I never bothered with the in body stabiliser much :)

​May I ask you why you wan't to change the gx7?

Because if I want lightness and portability - I'd rather use the GM5 or LX100.

The G7 has all the photography features (minus stabilisation and tilting EVF) plus has 4K. It's bigger and uglier though.

The GX8 looks like a worthy successor to the GX7.  But it it's also bigger and costs over twice as much,

I'm not sure anyone can give you the perfect advice for you. I own the LX100, but not the GX7 (though I have a GH3). Since getting the LX100, I find that the GH3 is left home a lot more, whether I want to shoot video or take pictures. There are obviously limitations in zoom range, but I find it sufficient most of the time, especially since if you only plan on outputting 1080p, by recording in 4K, you can crop in and get more zoom that way. The LX100 is the best camera purchase I ever made (but that's me and my preference in terms of quality, usability and portability)

just my 2 cents.

​I have the LX-100 and love it.  It has decent image stability, a nice lens that covers a useful range (24-75mm), great manual controls, and records a nice 4k picture which looks fantastic in 1080p.  I also like the grip and ergonomics of the camera - it feels good in the hand.  I also owned the GX7, which I used with my Panasonic 35-100/2.8 lens, but sold it for a few reasons:

1) I missed some of the features that the LX-100 has - auto ISO in manual mode, being able to switch the display to monochrome to allow the peaking colour to stand out, quieter mechanical leaf shutter for stills (the GX7 was loud and electronic shutter gave me distorted pictures), full manual controls of shutter, aperture, exposure compensation.

2) The P35-100/2.8 was giving me a lot of jitter when using the OIS.  I had been thinking of trying another copy of the lens, but in the end I just decided to sell the GX7 and buy an OMD E-M5II for any longer focal length video work (and for stills with P25/1.4, O75/1.8 lenses).

The LX-100 is a great all-round video and stills camera.  I have a step-up filter ring to 58mm which I use with a set of standard ND (3/6/10 stop) and xume magnetic filter adaptors.  I leave a 3x or 6x on depending on light conditions and use them like a lens cap.  When I went on holiday I fit the LX-100 + a variable ND in a tiny Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 5 case.

I have the LX-100 set up quite comfortably (for me) right now.  Custom C1 is for stills.  C2 is set up for 4k video, and C3 for 1080p/50fps.  Fn1 for switching between custom modes, Fn2 for switching between monochrome/colour EVF, Fn3 for locking the control buttons.  AF/AE is set for autofocus (which I wish worked during recording when in manual mode!).  To switch to video I just select my C2 setting, switch the shutter dial to 60, the back dial to adjust the shutter to 50, and then Fn3 to lock the settings.  Outdoors I generally leave the aperture dial to A and modify exposure with ND.  Indoors I use Auto-ISO and/or vary the manual aperture dial for proper exposure.

I'm using picture profile "Natural", -3 Contrast, -5 Sharpening, -2 Noise Reduction, 0 Saturation which seems to be OK to me (I need to do more colour testing though which is hard for me as I'm colour-blind).

I wish the LX-100 had a tilt EVF/screen as I do miss that on the Gx7 as most of the stuff I shoot is of my kids and it is easier to get low shots.  Regardless, even the small LX-100 EVF is handy for seeing in bright outside light.

It would be great if they could extend the video recording time on the LX-100, as well as allow you set the minimum shutter speed for iAuto-ISO (for stills).  I'm also not sure why there is no ETC mode for 1080p settings.  Panasonic, in general, should allow AF-S during recording when in manual focus mode.  I used this a lot with my Olympus if I needed to quickly regain or ensure focus.  I prefer a bit of focus hunting (which I can edit out if needed) than out of focus shots.  I also find that sometimes the focus peaking on my LX-100 "disappears" - I still haven't figured out why.  It would be nice if Panasonic offered a way to "fix" the shutter speed (say to 1/50 for 25fps or 1/100 for 50fps) and ignore the manual shutter dial to save an adjustment step with the back dial.  It would also be useful to allow us to use the shutter button to stop/start video as I sometimes "miss" the small back record button.

Hi everyone!

I know that nobody cares but I decided that I'll buy an OMD em5 or 10

Basically I want the stabilizer, I want to shoot a video while travelling and I can't bring with me tripods or sliders, I'm not a pro so I think that I don't need 4k or awesome codecs, probably I'm going to regret not having 60p for slowmo but I'll try to achive something decent with twixtor.

My only question now is "having only 30p is going to give me flickering lights?" I live in europe...is there any workaround? Because that would be a really big problem...

• Super Members

Hi everyone!

I know that nobody cares but I decided that I'll buy an OMD em5 or 10

Basically I want the stabilizer, I want to shoot a video while travelling and I can't bring with me tripods or sliders, I'm not a pro so I think that I don't need 4k or awesome codecs, probably I'm going to regret not having 60p for slowmo but I'll try to achive something decent with twixtor.

My only question now is "having only 30p is going to give me flickering lights?" I live in europe...is there any workaround? Because that would be a really big problem...

I used an E-m5 for a while. Loved pretty much everything about but that 30p drove me crazy. 

I would look at the LX100 or Sony RX100 instead. 

I used an E-m5 for a while. Loved pretty much everything about but that 30p drove me crazy. 

I would look at the LX100 or Sony RX100 instead. 

​I don't really like having a fixed lens, the lx100 seems to have a very jittery IBIS (still awesome though, it's my second choice right now), the rx100 III is good but at that price point l would buy the LX100 even if it's a bit bigger.

The 30p is really that bad? I think that if there's a way to avoid lights flickering I could live with that, If I had the money I would love to buy the em5 II D:

• Super Members

​I don't really like having a fixed lens, the lx100 seems to have a very jittery IBIS (still awesome though, it's my second choice right now), the rx100 III is good but at that price point l would buy the LX100 even if it's a bit bigger.

The 30p is really that bad? I think that if there's a way to avoid lights flickering I could live with that, If I had the money I would love to buy the em5 II D:

The LX100 is not very jittery at all, it's pretty smooth. Not Em5 smooth but smooth.

You could look at the rx100ii, it's a good camcorder .

You can somewhat avoid flicker by changing the shutterspeed. 

Since the em5 is 300-350 dollars you could probably buy a used one really cheap and just try. Because it is a nice camera. Colors are awesome .

The LX100 is not very jittery at all, it's pretty smooth. Not Em5 smooth but smooth.

Since the em5 is 300-350 dollars you could probably buy a used one really cheap and just try. Because it is a nice camera. Colors are awesome .

​Yep that's the point, the lx100 it's about double the price, the em5 would be a really cheap body that I'm going to upgrade at the end of the year or in early 2016...maybe I'll try it, if  30p it's really that annoying i could sell it 

This isn't correct information.  I use the Heliopan 43-58 step up ring with 58mm (Heliopan Variable ND or standard Breakthrough Photography ND filters on Xume magnetic adaptors with no problems.  You might need to remove the small metal ring that is there, but I have it off as I sometimes use the JJC plastic automatic lens cap to prevent juggling removable lens caps.

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

I agree with everything that Mattias says (although I've never used the rx100 series) :)

The LX-100 OIS is really quite good, unlike my Panasonic 35-100/2.8 which is a great lens for still but for video is full of jitter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1sNjEfD3GE

I used to own the E-M5 I (and E-P5) and really loved the colours and shooting video in portrait situations with shallow depth of field.  What I didn't like was how the image got all blocky when there was movement or if the shot was detailed/wide.  I really liked the camera for stills too, so I recently sold my Gx7 to replace it with a EM-5 II to get the better stability with longer lenses and the stills features that I missed.  The video isn't as good on the E-M5 II compared to Panasonic, but I will mostly be using it for close-ups and shallow depth of field and my LX-100 for the wider/detailed/4k shots.

As for flicker, I owned the E-M5 I, and shot both in Europe and in Canada and adjusted the shutter from 1/50 to 1/60 depending.  I really didn't notice any flicker, except sometimes a "skip" or "flash" that randomly happened in the video sometimes.  I saw this with both my E-M5 and E-P5 and other users on the OMD video facebook page said that they experienced the same and said that maybe it was interference from the IBIS?

I'm not really sure how much the whole 25/50 fps and 30/60 fps issue is.   I bought an LX-100 in Europe for around €700, but would have preferred to get one for $600 in the US.  I'm glad the E-M5 II is a world camera (PAL/NTSC), but I'm not sure how bad the flicker problem is?  What do people do with flicker when shooting 24fps?  I always just default to 25 fps in PAL-land as it is close enough?

Here are some stills showing some good video from the E-M5 I and some bad video:

ScreenShot2014-06-04at105737_zps1eeafc0a.PNG

ScreenShot2014-06-04at105555_zpse534a791.PNG

I agree with everything that Mattias says (although I've never used the rx100 series) :)

The LX-100 OIS is really quite good, unlike my Panasonic 35-100/2.8 which is a great lens for still but for video is full of jitter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1sNjEfD3GE

I used to own the E-M5 I (and E-P5) and really loved the colours and shooting video in portrait situations with shallow depth of field.  What I didn't like was how the image got all blocky when there was movement or if the shot was detailed/wide.  I really liked the camera for stills too, so I recently sold my Gx7 to replace it with a EM-5 II to get the better stability with longer lenses and the stills features that I missed.  The video isn't as good on the E-M5 II compared to Panasonic, but I will mostly be using it for close-ups and shallow depth of field and my LX-100 for the wider/detailed/4k shots.

As for flicker, I owned the E-M5 I, and shot both in Europe and in Canada and adjusted the shutter from 1/50 to 1/60 depending.  I really didn't notice any flicker, except sometimes a "skip" or "flash" that randomly happened in the video sometimes.  I saw this with both my E-M5 and E-P5 and other users on the OMD video facebook page said that they experienced the same and said that maybe it was interference from the IBIS?

I'm not really sure how much the whole 25/50 fps and 30/60 fps issue is.   I bought an LX-100 in Europe for around €700, but would have preferred to get one for $600 in the US.  I'm glad the E-M5 II is a world camera (PAL/NTSC), but I'm not sure how bad the flicker problem is?  What do people do with flicker when shooting 24fps?  I always just default to 25 fps in PAL-land as it is close enough?

Here are some stills showing some good video from the E-M5 I and some bad video:

Maybe the problem is that the em5 shoot 1080i and not 1080p?

Btw right now there's an olympus offer where the give you 100€ is you buy a em10 so I could buy that camera for 350€, it has the same processor of the em1, it should be a bit better than the em5.