gx7...still good?

Kangaroo

I recently sold a fuji x100 and I loved the small form factor...now I want to buy something that it's roughly the same size but with a small budget.

I've found a cheap gx7, at the same price i can get the Sony a5100, my only requests are 60p and good stills.

I don't need the mic input but the evf on the gx7 is very usefull, is really comparable to the gh3? What about the a5100?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yep, it's a great camera. In fact, I find myself bringing it with me for photos more than the GH4 because it's so tiny. The EVF is nice, but is really contrasty for some reason- you don't a fully accurate picture but I don't mind so much and it's better than no EVF. a5100 is also supposedly a very nice cam- not sure about still quality but it has a bigger sensor, slightly better low-light and slightly better AF,  but worse color (subjective). As far as lenses go, you have more options available for the GX7 in the lower price range, but Sony has a lot more high-end options (which probably isn't relevant to you at the moment).

GX8 will very likely be announced next week so prices could drop even further. I always recommend renting a camera before buying it- lensrentals.com is very good if you're in the US.

Yep, it's a great camera. In fact, I find myself bringing it with me for photos more than the GH4 because it's so tiny. The EVF is nice, but is really contrasty for some reason- you don't a fully accurate picture but I don't mind so much and it's better than no EVF. a5100 is also supposedly a very nice cam- not sure about still quality but it has a bigger sensor, slightly better low-light and slightly better AF,  but worse color (subjective). As far as lenses go, you have more options available for the GX7 in the lower price range, but Sony has a lot more high-end options (which probably isn't relevant to you at the moment).

GX8 will very likely be announced next week so prices could drop even further. I always recommend renting a camera before buying it- lensrentals.com is very good if you're in the US.

​The bigger sensor of the a5100 is the thing that is holding me from buying the GX7

​The bigger sensor of the a5100 is the thing that is holding me from buying the GX7

​Bigger sensor but also bigger megapixel count.. so the noise and DR is about the same in both cameras. 

The evf on the GX7 is pretty crap imo but because its tiltable you can actually use it in a unique way by getting a Manfrotto Pixi http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81M38qFcN-L._SL1500_.jpg you can rest the legs against your chest and rotate the camera's EVF up so you can look into it comfortably and get stable shots.

That's how this was made

​Bigger sensor but also bigger megapixel count.. so the noise and DR is about the same in both cameras. 

The evf on the GX7 is pretty crap imo but because its tiltable you can actually use it in a unique way by getting a Manfrotto Pixi http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81M38qFcN-L._SL1500_.jpg you can rest the legs against your chest and rotate the camera's EVF up so you can look into it comfortably and get stable shots.

That's how this was made

I assume this is your video? Great job... It looks beautiful!!! Very nice!!!

Like I said, I got mine in the mail the other day and I have filmed about 5 minutes of tests with it and so far I am really happy with it. My other camera is an eos-m, and I have duplicates of a Minolta MD 50mm f2, nice underrated lens btw, and I think I may do a side by side test between the two. I was always happy with the eos-m but now I am curious to see how the a5100 stacks up. 

Like I said, I got mine in the mail the other day and I have filmed about 5 minutes of tests with it and so far I am really happy with it. My other camera is an eos-m, and I have duplicates of a Minolta MD 50mm f2, nice underrated lens btw, and I think I may do a side by side test between the two. I was always happy with the eos-m but now I am curious to see how the a5100 stacks up. 

​Wow, mercer.  I can't wait to see it!

I'm back!

I've found another deal on the gx7 but at the same time I started thinking about the lx100 and now I'm really confused : /

The lx100 has a great lens and the range it's quite good to me, but it's also more expensive...it has 4k and in body stabilization (IBS is something that i really care about), moire is more visible but not that much, I'm a little bit concerned about dynamic range and the focus ring (bad experience with the fuji x100).

On the other hand the gx7 is cheaper but just add the cost of 20mm and we are above the lx100 price. It seems to be better in low light but IBIS works only for stills, no 4k. I'll be able to use some legacy lens ( I love using this lens with smoooooth focus ring) but this could be also a problem if I want to travel light.

I really can't decide, the IBIS of the lx100+4k+compact size+great lens it's taking over but I'm afraid I'll regret not been able to use old lenses...

​If you start caring more about getting nice shots than the camera, I think you'll be fine no matter what.

I know that the camera is just a tool but that doesn't mean that is not important, I just want to buy something that suits my needs, I'll be fine also with an old 550d but now that I can decide what to buy I want to take the right decision because I can't afford to change gear every week 

I know that the camera is just a tool but that doesn't mean that is not important, I just want to buy something that suits my needs, I'll be fine also with an old 550d but now that I can decide what to buy I want to take the right decision because I can't afford to change gear every week 

​I'm just saying I think you'll ultimately have a camera that works fine for you regardless.  Choose either one and you're not going to be making a mistake because they both have strengths and weaknesses. Six or a half dozen.  Whateva'  You can't solve all your desires on a low-budget, so my advice (and my experience) is to not worry about it.

I mean, I bought a EM5II knowing that the IQ was inferior to a GX7, but I willingly work within that limitation.  Just something you gotta accept...or break out the pocket book and go upscale.

I'm not sure anyone can give you the perfect advice for you. I own the LX100, but not the GX7 (though I have a GH3). Since getting the LX100, I find that the GH3 is left home a lot more, whether I want to shoot video or take pictures. There are obviously limitations in zoom range, but I find it sufficient most of the time, especially since if you only plan on outputting 1080p, by recording in 4K, you can crop in and get more zoom that way. The LX100 is the best camera purchase I ever made (but that's me and my preference in terms of quality, usability and portability)

just my 2 cents.