Sony A7000 To Be First HDR E-Mount Camera

DBounce

Well the rumors keep on coming. Heres a link.

Taken from the article. 

We are all excited about the latest Sony A7rII and RX cameras. So what could be so special on the rumored “a7000″ APS-C E-mount camera to make as “Wow” again? Well, we have the answer: The Sony A7000 is rumored to be the first system camera of the world having a native “on sensor HDR” feature. This means both images and recorded video are capable of 15.5 stops of dynamic range!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I don't believe it mainly because alternating exposure times would be a horrible, horrible idea image wise. 

I don't believe it mainly because alternating exposure times would be a horrible, horrible idea image wise. 

​I don't know but it could be done with different ISO sensitivities without messing with the shutter speed. That would not be horrible at all.  

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes alternating ISO works on Canons with the ML Dual ISO feature (not that that method has no image penalties too). However, the article is saying alternating ''short'' and ''long'' exposures, which would definitely affect motion hugely. 

"How HDR video recording works
To achieve true HDR video recording, the advanced Exmor RS camera sensor in Xperia Z changes the exposure every two lines of pixels. This creates a spatially varying exposure (SVE) array image, which is then used to make an image that is perfectly exposed in both dark and light areas.
To simplify the concept, for each frame the camera shoots one picture with two different exposure levels at the same time, one light and one dark. Then, an intelligent software algorithm is used to combine (synthesize) the two shots into one picture, pixel by pixel. This allows you to see the details of both the dark and the bright parts of the picture."

I can't think of how an intelligent software algorithm can combine lines of pixels with different motion blur. If they try something like that then yes you would be right. I just think it would be much more straight forward to have different iso sensitivities.  

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Perhaps the article is just misinformed and it is using alternating ISO sensitivities, how effective would it be on a Sony sensor since these sensor are ISO-less and the 100 ISO image can be brought up to 6400 ISO in post just as well as in-camera? 

The article (rumor) does not say anything about how it works at all.

It says: "I don’t know yet in detail how this works on the A7000"

And then there's a (wild) assumption about it possibly being the same technique as in the Xperia Z.

I do like that DR has become an important factor. The problem now is having such a range with only 8 bits per channel. You might be able to grade the image to achieve specific colors, but the color tonality will be near impossible to get. I just hope now camera companies implement 10 bit internal encoding on high dynamic range cameras such as the A7sII. 

I filed this rumor with the A99II, curved sensor RX2 and the A9 "pro A7" unicorns SAR has been trumpeting for the last year or so. SAR had nothing on any of the upcoming releases - he was way off with the A7RII, had nothing on the RX10II or RX100IV. He also had nothing on the A7II at the end of last year. All the announcements were a complete surprise. It appears all his insider info evaporated after the hack and hes now just making stuff up. Well, he did get the A7RII about 20 minutes before the embargo was lifted.

I'm sure we'll start seeing "SR3 - A7sII to have IBIS, 399pt AF, 4k internal and BSI - will be released later this year or early next year" rumors soon. Followed by "SR3 - A7III getting 399pt AF, 4k internal and BSI - will be released later this year or early next year". You can probably add high resolution sensor shift mode like Olympus has to the rumor mill as well - I would because it will get clicks.

He did great work, but most of that's in the past. I still visit the site daily - its just a great resource for samples and tests of all things E-mount.

SAR had nothing on any of the upcoming releases - he was way off with the A7RII, had nothing on the RX10II or RX100IV. He also had nothing on the A7II at the end of last year. All the announcements were a complete surprise. It appears all his insider info evaporated after the hack and hes now just making stuff up. Well, he did get the A7RII about 20 minutes before the embargo was lifted.

Sony (Japan) has been working hard on killing the rumors, with great success. This has started with the A7 II introduction like you mentioned (end of 2014). There have been no real leaks since then.

Even Sony PR managers in Europe were surprised by the A7 II and A7R II, they didn't even know there was an embargo. No press release, nothing. I don't think it has to do anything with the hack. It's just Sony Japan keeping everything in a very tight circle.

• 1 month later...

More of the rumor mill:

It has a new 24MP sensor with ISO range of 100-51,200.
    15fps continuous shooting with AF.
    30fps continuous shooting in "4K Mode". This is similar to Panasonic 4K Photo Mode.
    Still no touchscreen, but it has a new 2.8M dot OLED EVF. Rear monitor is 3" 1.04M dot and is now fully articulating.
    Mic input support.
    It will have lots of exciting video features previously not seen on Sony APS-C cameras.

This camera will be placed above A6000 and target users that need both stills and video features. A6000 will continue to be sold as is.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/some-additional-a6100-a7000-camera-info

I'm thinking they will go 28MP BSI sensor.  If you take 1.5 of 42MP you get 28MP - so Samsung got it right and Sony has already followed so to speak with the A7RII pixel density.  That said the e-mount flange distance is an advantage over the NX mount so I will be getting one of these A7000s as soon as it's available - hopefully before CES, no one but Sony knows when.