RX100 IV, A6000, LX100, FZ100 for video?

fekry

So the title pretty much says it, I'm looking into buying a new camera, I mostly shoot video, though 4K isn't necessary which is why the A6000 is still a choice. I've searched endlessly but couldn't find a post or article that clearly says which is better in video between any of them. I don't care much about the size of the camera or things like that, it will be my main camera and I'm mostly interested in video quality, and maybe slow motion.

Thank You

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm mostly interested in video quality, and maybe slow motion.

​There's no singular answer.  They're all good.  It comes down to what kind of footage/style you're trying to get.  If you can articulate that, then you can get some really good advice here.

(Not from me though, but from other folks that seriously analyze the IQ stuff.  I tend to believe it's how you use a camera, not the gear itself.  This opinion of mine is in the minority so take what I say with a grain of salt.) 

At any rate, I tend to believe if you can't articulate in detail what you're trying to do, then the answer can seriously be: "get anything." This would be because you're not likely not going to be doing much considered or sophisticated shooting anyway.  That being the case, just about any new camera will allow you to grab some pretty great shots.

Except Fuji.  Don't buy Fuji for video.  Even that IQ is too lousy for me.

The RX100M4 sounds nice, but the time constraint on the 4K (5 min) and slowmo (2 sec) I believe I read about is quite painful I'd say. That would make it a no-go personally.

I use the LX100 all the time, love it. Can't get myself to give the FZ1000 the love it deserves, only take it along when I'm on some longer trips and need its all-in-one versatility (but then again, that's the exact reason I got it, I'm just using it purposely).

Haven't shot with the A6000, but when they added XAVC-S, I was quite tempted to ditch my D5300 and get one. But for the time I'm managing to keep myself from doing so. :P

The A6000 actually sounds pretty terrific right about now. It offers a lot and in a small package too. What David says as well though, you might even want to consider the G7. Little bit heftier in price perhaps, but seems like great value considering what it's capable of...

So, personally I'd give it a close call between fixed lens LX100 and versatile system camera such as the A6000/G7. But YOU'RE the one who needs the camera, so it's of little value what I think I would do. It really does depend on how you're planning to go about shooting stuff. The LX100 might fit the bill. Maybe the A6000 would be the best choice for you by far. You're the only one who can really tell. Fuzzy really hits it home on that one, they all give you great quality, so that's not even the main thing you should be looking for to differentiate these camera's, rather look at their other advantages and which would fit in best in your operation.

The RX100M4 sounds nice, but the time constraint on the 4K (5 min) and slowmo (2 sec) I believe I read about is quite painful I'd say. That would make it a no-go personally.

I use the LX100 all the time, love it. Can't get myself to give the FZ1000 the love it deserves, only take it along when I'm on some longer trips and need its all-in-one versatility (but then again, that's the exact reason I got it, I'm just using it purposely).

Haven't shot with the A6000, but when they added XAVC-S, I was quite tempted to ditch my D5300 and get one. But for the time I'm managing to keep myself from doing so. :P

The A6000 actually sounds pretty terrific right about now. It offers a lot and in a small package too. What David says as well though, you might even want to consider the G7. Little bit heftier in price perhaps, but seems like great value considering what it's capable of...

So, personally I'd give it a close call between fixed lens LX100 and versatile system camera such as the A6000/G7. But YOU'RE the one who needs the camera, so it's of little value what I think I would do. It really does depend on how you're planning to go about shooting stuff. The LX100 might fit the bill. Maybe the A6000 would be the best choice for you by far. You're the only one who can really tell. Fuzzy really hits it home on that one, they all give you great quality, so that's not even the main thing you should be looking for to differentiate these camera's, rather look at their other advantages and which would fit in best in your operation.

​I second that completely.
 Panasonic LX100,  if interchangeable lens system is not important, but if it is, then, I'd go with G7. As for 4K, it is important even if you only deliver in HD.
(Future proof, better image when downscaled etc etc)

And something less technical...I feel especially good supporting Panasonic who over the years (since SD days) were supporting low budget filmakers by making great quality stuff for an affordable price. Just my two pence...:) 

disclaimer: I don't work for Panasonic or any of their affiliates. (although, if they're hiring...:-)

At any rate, I tend to believe if you can't articulate in detail what you're trying to do, then the answer can seriously be: "get anything." This would be because you're not likely not going to be doing much considered or sophisticated shooting anyway.  That being the case, just about any new camera will allow you to grab some pretty great shots.

I agree that the answer can be 'get anything'. Even if you would do a lot of considered or sophisticated shooting. You can do that with all of mentioned cameras.

Figuring out which camera you want is something you have to research for yourself. Each one has their pros and cons. Read reviews, view sample footage, read more reviews, try them at a store, think about what you want, what is most important to you? (4K, slomo, interchangeable lenses, handling, ergonimics, battery life, sound, accessories, etc, etc...)

And yes, put the G7 on your list too :)

If an RX10 Mark II doesn't break the budget, I think it's a better balance of compromises than anything on your list. The LX100, A6000, and RX100 IV don't have mic or headphone jacks. The FZ1000 has a slower lens and much less wide angle coverage in 4K. The LX100 has even less range--it could be limiting depending what kind of work you do and what kind of shots you like. The RX100 IV even more so. The A6000 requires investing in a bunch of lenses, which I think is a distraction when you're just starting out. Better to have a great zoom and have any focal length you want. That way, you can figure out what you like before you go investing in lenses. It's weather-sealed, offers great stills for location scouting and such, and has all the focus and exposure aids you could want. It records in SLOG, so you can record as much dynamic range as the sensor can deliver. And since you mentioned slow motion, it offers higher frame rates than any of its competition. Couple that with the outstanding lens (hands down the best I've used) and its 4K capabilities, and it might be the only camera you need for a while. 

My thoughts are same as TheRenaissanceMan's when reading your post - why isn't RX10 II one of the options? RX100 IV is more limited for video use than the RX10 II.

I'd say, head to a store to check out RX10 II / A6000 / LX100 / G7 and try to find out which one you like best after trying all of them. Any of those cameras have good quality video, while the RX10 II has the best slow motion capabilities of the bunch. Image quality is good in all of those, so If slowmotion or interchangeable lenses aren't your top prio, how you like the handling of the camera should be what makes the decision.