switching from fcpx to adobe premiere/after effects.

BrorSvensson

Hi! Right now im using fcp x to edit and color grade all my work but i feel that i hit the celling of where i can't really do more with the program pretty fast, i would like to start with some basics motion tracking aswell as getting more into color grading. Would you guys recommend me to switch to the adobe world or is there any better sulutions? Da vinci resolve? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi! Right now im using fcp x to edit and color grade all my work but i feel that i hit the celling of where i can't really do more with the program pretty fast, i would like to start with some basics motion tracking aswell as getting more into color grading. Would you guys recommend me to switch to the adobe world or is there any better sulutions? Da vinci resolve? 

​You can do everything in FCPX and Motion , you're no where near the ceiling......... NO WHERE NEAR

You need to learn how to use these tools, it's not just going to do it for you. FCPX is a professional program

Motion has nice motion tracking, and it's only $50. In some ways it connects to fcpx really well (you can add extra effects, titles etc that you've made in Motion to fcpx very easily). In other ways, there're definitely missing links. There's no "send to Motion" round-tripping feature, which seems odd. There's a very good (free) third party app, called SendTo, which handles round-tripping footage from fcpx to Motion and back. 

​You can do everything in FCPX and Motion , you're no where near the ceiling......... NO WHERE NEAR

You need to learn how to use these tools, it's not just going to do it for you. FCPX is a professional program

Motion has nice motion tracking, and it's only $50. In some ways it connects to fcpx really well (you can add extra effects, titles etc that you've made in Motion to fcpx very easily). In other ways, there're definitely missing links. There's no "send to Motion" round-tripping feature, which seems odd. There's a very good (free) third party app, called SendTo, which handles round-tripping footage from fcpx to Motion and back. 

Motion sounds like a program i need to look into, haven't heard about it before. I bought magic bullet looks yesterday and i like it. Motion is defiantly my next purchase!

I just had a search around, and it seems the Send To app I mentioned has disappeared, both the free version, and the paid app store version. I have the free version. I haven't used it for a while, but it was working fine last time I checked. You export the xml of your fcpx project, then you open the xml in Send To, select which shot you want to work on, and it automatically sets up a Motion project with the rush preloaded with the correct in and out edit-points, ready for you to work on. Here's the post describing the app:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/743-now-you-can-send-clips-from-final-cut-pro-x-to-motion

Really sucks that it's not available anymore for anyone starting out with Motion. Anyone else have alternative methods for roundtripping clips from FCPX to Motion?

​I think so. Resolve, and especially Resolve 12, expected to be released every day now, is the perfect extension for FCP X. If, as you put it, your options are really limited there.

FCP X is lightyears ahead from other NLEs in terms of media management, and it's clip-based timeline paradigm is only comparable to the invention of the wheel. But here is the catch: it's an editor and little else. 

You'll never find a ceiling for CC in Resolve. On the other hand, many never find the door knob. Although I had been using Apples Color for years (and found it easier than CC within FCP7), it took me weeks to get anywhere near in Resolve, even after reading the whole manual and seeing the whole Ripple training by Van Hurkman. Too many options tend to confuse me. That's the same with After Effects. I spent many long nights trying to replicate some of the easier Andrew Kramer tuts, including matchmoving shots by advanced motion tracking. I was highly motivated, but I didn't succeed in the end. 

With a little lower expectations for Motion, it turned out to be very easy and intuitive, in comparison. Clear, comprehensible GUI.

Because I sometimes shoot raw, I need Resolve. But if I don't shoot raw, I often just grade within FCP X. There is Coremelts SliceX and TrackX (free demo available) Those can be combined with Color Finale, and suddenly you have everything within FCP X, roto-tools, Mocha tracker and elegant CC. Tried them all, but bought none, because if I very rarely need to do something more advanced, I switch to the free Resolve. Which, as many will confirm, has the best XML exchanges with FCP X. Again, compared to other NLEs.

You'll never find a ceiling for CC in Resolve. On the other hand, many never find the door knob.

​Nobody could describe it better!!! LOL!!! 

I can't understand how someone could spend so many hours programming something that is so complicated to use... Advanced CC is not easy anyway, but the learning curve in Resolve has no easy-in!!! ;-DD

​I think so. Resolve, and especially Resolve 12, expected to be released every day now, is the perfect extension for FCP X. If, as you put it, your options are really limited there.

FCP X is lightyears ahead from other NLEs in terms of media management, and it's clip-based timeline paradigm is only comparable to the invention of the wheel. But here is the catch: it's an editor and little else. 

You'll never find a ceiling for CC in Resolve. On the other hand, many never find the door knob. Although I had been using Apples Color for years (and found it easier than CC within FCP7), it took me weeks to get anywhere near in Resolve, even after reading the whole manual and seeing the whole Ripple training by Van Hurkman. Too many options tend to confuse me. That's the same with After Effects. I spent many long nights trying to replicate some of the easier Andrew Kramer tuts, including matchmoving shots by advanced motion tracking. I was highly motivated, but I didn't succeed in the end. 

With a little lower expectations for Motion, it turned out to be very easy and intuitive, in comparison. Clear, comprehensible GUI.

Because I sometimes shoot raw, I need Resolve. But if I don't shoot raw, I often just grade within FCP X. There is Coremelts SliceX and TrackX (free demo available) Those can be combined with Color Finale, and suddenly you have everything within FCP X, roto-tools, Mocha tracker and elegant CC. Tried them all, but bought none, because if I very rarely need to do something more advanced, I switch to the free Resolve. Which, as many will confirm, has the best XML exchanges with FCP X. Again, compared to other NLEs.

​wow i just checked their site and the lite program is free (?!), what is it that i miss out if i dont buy it? I'm downloading it right now. Also i have a 50D on the way, how does resolve deal with magic lantern footage?

​wow i just checked their site and the lite program is free (?!), what is it that i miss out if i dont buy it? I'm downloading it right now. Also i have a 50D on the way, how does resolve deal with magic lantern footage?

​The big feature you miss out on is noise reduction. Everything else is pretty much there. It's easily the best 'free' version of any software ever. 

​The big feature you miss out on is noise reduction. Everything else is pretty much there. It's easily the best 'free' version of any software ever. 

​i very rarely go higher than iso 400 so resolve sounds like a perfect match. Thanks for the help guys! I now know what im doing the rest of this very rainy week.

​i very rarely go higher than iso 400 so resolve sounds like a perfect match. Thanks for the help guys! I now know what im doing the rest of this very rainy week.

​The NR of Resolve isn't as good as Neat. There is also a Neat version as a Resolve plugin, but rather expensive ($250). If you have Neat already in FCP X, you can send the graded project back to FCP X and denoise there. This is advisable anyway. Workflow: Edit in FCP X (with retiming, but without effects and titles), send FCPXML to Resolve, grade, save, deliver (=render) with handles for possible changes or transitions, send XML back to FCP X, apply effects, render a master file.

If you don't have Neat, you can buy Photon Pro, which is a Motion-based plugin, which means it has no own GUI,  allows for more realtime within FCP X (though render times are equally long), and it's only $30 in the App store.

Rainy week? I'm curious how long it takes for you to figure out how to get more out of Resolve than of FCP X. Good luck!

​The NR of Resolve isn't as good as Neat. There is also a Neat version as a Resolve plugin, but rather expensive ($250). If you have Neat already in FCP X, you can send the graded project back to FCP X and denoise there. This is advisable anyway. Workflow: Edit in FCP X (with retiming, but without effects and titles), send FCPXML to Resolve, grade, save, deliver (=render) with handles for possible changes or transitions, send XML back to FCP X, apply effects, render a master file.

​I was always under the impression that for absolute best quality, denoise before grading, particularly when using LUTs. With that being said, I usually do it the way you described for simplicity and it usually works out fine. 

BTW, how do you add handles in Resolve? 

I tried resolve lite for a brief period... I found it too convoluted. Soon after, I downloaded the free trial of FCPX, and haven't looked back... In fact, I am just going to delete the entire program from my computer. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Resolve has more color controls, but for basic grades FCPX is more than enough... I may get Color Finale just to have a couple extra options.

​I was always under the impression that for absolute best quality, denoise before grading, particularly when using LUTs.

​You are right. 

BTW, how do you add handles in Resolve? 

Handles.jpg

BTW: I made a mistake in the short workflow description. It's : deliver (tab, with FCPXML setting and handles), render, save, then goto edit tab and export XML. This is to save BrorSvensson some headaches.

​You are right. 

Handles.jpg

BTW: I made a mistake in the short workflow description. It's : deliver (tab, with FCPXML setting and handles), render, save, then goto edit tab and export XML. This is to save BrorSvensson some headaches.

Thanks for the help! Im going to start playing with it this evening​