Samsung NX1 External Recorder Question

cjwilliams0013

I use my NX1 for creating commercial and promo videos for work. I have been asked to recored a day training on a new product for executives that will be out of town. If I use an external recorder will that bypass the 29 min limit the NX1 has for video? Also I have not tested any external recorders with the NX1, does anyone know the best one to record 1080, I think 4k would be overkill for what needs to be done and the length that needs to be recorded.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It will bypass the recording limit, but you're still limited by the cameras temprature and battery life, which I know little of. Test if the camera can record two consecutive 30 min clip and test the battery life, these should tell you how much you can record using an external recorder. 

I think 4K is the best option, just record a small codec like ProRes LT. 

It will bypass the recording limit, but you're still limited by the cameras temprature and battery life, which I know little of. Test if the camera can record two consecutive 30 min clip and test the battery life, these should tell you how much you can record using an external recorder. 

I think 4K is the best option, just record a small codec like ProRes LT. 

That test is irrelevant. When you use an external recorder you do NOT record using the camera at all. The camera is simply turned on (in video mode). The camera record button is not used, and little heat is generated. The question is in this state, does the NX1 provide a clean HDMI output and what specs? As for battery life - you can just attach a usb cable to any external power source, including gigantic external batteries yielding 5V, 1+ Amp output. Even the internal battery will last hours if the camera is simply turned on and not recording (check the power option to make sure it does not automatically turn off after an interval).

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​did not 

The test is relevant. He did not state he's going to be using an external power solution, so testing the internal battery life is a crucial test in knowing how long he can record, and even if he uses an external power source, test that too. And also he did not state he's going to be recording only externally or both, so he should test however mode he's going to be using, if only externally. he should test how long that will last with the camera only in liveview, and if he'll do a simultaneous recording, he should test that too. 

To OP, in short, test your camera to know how long your camera is going to be able to record continuously before shooting an important job as yours. It's a must. 

The test is relevant. He did not state he's going to be using an external power solution, so testing the internal battery life is a crucial test in knowing how long he can record, and even if he uses an external power source, test that too. And also he did not state he's going to be recording only externally or both, so he should test however mode he's going to be using, if only externally. he should test how long that will last with the camera only in liveview, and if he'll do a simultaneous recording, he should test that too. 

To OP, in short, test your camera to know how long your camera is going to be able to record continuously before shooting an important job as yours. It's a must. 

​He stated he will use an external recorder - that is the only way to bypass the 29-minute limit - as this is an all-day event. So testing how long the battery lasts while recording internally is useless  Moreover, an advantage of the NX1 is that you can power it externally using cheap external batteries attached by usb, so the internal battery life is also not relevant. For an all-day event, using an external recorder and an external battery will do the trick. And the NX1 can make use of both. The only question is whether there would be a heat issue leaving the camera on (but not recording) for a long time. I doubt that this would be an issue - the video is not being compressed by the camera when recording externally, which is the hard work.

Thanks for all the input guys, its is really helpful. To answer some of the questions that have been coming up, I will have external power so battery life is not an issue, Also this is an all day event, but it will be broken up into classes so I will be able to break and power the camera down between sessions. So hopefully that will bypass any heat issues, but it will also be a great test I can report back if I experience anything along those lines.