A7s Still Relevant?

Stakers

Currently, I am shooting with an NX1 and I love the images I am getting from it, however, the workflow is killing me. When I got the camera, I thought transcoding wouldn't be so bad, but a few months down the road, it's starting to take it's toll on me. The fact that I can't easily preview anything before I bring it in to edit (other than actually opening a player to view it - rather than using my preferred method of OS X spacebar preview) slows me down a lot and obviously transcoding doesn't speed anything up either... I shoot a lot of events so I end up with a ton of small clips that I need to look at to pick the right ones. 

SO I'm looking to either replace it or add something to my arsenal that I wouldn't have to wait hours to transcode before editing. What I'm curious to pick your brains about is if the A7s is still worth picking up nowadays with the looming A7r II coming soon. 4k isn't necessarily required (we just went HD about three years ago, so no plans to upgrade to 4k yet) but it is useful for talking head pieces. I also shoot in a lot of dimly lit situations that I am unable to light, so the A7s seems like it would be beneficial for said situations... The NX1 isn't terrible in lowlight, but I feel like our old Canon 6D used to handle lowlight much better and I'm missing that as well. 

Any thoughts would be great! I'm all ears (eyes?) to suggestions. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes it's relevant... But is that really the question? Or is the question "is it logical to buy right now?" If the latter I personally would wait to see what the A7Rii brings to the table. Launch is only a few weeks away now. What harm could come from waiting?

Im going to buy the Nx1 in the next couple of days (been saying this for a month now -.- but keep pushing it, its a huge investment for me), but if I were you, i'd either get the A7RII or keep the NX1, its one of the best video cameras around, even with the though workflow (and I have a feeling they will probably be addind H264 soon).

How could it be irrelevant?

Yes it's relevant... But is that really the question? Or is the question "is it logical to buy right now?" If the latter I personally would wait to see what the A7Rii brings to the table. Launch is only a few weeks away now. What harm could come from waiting?

​Perhaps a poor choice of wording. I guess the question would really be "is it logical to buy right now?" 

No harm in waiting, just curious to see what people think.

Im going to buy the Nx1 in the next couple of days (been saying this for a month now -.- but keep pushing it, its a huge investment for me), but if I were you, i'd either get the A7RII or keep the NX1, its one of the best video cameras around, even with the though workflow (and I have a feeling they will probably be addind H264 soon).

​Oh I love the look of the NX1 for sure... it quite unique in certain aspects, but I can't use it as a daily driver... Trying to find a way in my budget to keep it around (also works fantastic as a stills camera).

Every camera is as relevant as you make it. 

​This is true. I once wrote off the A7s, and now I've got it in sight again. 

Thanks for all the answers. 

In that case I would certainly wait. The A7RII looks to be killer.

Cameras such as the A7SII, A6100 and even GX8 are in the works, of which I believe shouldn't take all too long to get launched.

But there's already people making great use of other cameras that are availlable now, including the A7S, so if you have an immediate need, there's tons of great options out there and they're all relevant.

If nothing else, the release of the A7R II will lower the cost of a used A7S. :D 

To answer your original question, it's absolutely still logical to buy an A7S. Your workflow will be faster if you use PP4 or the Autumn Leaves creative style instead of SLog 2, but you'll still have the option if you ever need that extra DR. 

It doesn't give up that much to the NX1 for stills, either. Unless you're printing larger than 24x36, it's comparable all the way up the ISO scale and a little better at the high end of it (obviously). The 11+7 bit compression Sony uses for their RAW files tends to bother me, but a lot of people don't seem to mind. That's something for you to weigh on your own. 

And remember: if it still makes good images, no camera is irrelevant. Cheers!