First Rectilux samples...

wallpaperviking

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i have one and love it. I don't see a loss in sharpness and have shot with a 25mm SLR Magic taking lens wide open at T/.95. that creates razor-thin DOF, and have found that aiming for a T/2.8 to T/5.6 will be my goal. the optics are fantastic, it's super easy to assemble or swap out to a different scope. the ring that locks onto the taking lens is nice and snug. you'd have to try very, very hard to twist it out of alignment. in fact, while that has happened to me in the past with other setups, it has yet to happen with the Rectilux. And I'll be surprised if it will. Build quality is off the charts. And I just had a custom-made gear delivered from Helicopter Sean at followfocusgears.com.  My production company just wrapped a movie, so this week i plan to finally go out and shoot more substantial camera tests.  And if all goes well, i'll be using the Rectilux/Kowa B&H to shoot my third feature in August.

85LZoLO.jpg

it's £695. money well spent in my opinion. finally getting a chance to dial it all in. will be shooting another feature with it this summer. as the sun was setting yesterday, i quickly set it up with the three taking lenses I'll be pairing it with on my GH4. These are the cine lenses from SLR Magic: 25mm, 35mm, and their new 50mm.

These were all at a T/2.8, ISO 200, Hoya ProND 4, Hoya UV & IR Cut.

More substantial tests to come. I've ordered additional Rectigrips for each taking lens to make swapping them out nearly as fast as a single lens setup. this way the only difference is adjusting the vertical alignment because each lens will already be outfitted with the necessary step up ring and a Rectigrip of its own.

​How about f1.2? I'll have something before this week is over. :)

​I've tried it at T/.95 and didn't see any additional blooming or purple fringing that the taking lens didn't already have on its own. I'm using the Rectilux with my GH4, and I think T/2, T/2.8 and T/4 will be my target range.

From the limited image samples I've seen, it seems to have a slight edge over the FM Module in terms of sharpness and breathing character. Also the build quality and durability seems to be excellent.

I still wish that someone would go for the big enchilada and build an all-in-one 2x adapter that incorporates the cylindrical group and the focusing group into a single housing, Whoever does that will win all the marbles (as well as my money).

TBH I think both the rectilux and the fm deliver all that's needed in this market.  2x anamorphics are plentiful - kowa b+h and rectilux appears to be delivering good stuff on 25mm/35mm and 50mm on gh4 which equates to a 50mm/85mm and 135mm on 4perf s35.  

However I'd almost certainly need 25mm f0.95. 35mm f1.2 and 50mmf2 if I wanted to get anywhere near what a typical panavision set look like on s35 4 perf.  Even then, the b+h will never allow users to get that 35mm 2x + s35mm 4 perf 'wide combination' - the expansive anamorphic wide setup.

I'm currently developing a large 1.5x anamorphic lens with a spherical focusing section.  Main criteria is to deliver onto red weapon vista vision sensor with a 35mm taking lens.  this will match the fov and dof of a fast 2x anamorphic 35mm lens on 4 perf s35mm,  Being 1.5x it'll be more compact and way sharper than typical fast 2x anamorphs.   however the price point is gonna be rather high.

it's likely to be rental only, or for those who usually buy gear with intention of renting it out when not in use or who buy near the end of the financial year to offset their profits for tax reasons.  Multiple thousands unfortunately, however being something that will couple with 35mm and longer lenses on full frame, or 25mm on s35mm, or 15mm on gh4 in 4k, with only the need for one anamorph, i imagine it will be taken on board by a lot of the rental outlets. - some of which have already confirmed they would like to stock multiple units.  as a result, it'll rail mount onto almost any camera and turn 16:9 into 2.66 without needing to crop.  and with a rear element of 62mm diameter it should give you an idea of the light transmission the beast will allow.  Also being a unit not costing the rental houses 10's of thousands the rental price will be within easy reach of anyone serous enough to shoot proper anamorphic within a production environment.

yeah, I was never happy with skintones in any of the profiles other than natural and portrait. and trying to shoot flat always made noise worse. and using any noise reduction in-camera wreaks havoc with the noise, making it mushy. I prefer the noise to at least be sharp and detailed so it more closely resembles film grain.